The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

So have we went from we're going to win the world cup to we're going out?? You would think so reading here...

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2023, 08:59:12 AMSo have we went from we're going to win the world cup to we're going out?? You would think so reading here...

Don't think anyone genuinely believes the Scots can bother us. Historically Irish sports teams don't deal too well with being front runners.

trailer

There's no excuse for Ireland not winning this world cup. They are the best team. They are the best prepared team. They have won 25 games in a row.

They are peak New Zealand. Get your table booked for the final and book Monday the 16th off.

Joeythelips

Ireland showed against SA that they are certainly in the running to win the WC, but they also showed plenty of weakness in that game. Lineouts were an obvious issue and certain players did not perform to usual levels but still to come through such an intense game and have a break before next challenge is a big bonus.

We can only take it one game at a time though given the draw, beat Scots and we face All Blacks in QF. They may not be the best AB team ever but they will fully believe they can beat Ireland and any chinks in our armour will be exposed. If we do get over them we most likely face a Welsh team on an upward curve since 6 nations. Again they would fancy themselves against Ireland, get over that and its most likely the French on home turf or SA again in final.

Can Ireland win it? of course.

Will they? No one can say for sure, they will need to play their best in each game and a sprinkle of good fortune. Its great for a small country such as ours (for arguably its 3rd most popular sport) to be in with a shout of being world champions.

imtommygunn

I would like to think we'll beat Scotland - though not a given - but I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if we won the world cup. I think it's too big a stretch.

seafoid

Ireland's advantages

Management
Squad depth
Accuracy
Sexton

Possible pitfalls

Injuries
SH nations improve significantly for playoffs
Psychology

Scenarios

France beat Sa, Ireland beat NZ - turns into 6N
SA beat France , Ireland beat NZ .Final meeting, pressure

Joeythelips

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2023, 10:20:13 AMI would like to think we'll beat Scotland - though not a given - but I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if we won the world cup. I think it's too big a stretch.

Why too big a stretch? We are number one ranked team in the world currently having won our last 25 games and just beat the holders and one of the favourites in toughest game of the competition so far despite our lineout being a disaster. I get our WC record in knockout is a disaster but we are entitled to be a bit optimistic surely.

We have Scotland up next, tricky game but Ireland should be beating them.
Then we have All Blacks. Can they beat us, of course they can. Can we beat them, absolutely. No one should be surprised with either outcome.
If we do win its Wales or Argentina. Again a tricky fixture but if we can beat SA and All Blacks by that stage no reason we cant beat either of those.  Then its a final most likely against France or SA. Again a massive game but we have beaten both in the recent past so again for me if we have made it that far its a 50/50 game.

Seriously tough route, granted but this is a World Cup and you have to beat the best to win it, same applies to the teams we face.

The All Blacks game will be massive given the narrative of Ireland never having won a knockout game and the All Blacks will bring their A game so any drop off from Ireland and we will be packing our bags but if Ireland play to form they have every chance of winning.

Again I get its tough to win it but I cannot say it would be a huge surprise if they did go all the way.

John Martin

We haven't won our last 25 games.

JPGJOHNNYG

We have won the last 16 and 28 of the last 30, so still pretty good

seafoid

Joe Schmidt is involved with NZ. Adding some spice

trailer

If Ireland don't win this World Cup it will be up there with NZ not winning in 07.
It will be Kerry losing to Offaly in 82
It's Loserpool losing to Wimbledon in the 86 cup final and City losing to Wigan in whatever year.

They are the best team and I cannot see them being beaten. There is a coolness to them. They are relaxed. Confident but not cocky. Assured.

weareros

Rugby is a game that takes its toll. Route to world cup likely includes South Africa (already beaten in a draining game), Scotland, New Zealand, Wales, France or SA again. Generally you could expect a top team to be removed in the other half. If Ireland are to win, that will not be the case. Will have to beat 5 of Top 6 ranked teams (by the time we meet Wales, they will have taken 6th spot from England). It's a tall order. Arragh we'll win the whole feckin thing no bother.

shawshank

Quote from: weareros on September 28, 2023, 02:06:33 PMRugby is a game that takes its toll. Route to world cup likely includes South Africa (already beaten in a draining game), Scotland, New Zealand, Wales, France or SA again. Generally you could expect a top team to be removed in the other half. If Ireland are to win, that will not be the case. Will have to beat 5 of Top 6 ranked teams (by the time we meet Wales, they will have taken 6th spot from England). It's a tall order. Arragh we'll win the whole feckin thing no bother.

Thats fair enough but all the other teams have a similar path, no easy routes for anyone, Ireland are as well placed as the rest to cope.

imtommygunn

IF we get as far as Wales in the semi finals that is a much softer game than the rest tbh. Then the other side would probably get England who in the grand scheme of things are also probably soft enough.

Estimator

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 28, 2023, 01:29:12 PMWe have won the last 16 and 28 of the last 30, so still pretty good

A win against Scotland and in the QF will bring them alongside the AllBlacks and England for most consecutive wins for a Tier One nation.

Ireland ended both of their winning runs!
Ulster League Champions 2009