Dublin v Kerry AISF

Started by tonto1888, June 29, 2022, 09:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Let's get it started.
Depends in Dublin's injuries clearing up by I reckon Kerry by 2-3

clubman21

yellowcard

This game no longer catches the imagination the way it might have done 10 years ago. Dublin are on the wane and neither side have been really tested to date. I think Kerry will win this and a bit more easily than most people expect. Dublin still have a good core group of players but are largely a team in transition and have very little off the bench now. I'm looking forward to Derry v Galway more than Kerry v Dublin as there is a novelty factor involved in a new side getting to an AI final. 

imtommygunn

A fit O'Callaghan plays Dublin win. He doesn't they don't.

Kilkenny still has it and will cause Kerry bother.

Johnny cooper for a red card assuming he plays >:(

Has the makings of a very good game.

blanketattack

Some people have this as like the 1977 semi-final, where the winner will also win the final, but that's what they thought with Kerry-Meath in 2001 and we saw how that panned out.

Midfield vital, more from play rather than kickouts with both teams likely to secure ~85% of their own kickouts. If Jack Barry is fit and can neutralise Fenton, that's half the battle for Kerry.
David Moran deserves to start after Mayo performance, has the legs for 3/4s of a game. Diarmuid O'Connor could be named wing forward but play as a 3rd midfielder.

Would be great to see everyone fit and a shootout (no, not a penalty one) between Clifford and O'Callaghan.

Hound

The role of the full back lines has been interesting this year. Kerry's FB line scored 4 points v Mayo, and Dublin's full back line make more driving runs forward than the half back line - it was pretty amazing that so many of Dublin's attacking plays involved one of Gannon, Murchan or Fitzsimons. 

It will be interesting to see if anyone blinks first re a sweeper. Dublin never play a proper sweeper, but they nearly always have a spare defender who then plays as a sweeper. So I think the Dubs would prefer if a Diarmuid O'Connor was picked at wing forward and played deep, which would allow Cooper play as sweeper (with particular emphasis on doubling up on Clifford).

If Kerry don't do that, the Dubs could pick one of Howard or Bugler at half forward, and ask them to drop back so we would play a conventional sweeper.  We haven't done that since Barry Cahill under Pat Gilroy, but now might be the time.

If Con's not fit, I think we'll need a change to play a ball winner in the full forward line. The Costello-Rock-Small trio didn't really fire v Cork.

Blowitupref

First championship meeting since the AI final replay in 2019. A lot has happened since then, Jim Gavin gone along with a number of retirements and long unbeaten championship run ended by Mayo.

Kerry had something to build on after that defeat in 2019 yet they allowed themselves to get knocked out of the championship in 2020 by Cork and a loose defence would eventually be their downfall against Tyrone in last years semi final. 

Hopefully Con O'Callaghan and David Clifford are declared fit to start and we get a drama filled high quality contest as these two teams are capable of producing.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 04, 2022, 04:40:33 PM
First championship meeting since the AI final replay in 2019. A lot has happened since then, Jim Gavin gone along with a number of retirements and long unbeaten championship run ended by Mayo.

Kerry had something to build on after that defeat in 2019 yet they allowed themselves to get knocked out of the championship in 2020 by Cork and a loose defence would eventually be their downfall against Tyrone in last years semi final. 

Hopefully Con O'Callaghan and David Clifford are declared fit to start and we get a drama filled high quality contest as these two teams are capable of producing.

Already a thread here B!

Paddy Neilan is the Ref. Hopefully nobody is talking about him afterwards. I'm sure he'll be fine.

I have a feeling Costello will bounce back for us after being very quiet the last day. But very worried about our defence...

Loughshore2022

It will be a Dublin v Derry final, a repeat of 1958. Of course I won't get a ticket though as I am not an important figure in my club. It doesn't matter if you attend county games or not, it all will come down to how popular you are in the club.

RedHand88

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on July 05, 2022, 12:12:22 PM
It will be a Dublin v Derry final, a repeat of 1958. Of course I won't get a ticket though as I am not an important figure in my club. It doesn't matter if you attend county games or not, it all will come down to how popular you are in the club.

Aren't you from Tyrone anyway?

ck

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 29, 2022, 03:19:19 PM
A fit O'Callaghan plays Dublin win. He doesn't they don't.

Yep its that simple for me too. If Con plays Dublin will beat Kerry I think. Dublin Galway final.

lenny

I can't believe that you're not popular. I simply refuse to believe it. You sound like brilliant craic.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ck on July 05, 2022, 05:12:06 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 29, 2022, 03:19:19 PM
A fit O’Callaghan plays Dublin win. He doesn’t they don’t.

Yep its that simple for me too. If Con plays Dublin will beat Kerry I think. Dublin Galway final.
Are you lads forgetting Con O'Callaghan played against Mayo last year and Dublin lost?

The fitness of David Clifford will be more of a decider than Con O'Callaghan.

armaghniac

No, you can buy a season ticket, these were introduced since 1993.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Kerry absolutely have to beat the Harlem Globetrotters. The last 3 years have been a disaster for Kerry
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU