Tipperary vs Kilkenny - 2011 All Ireland Hurling Final

Started by TippTony, August 18, 2011, 12:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpower

What happens next????

gallsman

Highlight I hadn't seen during the game - throw ball between Shefflin and Benny Dunne. Henry dips instead of pulling, Dunne's hurl breaks across Shefflin's shins, Henry sticks it over. Magical.

theskull1

Gear grinding rugby and soccer advertising whilst folks want to watch hurling
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

gallsman

The two midfielders from the Sunday Game's Team, Fennelly and Rushe to pick up Player and Young Player of the Year?

4father

Quote from: gallsman on September 04, 2011, 10:36:16 PM
Highlight I hadn't seen during the game - throw ball between Shefflin and Benny Dunne. Henry dips instead of pulling, Dunne's hurl breaks across Shefflin's shins, Henry sticks it over. Magical.

I was just about to write that and noticed you beat me to it!!  Definitely a piece of magic from the King.

Shamrock Shore

Jesus.

I wished we were a hurling county!  :-\

That said, it would be nice if we were a football county either  :-\  :-\

Great occasion. Kilkenny worthy champions. Cody looked like a man who had a death sentence commuted to free wine gums for life. He took last year badly and he must have taken today as redemption. Which wasn't needed. What has he done - 8 All Irelands in 13 years. Class act.

Mayo4Sam

Talking of handy frees and letting the game flow I thought the KK lads were right on the edge, everytine a tipp lad got the ball there was a little pull of the arm and then let go, would have been soft frees but it was systematic throughout the game
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

tyroneman

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rossfan

Quote from: gallsman on September 04, 2011, 09:31:57 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 04, 2011, 09:14:13 PM
Quote from: saffronandblue on September 04, 2011, 07:11:51 PM
...........and that ref needed checking, he tried his best to keep Tipp in the game by giving them soft frees.  Would love to see him mark the Gooch.  The game would have been over at half time had the ref not given Tipp some very soft frees in scoring positions.  Not sure who the Kilkenny lad was, who was swung around the neck with a few minutes to go and no free given, unreal.

I thought the same.
Those bloody hurlin refs get away with murder ... one sided decision making , men half killed and no frees ...  if a football ref makes one mistake in a game the Sunday game gob pundits go to town on him. Yet all the hurly burly crowd want is the Ref to "let it flow" and then he's grand. ::)
Kilkenny should have been much firther ahead at the end they were so dominant. Shows they're slipping. In 07 or 08 they'd have won that one by 8 or 10 points.
Anyway here's hoping for 2 new teams to make the Hurling Final next year as it's all getting a bit stale for us neutrals.

I hope that was said in jest. The two of them have provided three of the most exciting finals in memory over the last three years.
Why were there loads of spare tickets floating around yesterday ???
If Limerick/Wexford/Waterford etc  were in it there wouldnt have been a sniff of a ticket anywhere.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

shawshank

Quote from: gallsman on September 04, 2011, 10:36:16 PM

unbelievable piece of skill. The second KK goal i thought was magnificant hurling

AQMP

An intense, enthralling game rather than a classic but a phenomenal display by Kilkenny.  The scoreboard flattered Tipp and KK should have been 10 in fromt at half time.  As another poster states after the 2nd goal they faffed about a bit, trying to work the ball in a for another goal instead of taking a "handy" point.  The KK backs were sensational, Walsh (why do RTE insist on referring to him as "Welsh"?), can be a hateful hoor but what a hurler, JJ Delaney didn't put a foot wrong, Paul Murphy had a huge game and Jackie Tyrell was...Jackie Tyrell.  Larry Corbett and Eoin Kelly hardly got a touch.  Up front Shefflin was masterful, the two Fennellys were brilliant and if Eddie Brennan is finished we'll take him in Antrim all day!

On a few specific point it would ahve been interesting to see what would have happened had Walsh hit a Tipp player instead of the ref.  The foul against Tyrell down in the Canal corner was given for Jackie leading with the head on a Tipp forward.

sheamy

Kilkenny are an insipration to watch. As good a team that played any sport ever.

Croí na hÉireann

Well apart from TJ starting that worked out as I expected, although if I knew KK were gonna be so sharp and Tipp so lax I would have predicted more than a 2 point win and it should definitely have been more than 4. JJ and Tommy were immense in the half back line and Tipp just couldn't keep them quiet. Hogan had a savage game on Noel McGrath as well and that line was the foundation for their victory. They got their match ups right inside this year and won midfield hands down, never seen Shane McGrath so anonymous.

Power lead the charge on the half forward line and Henry went to town on O'Keeffe, which is some achievement seeing as his pace has gone. Fennelly was flying inside and made a mockery of the injury concerns. Brennan and Hogan were the quietest of the forwards but linked up brilliantly for one of the goals of the year, some finish.

I thought Pauraic Maher got his just rewards for acting the bollox in the semi final, didn't get the benefit of the doubt from Brian Gavin and was kept busy by Brennan. Fair play to the ref for carrying on after getting swiped, Tommy mustn't be happy just assaulting the opposition these days  :P To be fair his wasn't the only hurl flying about but his luck will run out some day.

Well done the Cats, wonder will there be any/many retirements?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

tyroneman

The KK goalkeeper could be doing some extra laps in training next year given his perfromance when being interviewed at the banquet on the Sunday game.

Not sure if Cody will appreciate his sense of humour.....