Great Performances in All Ireland Finals

Started by Maroon Manc, June 15, 2016, 11:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

It was still a lovely kick though.
Effortless technique.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

5 Sams

Mickey Linden 1994...tortured two or three different markers.
The Aristocrat Years

seafoid

Mickey Linden
Michael Donnellan
Pat Fallon

moysider

Quote from: thewobbler on June 15, 2016, 01:19:40 PM
Brian McGuigan's performance in the 2005 All Ireland final was as good as anything that any of us will ever see in our lifetimes. Better than that of Fitz, Joyce or Fallon because he did absolutely everything right for the entire match, in every corner of the field.

Philly McMahon was absolutely exceptional in last year's decider.

McGuigan sticks out for me as well. Perfect game.
Maurice Fitz was a brilliant but his display in '97 was mainly due to an incredible catatonic episode that has unfortunately happened to Mayo management on big days. Nearly 20 yrs. later it is still difficult to come to terms how we managed to butcher that one...... and so many others.

blewuporstuffed

Brian McGuigan's performance in the 2005 All Ireland final was as good as anything that any of us will ever see in our lifetimes. Better than that of Fitz, Joyce or Fallon because he did absolutely everything right for the entire match, in every corner of the field.

That's the one came to mind for me as well, although bizarrely he didn't even get MOTM that year  :-\
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Maroon Manc

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 16, 2016, 09:33:20 AM

That's the one came to mind for me as well, although bizarrely he didn't even get MOTM that year  :-\

Who did?

Walter Cronc

Enda Gormley 93 - after Cahalan gave him a belt on the mouth! :)

Maroon Manc

I hear down in Cork they think Tommy Sugrue was very influential for Meath in 1988.  ;)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 16, 2016, 09:41:36 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 16, 2016, 09:33:20 AM

Who did?

Mugsy
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rufus T Firefly

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned to date (or if it has I've missed it) but Cavanagh's tour-de-force in the 2008 All Ireland Final was the single greatest contribution I have seen in an All Ireland Final. He seemed to be everywhere between midfield and full-forward, making runs from the middle, through the heart of the Kerry defence, and kicking over sensational points . He essentially lifted his team and carried them across the finish line.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 16, 2016, 11:48:40 AM
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned to date (or if it has I've missed it) but Cavanagh's tour-de-force in the 2008 All Ireland Final was the single greatest contribution I have seen in an All Ireland Final. He seemed to be everywhere between midfield and full-forward, making runs from the middle, through the heart of the Kerry defence, and kicking over sensational points . He essentially lifted his team and carried them across the finish line.

yeah i think he got 5 points from play that day and deservedly MOTM.
Dooher was immense too right enough and kicked one of the best points I have seen in an AI final

AhNowRef

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 16, 2016, 11:48:40 AM

Yep, he won it for Tyrone that day .. His best ever performance.

ashman

Ones that spring to mind

84 - pat Spillane
90. - shay fahy
94 -  mickey linden
97 - maurice fitz
98 - donnellan
01 - padraig joyce
05  - dooher
08 - sean cavanagh
15  -  Brian Fenton

An Watcher

Did Kevin Hughes not get motm in one of those finals?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.