Is there a Recession going on at all?

Started by Orangemac, September 01, 2011, 11:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

I'm over de water in Sasanachstown and things are really starting to get tight. Gas prices are going up next month as is the price of my train ticket to work. Foods gone way up, the petrol was over £1:40 a few weeks ago but its dropped a bit since the hoors took Libya.

There are plenty of empty retail units around the town centres now and some that have been empty for a few years. Even on the high street. The other day they announced that manufacturing was at a 26 month low.

We're strictly shopping at Aldi and Lidl for groceries and have cut that down to £90 a month. Saving every penny for the next MOT and it'll need a new cambelt soon and its engine management light is coming on and off all the time. Dreading whenever it decides to go belly up.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

pintsofguinness

£90 a month on groceries?
how do you do that???
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

boojangles

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

firestarter

By dictionary definition we are. The reality however is that only an unfortunate few of us have had our lives turned upside down by this recession. The majority of us have had to tighten the belts a bit but we can't complain with our standard of living specially when we look around the world. Personally speaking I think most of us were living above our means anyway especially considering how poor the economy in Northern Ireland was.

muppet

Incredible that people can't see effects of the recession in the 26.

Are you people actually in the 26? The OP mentioned no shortage of new cars. New car sales have fallen over 50% in the last 3 years. Doesn't that sound like a recession? Not only are there hardly any new 2011 cars around but I rarely see any 2010 cars.
MWWSI 2017

firestarter

sorry should of specified i'm livin in 1 of the 'wee 6' and was referring to things here. South of the country is a different story altogether. I hear horror stories of how tough many people (mostly homeowners) are getting things at the moment and my heart goes out. The mortgage default figures tell the tale.

johnneycool

Quote from: firestarter on September 02, 2011, 08:51:40 PM
sorry should of specified i'm livin in 1 of the 'wee 6' and was referring to things here. South of the country is a different story altogether. I hear horror stories of how tough many people (mostly homeowners) are getting things at the moment and my heart goes out. The mortgage default figures tell the tale.

Being on the dole recently myself I was surprised to see the number of people out and about during the day, obviously not working so somethings got to give. I know a lad who works in the local offy and he says the takings are slighty up, so I'd say the pubs and restraunts might be taking a bit of a hit.

The building game is on its arse with tradesmen taking less that a third to do jobs that they were doing two to three years ago. In saying that they had it good back then with the likes of plasters taking over £1k a week. They're getting £250 to £300 a week now if they're lucky to be in work.

I think when the public sector in the North gets a bit of a trimming then reality will kick in for a lot of people.

The worse is yet to come IMO.

thejuice

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 02, 2011, 07:58:33 PM
Quote from: boojangles on September 02, 2011, 07:47:44 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 02, 2011, 06:58:36 PM
how do you do that???

Eat less.
They must only be eating every other day.

You just get what you need and buy things you can get a few days out of. Don't buy snacks at all. And when it comes to fruit other than bananas, for this month in particular we've gone out picking it in forests and country parks at the weekend. Got apples, wild plums and loads of blackberries.

BUt I remember someone told me about what poverty is really like in parts of Eastern Europe and it puts it all in its place. We all like to have a bit of a moan when we've had the frills cut off us but you learn you never needed them in the first place. He told me that in parts of Ukraine near Moldova there were lads who were selling a kidney to pay their bills.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Milltown Row2

What price a pint in Dublin now? Heading down tomorrow for the weekend hurling. (my 16th in a row!!)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: thejuice on September 02, 2011, 10:16:44 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 02, 2011, 07:58:33 PM
Quote from: boojangles on September 02, 2011, 07:47:44 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 02, 2011, 06:58:36 PM
how do you do that???

Eat less.
They must only be eating every other day.

You just get what you need and buy things you can get a few days out of. Don't buy snacks at all. And when it comes to fruit other than bananas, for this month in particular we've gone out picking it in forests and country parks at the weekend. Got apples, wild plums and loads of blackberries.

BUt I remember someone told me about what poverty is really like in parts of Eastern Europe and it puts it all in its place. We all like to have a bit of a moan when we've had the frills cut off us but you learn you never needed them in the first place. He told me that in parts of Ukraine near Moldova there were lads who were selling a kidney to pay their bills.

Actually I'm glad you said that. Been looking for info on my ancestors and some grim stuff turns up from the 1800s. Quite a few deaths in childbirth and a couple of truly horrific famine stories. We need to keep some perspective.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2011, 10:21:21 PM
What price a pint in Dublin now? Heading down tomorrow for the weekend hurling. (my 16th in a row!!)

Depends where you are,had one yesterday it cost €5.20.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

johnneycool

Quote from: laoislad on September 02, 2011, 10:24:47 PM

Depends where you are,had one yesterday it cost €5.20.

There'll be a few carryouts bought in Newry then.

Tony Baloney

I doubt you'll let the price put you off!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 02, 2011, 10:44:43 PM
I doubt you'll let the price put you off!

Yeah, Wife will no doubt tell me at the end of the month!! 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea