Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Quote from: Spike on June 21, 2022, 11:35:01 AM
Quote from: bannside on June 20, 2022, 08:45:02 PM
No white smoke on the senior football management position. Lots of potential candidates are actively involved with clubs or have ongoing commttments atm, so most are unlikely to look further than their ongoing project!

We took a bit of a punt last time out, and if we are to learn lessons from that we should be looking for experienced hands this time around imo. There is no hurry, a month or six weeks will make absolutely no difference to the preparation of the squad, but will allow those interested enough in seeing who is available a bit more time to come up with the right management team.

It would have been quicker for you just saying no one has applied for the job yet BS :)

Agreed the criteria list looks higher than it previously has.  Rewards for the successful candidate must then be commensurate.

Unless it is an internal appointment (please God no), you would hope the new man will be in place to view and assess the club championship in full.

My own club agreed to nominate two candidates but when we contacted them neither were interested. Both are currently in roles.
The nomination process is unlikely to garner anything and the application process is likely to be no better (Do top managers even apply for jobs?).
I'd like to think the county will put together a high caliber head hunting committee and approach the right men. 

ck

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 21, 2022, 11:18:28 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 20, 2022, 10:12:02 PM
They'll have to be interviewed by the board first in fairness...

Be a cracking interview  ;D

Jim Gavin or no-one.

As ridiculous as this sounds but Why not? He should be approached if we think he's the right man. Mickey Harte and Louth is the example we should follow.

Spike

Quote from: ck on June 21, 2022, 11:54:57 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 21, 2022, 11:18:28 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 20, 2022, 10:12:02 PM
They'll have to be interviewed by the board first in fairness...

Be a cracking interview  ;D

Jim Gavin or no-one.

As ridiculous as this sounds but Why not? He should be approached if we think he's the right man. Mickey Harte and Louth is the example we should follow.

it is unlikely but i don't believe it is ridiculous to approach or headhunt the right candidates (regardless of if they have a current role or not).    Often waiting on someone coming free is just wasted time.   

geezer

Would malachy o'rourke have any interest in taking it?

bannside

Not many here know this, but an official approach was put to MH two years ago, and about a day after he had verbally committed to Louth, but it hadn't been made public! Allegedly if our timing had been better it would have received proper consideration. So, fair play to our county officers for at least having the ambition to make that call.

As far as I know a sub committee has been drawn up to get this matter sorted. Hopefully they will show similar ambition and go for an experienced name who has an obvious track record of working at this level.

But as I said....a lot of potential candidates are actively involved in club or county scene - but six weeks could change a lot of that. Patience here is key.

bannside

Geezer - Mal is exactly the kind of example we are talking about. He lost an Ulster final to Kilcoo, obviously his focus is winning John McLaughlin again with Glen and going one better. But your ambition is correct. Mal a serious operator. A serial winner too.

geezer

Would be great to have a manager of his calibure. Be difficult to get him away from Glen though IMO, potential All Ireland in the team.

EOC1923

There should be more options with the split season county/club. Look at Mickey McShane

bannside

Talking of Kilcoo... Conleith has a new two year remit there and for obvious reasons wouldn't even engage on the Antrim subject! Another serious operator. All about the timing.

Don't think we need to panic...keep shaking a few branches and you never know. Feel free all to generate a few warmed up leads....this belongs to us all.

Dunsilly King

Quote from: bannside on June 21, 2022, 06:20:55 PM
Talking of Kilcoo... Conleith has a new two year remit there and for obvious reasons wouldn't even engage on the Antrim subject! Another serious operator. All about the timing.

Don't think we need to panic...keep shaking a few branches and you never know. Feel free all to generate a few warmed up leads....this belongs to us all.

Are you suggesting we 'take a punt' on someone who has never managed a senior club team for the Antrim senior county team? His success as a coach is on the back of Mickey Morans coat tail.

EOC1923

You beat me to it DK, some hypocrisy on show

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on June 22, 2022, 09:44:00 AM
You beat me to it DK, some hypocrisy on show

I think Bannside is throwing out names, as are a lot of people, I'd say if he had his choice it wouldn't be Conleith
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Caesar

Having experienced working with Conleith Gilligan, he is a very impressive operator.  Without doubt he would add value to any management team in the country.

There's a reason Micky Moran headhunted him as his no. 2 at Kilcoo and they went on to win the club AI.

EOC1923

No one doubting that, just highlighting Bansides hypocrisy, Antrim should ever have taken a punt on EMcG he had no experience etc etc now he's throwing names in that have never actually managed a senior team. I'm a big fan of Deets by the way, I'd say I know him better than most on here.

country bumpkin

But were we really taking a punt on E Mc G....and the team he assembled wit the experience of All Ireland positive trails behind them with the medals to prove success.

Despite taking us from the basement lotta negativity on this board....which I am sorry to say follows a trend..

Jeez do we expect a lot of applicants to make application for the post, and looking within how many honestly look closely into their own domain and note individuals the previous management overlooked...