The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: gawa316 on January 24, 2021, 06:01:27 AM
Quote from: screenexile on January 24, 2021, 05:45:47 AM
Wow! Totally outclassed there by a supposedly weaker fighter.

Conor been shown up badly a few times now is it a case that he made hay early in the UFC and maybe he's not as great as the hype made out??

I thought he was looking solid enough, won the first and then it was over in a flash. Thought at the time the ref stopped it too early but didn't see any complaining from McGregor
Exactly. "Totally outclassed by a supposedly weaker fighter" is utter nonsense. It shouldn't be a big shock that Poirier won. It isn't.
I thought there was a real chance of it happening before the fight.

Hound

Super performance by Poirier. You could see his confidence build when he felt McGregor's left and didn't get hurt.Really dismantled him.

Very impressive from Chandler too, but Hooker looked scared from the start, which certainly isn't like him.

I'd fancy Dustin against Chandler, although I think Chandler's style would have a better chance of upsetting Khabib.

Plenty of fights out there for McGregor, but his punching power doesn't seem to be nearly as frightening as it used to be

gallsman

McGregor won the first but it looked like the gameplan was largely to walk through whatever Poirier threw him and KO him. Same as in the Diaz fights, when that didn't happen early and Poirier showed he could take the shots, there was no Plan B. Ate a load of leg kicks that he made no effort to stop, his movement was secretly limited and he got caught by a world class, extremely heavy handed fighter.

Kavanagh's coaching really has to be called into question, again. He's a yes man and has been before. Didn't try to say anything to him about the kicks between the rounds.

JimStynes

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on January 24, 2021, 05:58:49 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 24, 2021, 05:44:32 AM
All that hugging and shaking hands didn't work this time anyway. He'd be safer retiring
Stick to the cycling

He would be safer retiring. Sure what's he left to prove. He's more money than all the fighters put together. He seems to have lost thst nasty streak he once had and that chip on the shoulder. Was it Marvin Hagler's quote, 'it's tough to get out of bed to go running at 5am when you've been sleeping in silk sheets'. I'm sure he doesn't want his children seeing him getting knocked out either and another child on the way. Massive pressure on him to win his next fight if he does come back.

STREET FIGHTER

Conor been shown up badly a few times now is it a case that he made hay early in the UFC and maybe he's not as great as the hype made out??

Nonsense....

Poirier is a brilliant fighter and has beat all in front off him recently other than Khabib....

McGregor's next move will be interesting.....

Gmac

Say what you want about Conor but he has taken all his defeats and his victories for that matter with humility.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Gmac on January 24, 2021, 07:55:28 PM
Say what you want about Conor but he has taken all his defeats and his victories for that matter with humility.

Before fights, he's selling tickets/TV subscription. After fights, he's just happy it's over.

nrico2006

Looked completely different in there last night. Didn't seem loose and how whole stance was completely different than I had previously saw. He never really carries a high guard but did from the start last night.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on January 24, 2021, 07:26:02 PM

Nonsense....

Poirier is a brilliant fighter and has beat all in front off him recently other than Khabib....

Sorry I missed all you genuises saying Poirier would win the fight and obviously the bookies having McGregor odds on favourite was a typo or something? ::)

JimStynes

I think the post fight press conference showed this new McGregor more than the build up. He more or less said he didn't even feel that pissed off about the loss and he didn't know why he felt like that. Dana White said McGregor stepped off at 400ft luxury boat before before the fight. He's bound to have lost an edge and that drive to succeed. That mixed in with the inactivity is a bad mix.

All the personal stuff aside it is amazing what McGregor has done and in a relatively short space of time. A global superstar and mega rich in the space of 7/8 years. What a story it is, it's just a shame he's ruined thst a bit with all the other shit going on. Saying that, give any fella around home 100m quid and all the fame and a good lot would go buck mad with it too.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: screenexile on January 24, 2021, 10:01:20 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on January 24, 2021, 07:26:02 PM

Nonsense....

Sorry I missed all you genuises saying Poirier would win the fight and obviously the bookies having McGregor odds on favourite was a typo or something? ::)

Saying less is sometimes more....

It's no massive surprise...bookies or no bookies...

STREET FIGHTER

Dustin Poirier....

Beat Max Holloway
Beat Diego Brandão
Beat Carlos Diego Ferreira
Beat Anthony Pettis
Beat Justin Gaethje
Beat Eddie Alvarez
Beat Max Holloway again
Beat Dan Hooker

And then

Beat Conor McGregor

nrico2006

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on January 24, 2021, 10:55:46 PM
Dustin Poirier....

Beat Max Holloway
Beat Diego Brandão
Beat Carlos Diego Ferreira
Beat Anthony Pettis
Beat Justin Gaethje
Beat Eddie Alvarez
Beat Max Holloway again
Beat Dan Hooker

And then

Beat Conor McGregor

5 losses sandwiched in there too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

trailer

Great to see McGregor bate. He has no class or manners. He epitomises everything that is wrong with that sport. An arrogant arsehole.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Gmac on January 24, 2021, 07:55:28 PM

This is spot on, despite his behaviour before fights etc. Leads me to believe, deep, deep down there is a somewhat decent human there. Despite all the ahem....rumours.