Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leenie

I was watching westerns with my dad while others my age were still watching Care Bears.. they probably came with 15 certificate.. don't think it done me any harm ...

I watch all genres of films apart from horror .. I scare very easily..Is there any good not really scary horrors?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Main Street

Any good  but not really scary horrors?

I suppose that cuts out Tyrone football videos.

Puckoon

Same as yourself Leenie - used to watch the Westerns on a Tuesday (I think) night on BBC 2 with my dad when mum was at work. Cowboy supper, sausages, beans, toast.

I enjoyed the remake of the Magnificent 7. Certainly worth the watch.

manfromdelmonte

Bad Santa

always a good way to start off the xmas movie season

AZOffaly

Santa Claus the Movie is my favourite Santa Movie. Onslow's wife in Keeping up Appearances is in it as Missus Claus.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on October 24, 2016, 10:12:01 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 24, 2016, 01:14:15 AM
Still angry: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jadotville#Background

How true is this? I realise there is a bit of Hollywood involved, but how much?

If there is even 25% of the truth involved, then the way these men were treated is beyond shameful.

It's a pretty accurate account of what happened, Muppet.

Declan Power's book

Just finished the book (Audible).

Well worth getting (eBook available €3.68).

https://books.google.ie/books?id=UU-tCAAAQBAJ&pg=PT109&lpg=PT109&dq=conor+cruise+o'brien+dinner+while+commandant+donnelly+waited+jadotville&source=bl&ots=uLCiK3hLMP&sig=6FZFaUSHLIoYEixxu0FMB_WCrME&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7lbTK6PnQAhWsIMAKHa0BCmUQ6AEILjAD#v=onepage&q=conor%20cruise%20o'brien%20dinner%20while%20commandant%20donnelly%20waited%20jadotville&f=false

If you didn't like Conor Cruise O'Brien, but weren't sure why, this is the book (or movie) for you.
MWWSI 2017

BennyCake

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 07, 2016, 05:11:12 PM
Santa Claus the Movie is my favourite Santa Movie. Onslow's wife in Keeping up Appearances is in it as Missus Claus.

So she is! Never realised that. I wonder how that movie would've went had Onslow been Santy!

Syferus

Rogue One was great. Lives up to the name of the series more than any other entry.

lurganblue

Quote from: Syferus on December 17, 2016, 04:59:14 AM
Rogue One was great. Lives up to the name of the series more than any other entry.

Great movie. In fact, the last 2 films have been great additions.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: lurganblue on December 19, 2016, 03:48:13 PM

+1

Final battle scene alternating from ground to space was just proper cinema.
#newbridgeornowhere

mrdeeds

Watched David Brent movie. It's ok. Not near as good as The Office though.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 20, 2016, 08:02:25 AM

+1

Looking forward to it. Fella on Facebook yesterday thinking he was the lad as he has a hooky copy on his Android box. Only fooling himself - I'll be going to Omniplex Maxx for 20 metres of surround sound goodness.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 20, 2016, 08:02:25 AM

+1

Superb show. Love how it snugs up beside Star Wars A New Hope without complicating things.

It sits up there with the best of the franchise in my opinion.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Syferus

The more I think about it the better I think it is. I feel like they could have given Jyn and Cassian a little more characterisation but the film makes strengths out of what were ridiculous plot elements in A New Hope (that the Death Star was designed with a massive flaw) and makes the story and drive of it stronger by demonstrating the Death Star's destructive potential better than blowing up an entire planet ever could.

That was one of the best endings in the history of blockbusters and easily the best ending for a Star Wars film, and that we all know what happens next it makes that makes it an even greater achievement to be able to produce something that good.

The fact Disney were on board for that ending makes me think Star Wars as a universe is in very good hands now, the good stuff in The Force Awakens wasn't simply a lucky hit.

JPGJOHNNYG

This was the first film in a while that i wanted to see again asap. Cant understand how force awakens is rated higher than rogue one on almost every review site. This was almost flawless and right up there with episodes 4 and 5. Force awakens although enjoyable had plenty of dodgy moments plot holes and the whole its a rip off off of a new hope anyway. Rogue one kicks its a$$