Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2021, 01:54:43 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2021, 01:05:15 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 21, 2021, 10:35:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2021, 10:16:53 PM
Should tickets not go through the clubs? Club members should get the jump on tickets before the bandwagon support

Many club members don't go near a game all year until there's a final.

There's also plenty of balloons running up and down the country 'supporting' their county, who wouldn't lift a finger to help their local club.

You know the type - young fella always has the most up to date strip, been at every McKenna Cup match since the big snow of 47 but the only players he could name on the club team are the 2 boys playing for the county.

I know who I'd rather give a ticket to.

What about the club members who never go to a county game? Have they any more right to a county ticket than a predominantly county supporter?

I know of lots of people who don't really have much association with their local club, for a number of reasons. A lot of clubs are clannish, two or three families running the show, looking after themselves. It's hard to feel involved if you weren't a top player or don't come from a local footballing dynasty. Or maybe your kids don't play, so you're less likely to stay involved.

Firstly, I'd always prioritise the members of the association over the non-members.

Lets face it - a county match is a nice day out, but it's not exactly work and it does little to help the association other than the price of the ticket (which in our example is a moot point - as the tickets will be sold anyway).

Someone who coaches the kids teams, washes the jerseys, turns up at club fundraisers, takes a job on the committee etc is IMO far more crucial to the GAA than some Nigel who only follows the county team

And should be treated as such when tickets are being allocated - no matter how many times said Nigel has seen the county team play this year

armaghniac

Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2021, 05:37:32 PM
Someone who coaches the kids teams, washes the jerseys, turns up at club fundraisers, takes a job on the committee etc is IMO far more crucial to the GAA than some Nigel who only follows the county team

And should be treated as such when tickets are being allocated - no matter how many times said Nigel has seen the county team play this year

I think this is beyond doubt. However, Nigel would probably argue that he should get a ticket in preference in the brother in law of this guy who helps in the club, which is where the season tickets were useful.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Should tickets not go through the clubs? Club members should get the jump on tickets before the bandwagon support

There's also plenty of balloons running up and down the country 'supporting' their county, who wouldn't lift a finger to help their local club.

You know the type - young fella always has the most up to date strip, been at every McKenna Cup match since the big snow of 47 but the only players he could name on the club team are the 2 boys playing for the county.

What about the club members who never go to a county game? Have they any more right to a county ticket than a predominantly county supporter?

I know of lots of people who don't really have much association with their local club, for a number of reasons. A lot of clubs are clannish, two or three families running the show, looking after themselves. It's hard to feel involved if you weren't a top player or don't come from a local footballing dynasty. Or maybe your kids don't play, so you're less likely to stay involved.

Firstly, I'd always prioritise the members of the association over the non-members.

Lets face it - a county match is a nice day out, but it's not exactly work and it does little to help the association other than the price of the ticket (which in our example is a moot point - as the tickets will be sold anyway).

So there should be a pecking order when it comes to AI tickets?

One club member who helps out with the u-10's is more entitled to a ticket than one who cuts the grass? Surely contributing to the club via membership or lotto is important too, even if they don't participate in club activities as such. Not everyone has the time, knowledge or experience  to coach or sit as secretary/treasurer etc.

Milltown Row2

Prioritise paid up members who put the effort into their local club, I've no probs with that. Our club on finals day, the names go into a draw and only members can win the tickets, I'm sure our very generous sponsors receive tickets and rightly so.

At county level referees names go into a hat also, it's difficult to have it any fairer.

Any tickets that are not taken up go back to the county but that never happens.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 22, 2021, 06:49:30 PM
Prioritise paid up members who put the effort into their local club, I've no probs with that. Our club on finals day, the names go into a draw and only members can win the tickets, I'm sure our very generous sponsors receive tickets and rightly so.

At county level referees names go into a hat also, it's difficult to have it any fairer.

Any tickets that are not taken up go back to the county but that never happens.

Totally agree with above MR. I'd question that anyone who  doesn't respect that, isn't giving enough to their club, the lifeblood of our association.
I'd also question
Someone who is able to afford to go to several county games , but resents paying his local club a £25 annual membership

Ty4Sam

Mission
"The GAA is a community based volunteer organisation promoting Gaelic Games, culture and lifelong participation."

It's there in black and white, community comes first. Volunteers who put work into the local community clubs deserve to be rewarded, end of. Take these volunteers away and the whole deck of cards falls down. Those who pay membership to their local club are helping to fund the above, people who don't join their local club or their home club are going against the ethos of the organisation they claim to support.

imtommygunn

Yeah - too many have started to view it like premier league football. No clubs no game - simple as that. Mind you the way the GAA go about it you wouldn't think that sometimes.

tiempo

Disappointed the final has been put in Croke. Ulster final belongs in Ulster, there are enough top class venues in the province. I appreciate a few more people will get into Croke but then thats more people travelling further unnecessarily. I would say it gives Tyrone an edge, maybe in the same way Clones should give Monaghan an edge. Leave the spiritual home of the association for Dublin v Longford turkey shoot.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: tiempo on July 23, 2021, 09:34:44 AM
Disappointed the final has been put in Croke. Ulster final belongs in Ulster, there are enough top class venues in the province. I appreciate a few more people will get into Croke but then thats more people travelling further unnecessarily. I would say it gives Tyrone an edge, maybe in the same way Clones should give Monaghan an edge. Leave the spiritual home of the association for Dublin v Longford turkey shoot.

A few more people? If it was in ulster the capacity would have been 2,500. There'll be over 15,000 in croke park. That's a lot of people being given the opportunity to see their county in an ulster final that wouldn't have been if not switched.

Franko

Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2021, 06:13:20 PM

One club member who helps out with the u-10's is more entitled to a ticket than one who cuts the grass? Surely contributing to the club via membership or lotto is important too, even if they don't participate in club activities as such. Not everyone has the time, knowledge or experience  to coach or sit as secretary/treasurer etc.

Yes, there absolutely should.

Active GAA Members and Key Sponsors
\/
Non-Active GAA Members
\/
Nigels

Franko

Also, you do have the time.  You have exactly the same amount of time available as everyone else.

You choose not to allot that time to actively participating in the GAA.

So the GAA chooses not to allot you a ticket for big games.

Couldn't be fairer.

How could you make a case for the opposite?

JoG2

Quote from: Franko on July 23, 2021, 11:34:58 AM

\/
Non-Active GAA Members
\/
Nigels

I can't speak for any other county, but within Derry for example, I don't know of any of these Nigels well definitely not in the last few years. Take the last few years, games away down the country in Div 3 / 4. Derry might have had 20 max supporters. Not a single one of them would be the type of county supporter you seem to be fixated on. Each and everyone would be club men. Having ago at people for supporting their county the length and breadth of the country (especially a county like Derry when so many abandoned the county men in Div 3 and 4) is bizarre

Franko

Quote from: JoG2 on July 23, 2021, 11:44:23 AM

\/
Non-Active GAA Members
\/
Nigels

I can't speak for any other county, but within Derry for example, I don't know of any of these Nigels well definitely not in the last few years. Take the last few years, games away down the country in Div 3 / 4. Derry might have had 20 max supporters. Not a single one of them would be the type of county supporter you seem to be fixated on. Each and everyone would be club men. Having ago at people for supporting their county the length and breadth of the country (especially a county like Derry when so many abandoned the county men in Div 3 and 4) is bizarre

You are making no sense.

You said yourself that none of the supporters who followed Derry are the type I was talking about.

So how am I having a go at them???

Weird.

JoG2

Quote from: Franko on July 23, 2021, 11:48:13 AM

\/
Non-Active GAA Members
\/
Nigels

You are making no sense.

You said yourself that none of the supporters who followed Derry are the type I was talking about.

Weird.

So Derry wasn't in your thoughts at all then? Gotcha. The other counties clubmen will be glad to have you as a spokesman

trailer

Quote from: JoG2 on July 23, 2021, 12:19:45 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 23, 2021, 11:48:13 AM

\/
Non-Active GAA Members
\/
Nigels

You are making no sense.

Weird.

So Derry wasn't in your thoughts at all then? Gotcha. The other counties clubmen will be glad to have you as a spokesman

Here, just join your local club and ask for tickets through them. It doesn't cost much and sure it's a few pound to the local community. Don't get so worked up about it.