Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 30, 2022, 12:29:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 30, 2022, 11:26:20 AM
One aspect I remember about the 98-01 Galway team (who beat Derry twice) is that they were consistently underrated.
All Kildare had to do was turn up. Meath beat  Kerry so they were unbackable. This was all groupthink.
A lot of people think Connacht football is all the same and follows the Mayo template. This is wrong.
Tyrone never won back to back but Roscommon did. No team in Ulster ever won 3 in a row. Galway did.

Galway footballers have 2 modes. Ridiculous and sublime. They know how to win in the latter mode. They are better than the hurlers.   
It's the culture.

Galway hadn't a chance against Armagh and now haven't a chance against Derry, long may that narrative continue.
We are a flawed team at the moment, but I saw lads in maroon last Sunday putting in performances and showing the type of guts that haven't been seen in years from the footballers, the heads should have been gone after the goals, instead they came back for more. I have no criticism of the effort and application.
Just like I would have said before the Armagh match if they show up with a performance against Derry and it's not good enough then there will be no complaints from the supporters.
No idea where you got that from.

Agree though Galway showed serious serious guts to come back after we went 2 up in extra time, as did we when we were 6 down or whatever it was with 14 men. Honestly thought looking at some of your lads after Rians free they were totally deflated, maybe the row helped your boys abit who knows. 

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 30, 2022, 01:02:49 PM
Who saying Derry raging favourites? Nobody on here. Would had Galway favourites on past meetings alone

Nearly all the pundits I've heard so far have tipped Derry and their slight favourites with the bookies.

Armagh18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 30, 2022, 01:07:54 PM
Who saying Derry raging favourites? Nobody on here. Would had Galway favourites on past meetings alone

Nearly all the pundits I've heard so far have tipped Derry and their slight favourites with the bookies.
Hardly makes them raging favourites. I don't think I could call it either way I keep changing my mind.

onefineday

He's trying to build a siege mentality. Betting on the game is essentially 50/50, which given galway are the only team to beat Derry this year (and by 11pts at home) represents brilliant value on Galway.
The Galway team of 98 - 01 played 4 all Ireland finals and after 98 weren't undervalued by anyone. They were favourites against Meath in 01 too and clear favs against Derry that day.

Wildweasel74

All the years watching Derry I think we beat Galway only once about 12yrs ago at the Glen. That long ago, all I remember is Enda Muldoon playing

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Dabh on June 30, 2022, 10:29:04 AM
Quote from: onefineday on June 30, 2022, 09:23:02 AM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on June 30, 2022, 08:34:19 AM
Jesus that game in 98 brings back bad memories  ,2001 Ciaran McNally going off injured was a huge blow we never recovered from , 2007 minors from memory we were leading near the end and had a scorable free overturned for a hop ball which i think Galway won and scored their goal from ( memory could be playing tricks on me though )

The minor memories ties in with my memory too - certainly I've always remembered it as a Galway goal with virtually the last kick to win it.
Conroy and McKaigue both survivors of that game!

McKaigue will not have happy memories of that hop ball - if i'm right it was awarded against him for goading after the initial free was won. 
Lot of 'outrage' at the time around Caffreys' Dublin doing it it and McKaigue was picked up for it. 

Never seen him do it since so prehaps there is a lesson there for those wanting to cut out unsavoury elements of the game.
Yep that's my recollection too for why the hop ball was given

Maroon Manc

Quote from: onefineday on June 30, 2022, 01:21:26 PM

He's trying to build a siege mentality. Betting on the game is essentially 50/50, which given galway are the only team to beat Derry this year (and by 11pts at home) represents brilliant value on Galway.
The Galway team of 98 - 01 played 4 all Ireland finals and after 98 weren't undervalued by anyone. They were favourites against Meath in 01 too and clear favs against Derry that day.

Might have been favourites against Derry but certainly weren't against Meath

galwayman

The only clear memory I have from that minor final really is jumping up and down in the kitchen when Damien Reddington scored the goal. We hadn't looked likely winners for most of the game I think.
Think the goal was 57th minute? So there was a few mins left.
I seem to remember a legitimate point being waved wide incorrectly in that game as well but my memory is sketchy on it.

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 30, 2022, 01:35:30 PM

Definitely were not favs against Meath.
This semi final is so hard to call.
The league game is irrelevant imo.
Derry are massively improved over the summer. Would like to think we have improved also.
Maybe I'm wrong but Derry seem to have a more defensive system in place now?
Hungover head on me that day in Owenbeg so maybe I'm mis-remembering but I can't recall Derry setting up overly defensive in the first half when it was still a contest.

armaghniac

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 30, 2022, 12:29:07 PM
Galway hadn't a chance against Armagh and now haven't a chance against Derry, long may that narrative continue.

Who said that Galway hadn't a chance? Not people in Armagh anyhow. Bookies had Armagh at a marginal advantage, but there was no talk of not having a chance.
Galway have a similar chance as Derry if they do not have several players suspended.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tbrick18

Quote from: galwayman on June 30, 2022, 01:40:40 PM

Derry are massively improved over the summer. Would like to think we have improved also.
Hungover head on me that day in Owenbeg so maybe I'm mis-remembering but I can't recall Derry setting up overly defensive in the first half when it was still a contest.

Def no clear favourites in this game.
It's 50/50 and to be honest, I'm probably more worried about this game than any of the others we've had this year.
We have always struggled against Galway, I don't honestly remember the last time we beat them.
The league game will be irrelevant as we were missing some personnel and we were not playing the same type of system.
But, Galway have had a much more useful QF that Derry have. That can only help them and instill some serious belief within the players.

Derry will need to be fully focused for the full 70+ minutes to be in with a chance and to not give away any soft goals like against Clare.

After the first half of Galway v Armagh I thought Derry would not have much to worry about. But by the final whistle I'd changed my mind. Either team would be  serious challenge.
Both teams are in similar positions, no-one expected us to get this far so it's all bonus territory. Both teams in with a chance and an AIF and both will want to take advantage.

It's exciting stuff and I'm looking forward to it big time!

Some really exciting match ups. Mckaigue v Comer/Walsh, Glass v Conroy, McGuigan v Kelly....great battles all over the field.
It could be some of the lesser known lights who win the game.

An Fhairche Abu

I saw the literal words from a poster here prior to the Armagh game that Galway had "no chance", I guess I was so surprised at that, against what I would have thought was an evenly enough matched game (I couldn't have called it) that I kept a closer eye than usual on previews and podcasts to see who they were tipping, when pressed they nearly all went for Armagh.
I'm seeing the same pattern emerge again, SG crew all went for Derry, and any podcast or article that has already referenced the semi match ups is going for Derry. I've yet to hear of any ex player calling the match for Galway but entirely possible that I've missed it.

oakleaflad

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 30, 2022, 02:16:06 PM
I saw the literal words from a poster here prior to the Armagh game that Galway had "no chance", I guess I was so surprised at that, against what I would have thought was an evenly enough matched game (I couldn't have called it) that I kept a closer eye than usual on previews and podcasts to see who they were tipping, when pressed they nearly all went for Armagh.
I'm seeing the same pattern emerge again, SG crew all went for Derry, and any podcast or article that has already referenced the semi match ups is going for Derry. I've yet to hear of any ex player calling the match for Galway but entirely possible that I've missed it.
Listened to RTE GAA pod and they went for Galway, "Big time" O'Rourke said. I can't see us blowing Galway away but I could see them beating us handy enough.

Armagh18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 30, 2022, 02:16:06 PM
Either winding or clueless. Derry maybe, maybe slight favourites but not for me.

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on June 30, 2022, 01:40:40 PM

The only thing about the League game was this
RTE
"Galway were able to press the Derry kick-out in numbers, forcing turnovers and sowing doubt in the home defence."
The result was a load of goals.
Derry have had it their own way so far in the championship.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU