The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

Quote from: Pugwash on April 13, 2022, 03:59:08 PM
Quote from: Chrimtain on April 11, 2022, 10:12:01 AM
Two Laois under 14 football development teams were well beaten by Offaly at the weekend. No reasons to be optimistic for the the future, as of yet.

And therein lies the problem, being results focused at under 14 level is absolutely ridiculous.

Development, Development, Development is all that should matter.

You can get hammered in a game and still pick out a number of positives if you're not blinded by the scoreline.

Fair point!!

Spiritof86

Looking forward to seeing the u20s tonight . Tonight is about getting a result against more than decent opposition  . Thought 15 quid a ticket was a little much for tonight though .

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Spiritof86 on April 14, 2022, 02:04:30 PM
Looking forward to seeing the u20s tonight . Tonight is about getting a result against more than decent opposition  . Thought 15 quid a ticket was a little much for tonight though .

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2022/04/14/laois-the-underdogs-as-leinster-u-20-football-campaign-to-begin-in-hawkfield/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I know its only Div3 football but there is something seriously wrong in Portlaoise

Result from Wed 13th
ACFL Division 3B Round 2

Graiguecullen  9-18
Portlaoise        0-5

The PRO

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on April 14, 2022, 05:00:03 PM
I know its only Div3 football but there is something seriously wrong in Portlaoise

Result from Wed 13th
ACFL Division 3B Round 2

Graiguecullen  9-18
Portlaoise        0-5
Graigue second team against Portlaoise third team? Or both third teams?

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: The PRO on April 14, 2022, 05:21:44 PM

Result from Wed 13th
ACFL Division 3B Round 2

Graiguecullen  9-18
Portlaoise        0-5
Graigue second team against Portlaoise third team? Or both third teams?

Graiguecullen's second team. To be fair, I hear they are fairly strong with a good few from their winning Minor team last year playing with the second team. Should give the Junior championship a good go.

Robbo

Hard luck to the U20s last night in an excitin game.
We could have snatched it at end. Fine margins.

Just think we were a little to easy to play against. kildare got a couple of scores where they carried the ball from deep and nobody laid a glove on them.
Dublin got a shock last night bit came through against westmeath. Offaly had a big win. Looks a competitive championship.

Keyser Söze

Wouldn't have a huge interest in football. Rarely comment on it etc.
But.
When you see what Westmeath did, how they celebrated it, and the positivity surrounding it all, wouldn't that have been a huge win for Laois!

By all accounts could have got over Westmeath.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Most certainly could have beaten Westmeath. We were the better team for most of that game but lacked the finish unfortunately.
Should give us a bit of a lift for next year, we're not that far off being a decent team.

Chrimtain

We should set the winning of the Tailteann Cup as a short term ambition for Laois footballers. I expect the prestige of the competition to only grow as the years go by.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Totally agree, It's a competition that we can realistically win. Much better than the Leinster Championship for counties like us.
Promotion from Div4 and a real go at this is certainly what we should be aiming for this year. Win that and it would be a great boost to attack the Leinster the following year.

Laois Rising

I think winning a Tailteann Cup in two year's time might be more realistic ambition. Sweep the carpet of many of the older players and really commit to blooding the younger players from our last 3/4 u20 squads and developing a new core squad not burdened by a legacy of sub-par performances and disappointing losses. Division 4 really gives the younger players an opportunity to develop as intercounty footballers and with a guaranteed minimum of three Tailteann Cup games next year that provides a minimum of 11 competitive league and championship games to progress a new Laois team. If managed properly, you should have a team backboned by the likes of O'Flynn, Greene, O'Sullivan, Heffernan, Kelly etc. These lads will be hitting their prime come 2024. By then, I would like to think we will see a physically strong Laois team that will be able to compete and match the intensity of most intercounty sides.

I know a lot of people were critical of Michael Quirke in the aftermath of his final game in charge and what he said about the players at his disposal then. He was probably right in many respects. We need to bring into the team young players with the necessary speed and physical attributes as well as potential to compete at intercounty level in it's modern guise. That's Billy's challenge for 2023.

clonadmad

Result from Wed 13th
ACFL Division 3B Round 2

Graiguecullen  9-18
Portlaoise        0-5

Their Minors conceded against Joseph's last night

Laois man

A big lack of interest in the club.

Laois man

I see we have to pay laois today now to follow our sports.