Obama Visit

Started by Capt Pat, May 23, 2011, 09:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Quote from: armaghniac on May 25, 2011, 03:25:46 PM
QuoteI'm more concerned that he didn't use the opportunity to raise subjects of substance with Obama, like, I don't know, why Ireland's attempt to burn 30bn worth of bondholders was blocked, seeing as it was a proper bilateral meeting.

How do you know what issues he raised with Obama?

Because he said so himself:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/presidential-visit/taoiseach-admits-to-not-asking-crucial-questions-2656567.html
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Rav67 on May 25, 2011, 03:27:43 PM
Still, if it does manage to get a few tourists in the country (I doubt whther it will) then it'd be worth it.

The visit is only supposed to be worth about €150 million in advertising to the country.

Hardly worth it really

Banana Man

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 25, 2011, 03:44:54 PM
Still, if it does manage to get a few tourists in the country (I doubt whther it will) then it'd be worth it.

The visit is only supposed to be worth about €150 million in advertising to the country.

Hardly worth it really

where did you rip that figure out of (apart from your arse)

AbbeySider

Quote from: Banana Man on May 25, 2011, 04:19:02 PM

Hardly worth it really

:D :D :D

Time magazine and the Irish Independent
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/24/swilling-becomes-shilling-is-obamas-guinness-taste-test-worth-millions-to-the-company/

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/presidential-visit/presidential-pint-of-plain-worth-millions-to-guinness-2655154.html

Try reading something other than The Sun once in a while

AQMP

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 25, 2011, 04:37:56 PM

Hardly worth it really

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/24/swilling-becomes-shilling-is-obamas-guinness-taste-test-worth-millions-to-the-company/

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/presidential-visit/presidential-pint-of-plain-worth-millions-to-guinness-2655154.html

Actually if you read the report the €150mill figure is an estimate from Dublin Chamber of Commerce.  In other words they ripped it out of their arse ;)

AbbeySider

Quote from: AQMP on May 25, 2011, 04:52:35 PM

Hardly worth it really

Actually if you read the report the €150mill figure is an estimate from Dublin Chamber of Commerce.  In other words they ripped it out of their arse ;)

How long is a piece of string?  ;)

Banana Man

Quote from: AQMP on May 25, 2011, 04:52:35 PM

Hardly worth it really

there's a shock, a manufactured figure that abbeysider is quoting, he backed of before when i tackled him about the so called benefits of the 2 visits in times of heavy austerity

also kenny was caught spluttering when joe higgins asked him to detail how much the bill was - inda didn't have the figures available

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 25, 2011, 11:13:09 AM
An Taoiseach did well. Watched it there yesterday, good job done.

inda should be giving ht team talks to your lads, such was his inspirational words .......................... I though he was going to drop kick someone such was his venom

Eamonnca1

Quote from: ross matt on May 25, 2011, 11:00:02 AM
As a journalist said he should at least have referenced who he was quoting.
Right, so he should have said "and for the benefit of the politically illiterate, that's a quote from Obama's acceptance speech"? Yeah, that would have been smooth.

ross matt

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 25, 2011, 06:41:22 PM
Right, so he should have said "and for the benefit of the politically illiterate, that's a quote from Obama's acceptance speech"? Yeah, that would have been smooth.

Eamon normally I find your posts intelligent so you're obviously being deliberately thick and sarcastic this time. Have a listen to Obama's speeches where its either "in the words of" or "as one of your great poets says". It was widely covered in media circles that FG f**ked it up by not covering that end of it. So maybe no need for the extreme trashing of my opinion. I think you know well what I (and others) meant.

Rav67

Hardly worth it really

::) Clearly I was talking about Inda's raucous speech and not the visit itself.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: ross matt on May 26, 2011, 12:13:29 AM

Eamon normally I find your posts intelligent so you're obviously being deliberately thick and sarcastic this time. Have a listen to Obama's speeches where its either "in the words of" or "as one of your great poets says". It was widely covered in media circles that FG f**ked it up by not covering that end of it. So maybe no need for the extreme trashing of my opinion. I think you know well what I (and others) meant.

Well I am in a thick and sarcastic mood these days (well spotted  ;D), but in all seriousness I honestly don't think attribution would have added anything to the speech. I think that would have been patronising to the audience, implying that they wouldn't have known who said the original words. I mean if I said "ask not what your county board can do for you, ask what you can do for your county board," would it really be necessary to prefix it with "to paraphrase JFK" or would it be better to let the audience make the obvious connection themselves? Sometimes if you spell everything out too much for the audience you lose some of the effect. It's like telling a joke and then explaining why it's funny, it'd completely take away from the effect you're trying to have.

ross matt

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 26, 2011, 01:01:51 AM
Quote from: ross matt on May 26, 2011, 12:13:29 AM

Well I am in a thick and sarcastic mood these days (well spotted  ;D), but in all seriousness I honestly don't think attribution would have added anything to the speech. I think that would have been patronising to the audience, implying that they wouldn't have known who said the original words. I mean if I said "ask not what your county board can do for you, ask what you can do for your county board," would it really be necessary to prefix it with "to paraphrase JFK" or would it be better to let the audience make the obvious connection themselves? Sometimes if you spell everything out too much for the audience you lose some of the effect. It's like telling a joke and then explaining why it's funny, it'd completely take away from the effect you're trying to have.

I doubt anyone there knew the original words Eamon. (we're not that well versed in Obama oratory) It was picked up on by the media the following day. Anyway I was only making a point that many others made. It was a very short but enjoyable event and Enda and his speech didnt add or take from it in any way. Like I said before his image was better on the world stage than that of Cowen and for once it was good to see that slieveen Ahern take a back seat when the US president was over.

magpie seanie

This is ridiculous. Are we getting to be so thick that we have to be told everything? Sorry, my mistake - I know the answer to that.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: ross matt on May 26, 2011, 08:25:10 AM
I doubt anyone there knew the original words Eamon. (we're not that well versed in Obama oratory) It was picked up on by the media the following day. Anyway I was only making a point that many others made. It was a very short but enjoyable event and Enda and his speech didnt add or take from it in any way. Like I said before his image was better on the world stage than that of Cowen and for once it was good to see that slieveen Ahern take a back seat when the US president was over.

Jesus, God forbid if Cowen were still in charge. He'd have been half cut, would have slurred his words and would have been booed off the stage. Did you see the skit Jay Leno did on him? Cowen literally turned the country into a laughing stock.