GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Hound on October 26, 2022, 08:15:43 AM
Quote from: twohands!!! on October 25, 2022, 04:38:44 PM

Will be interesting to see how many of these games will be €10 each on GAA Go.

Seems like this deal is all about swapping SKY PPV for RTE PPV.

Big difference between subscription model (Sky) and PPV model (GAAgo). Sky have some events on PPV like boxing, but never GAA. So if you are a Sky Sports subscriber or Dodgy Box holder, the Sky games cost you nothing. The option to drop round to the local to watch it is also unlikely to be an option with GAA Go.

We can see now why the GAA refused to allow Sky get more games, they wanted to expand GAA Go. More money in the coffers.

They'll offer a season ticket and will say this is great value at a few euro per week or a few euro per game, when you buy them all. But I'd say they'll try and fleece us with the price per individual game. They'll have big games too including at least one football provincial final and big games prior to the AI semi finals.

The football followers usually take these 'setbacks' lying down, but the hurling lads will create a big hullaballoo when they figure this all out!

Great news, since the vast majority of  profit is redistributed at grass roots.

seafoid

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 25, 2022, 09:50:35 PM
I'd there anything  to be said for another mass a  type of final score/soccer Saturday  type show for Rte on League Sunday's in particular?

#unbelievablemarty
good idea
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 26, 2022, 12:18:02 PM
Quote from: Hound on October 26, 2022, 08:15:43 AM
Quote from: twohands!!! on October 25, 2022, 04:38:44 PM

Will be interesting to see how many of these games will be €10 each on GAA Go.

Seems like this deal is all about swapping SKY PPV for RTE PPV.

Big difference between subscription model (Sky) and PPV model (GAAgo). Sky have some events on PPV like boxing, but never GAA. So if you are a Sky Sports subscriber or Dodgy Box holder, the Sky games cost you nothing. The option to drop round to the local to watch it is also unlikely to be an option with GAA Go.

We can see now why the GAA refused to allow Sky get more games, they wanted to expand GAA Go. More money in the coffers.

They'll offer a season ticket and will say this is great value at a few euro per week or a few euro per game, when you buy them all. But I'd say they'll try and fleece us with the price per individual game. They'll have big games too including at least one football provincial final and big games prior to the AI semi finals.

The football followers usually take these 'setbacks' lying down, but the hurling lads will create a big hullaballoo when they figure this all out!

Great news, since the vast majority of  profit is redistributed at grass roots.
But it's circular - taking 100% from the "grassroots" to give X% (a fair chunk less than 100%) back to the grassroots.
It's not as if non-GAA supporters are going to randomly pay for a GAA stream. It'll be the people who are already GAA supporters who pay for the streams. 

Heshs Umpire

Any guesses as to what a GAAGo annual pass will cost? Think it was €120 last year.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Armagh18

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on October 26, 2022, 04:31:52 PM
Any guesses as to what a GAAGo annual pass will cost? Think it was €120 last year.
€5 a game would be plenty tbh.

From the Bunker

Great to see RTE get a Monopoly on GAA Coverage. With such power, we should see them drive on to be a force in GAA coverage. There will be no resting on their laurels.

RedHand88

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on October 26, 2022, 04:31:52 PM

It'll be 150-200 with the extra games next year.

Rossfan

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 26, 2022, 04:37:14 PM
Great to see RTE get a Monopoly on GAA Coverage. With such power, we should see them drive on to be a force in GAA coverage. There will be no resting on their laurels.
Don't worry they'll fit it in between rugby games >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Didnt take long for wee Seamy Byson to give out anyway.

Eire90

when are national league fixture out

David McKeown

Very disappointed to see Sky lose out. A real benefit to me as I can't get RTE on an aerial where I live. So very handy also useful when RTÉ for some reason or other decide to broadcast on RTE1 which is only carried in SD on sky in the north and is practically unwatchable for hurling matches.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

ONeill

Has the increased exposure of GAA led to a greater uptake in people playing the games?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on October 26, 2022, 11:22:53 PM
Has the increased exposure of GAA led to a greater uptake in people playing the games?

You'd be thinking, no! Not in large numbers anyway. It was good for the converted in Britain who could get easier access to seeing games.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on October 26, 2022, 11:22:53 PM
Apparently not. A sizeable number of people left the Tyrone panel despite an uptick in GAAGO revenues, per the ESRI.
The correlation is low. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU