‘Cocaine is in GAA every club, it’s frightening’ – Limerick legend Ciarán Carey

Started by Eire90, July 19, 2023, 06:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 27, 2023, 01:05:15 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 27, 2023, 12:28:15 PM
https://m.independent.ie/news/eircode-gang-suspected-as-man-24-abducted-and-badly-beaten-on-beach-over-debt/a1016599860.html

" Drug related intimidation is a massive and increasing countywide problem."

Don't be shocked though, have you missed the show's Love Hate or Kin? You'd be a fool to think it just happens in the big smoke!

I have first hand experience through a family member unfortunately

I know all about it

Truth hurts

he cocaine problem in the GAA is now 'in every corner of Ireland', a Clare referee has said.

Pat Byrne-O'Connell said players have turned to the drug after being told not to drink alcohol.

He told Lunchtime Live he believes the problem is in every club across the country, and that it is one of the GAA's own making

"Massive," he said. "Out of control - and it's in every club in every county in every corner of Ireland."

"Anyone that thinks it's not is totally lost and blind.

"It's out of control and it's the GAA's own fault; they've created this monster by introducing what's called the alcohol ban.

"All these coaches coming in who know little or nothing about the social life of young people banning alcohol.

"So the lads are coming to the pub, sitting at the bar counter with their 0.0 alcohol bottle perched in front of them off their face on cocaine.

"That's what they're doing because you can't be seen to be drinking in the GAA anymore".

'Either blind or stupid'
Mr Byrne-O'Connell said there is "no difference" between the problem at club and county level.

"It's the same players, you're talking [about] the same players," he said.

"They're young fellas, they're social fellas, they're out with their friends at the weekends and that's what they're doing.

"Anyone that says it's not happening is either blind or stupid, and I don't think there's many stupid people involved in the GAA.

"They've turned their back on it because it's the easy way out".

rural drug useA man divides lines of cocaine. Image: Riccardo Ceccherini / Alamy
Mr Byrne-O'Connell, who has been working in the pub industry for 20 years, said he has seen the changes.

"I have lads coming in from training and coming in from matches [saying], 'Pat give me €100 cashback'," he said.

"They go down straight to their 'friend', get their €100, hand it over, into the toilet and come up to the bar counter [for] a 0.0.

"That's what they're doing in every club in the county, and not one club can say that it's not happening because it is".

'Easier to get drugs than drink'
Mr Byrne-O'Connell said he believes the level of drug-taking is "easily" over 50% of players.

"I would say one-in-two players in every club is taking cocaine on a weekly basis.

"It's every pub, it's every house party, it's everywhere.

"If you went down and did a drug test at a GAA match every weekend, you would capture at least one fella with cocaine in his system.

"It's easier to get drugs than drink," he added.

Mr Byrne-O'Connell believes testing will not happen because it is an amateur sport.

Truth hurts

"So the lads are coming to the pub, sitting at the bar counter with their 0.0 alcohol bottle perched in front of them off their face on cocaine.

"That's what they're doing because you can't be seen to be drinking in the GAA anymore".

toby47

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 02, 2024, 11:31:47 AMThe cocaine problem in the GAA is now 'in every corner of Ireland', a Clare referee has said.

Pat Byrne-O'Connell said players have turned to the drug after being told not to drink alcohol.

He told Lunchtime Live he believes the problem is in every club across the country, and that it is one of the GAA's own making

"Massive," he said. "Out of control - and it's in every club in every county in every corner of Ireland."

"It's out of control and it's the GAA's own fault; they've created this monster by introducing what's called the alcohol ban.

"All these coaches coming in who know little or nothing about the social life of young people banning alcohol.

'Either blind or stupid'
Mr Byrne-O'Connell said there is "no difference" between the problem at club and county level.

"They're young fellas, they're social fellas, they're out with their friends at the weekends and that's what they're doing.

"Anyone that says it's not happening is either blind or stupid, and I don't think there's many stupid people involved in the GAA.

rural drug useA man divides lines of cocaine. Image: Riccardo Ceccherini / Alamy
Mr Byrne-O'Connell, who has been working in the pub industry for 20 years, said he has seen the changes.

"I have lads coming in from training and coming in from matches [saying], 'Pat give me €100 cashback'," he said.

"They go down straight to their 'friend', get their €100, hand it over, into the toilet and come up to the bar counter [for] a 0.0.

"That's what they're doing in every club in the county, and not one club can say that it's not happening because it is".

Mr Byrne-O'Connell said he believes the level of drug-taking is "easily" over 50% of players.

"I would say one-in-two players in every club is taking cocaine on a weekly basis.

"If you went down and did a drug test at a GAA match every weekend, you would capture at least one fella with cocaine in his system.

Mr Byrne-O'Connell believes testing will not happen because it is an amateur sport.

So is it one in two, or one in thirty taking cocaine? Make your mind up Pat ye silly f*cker.

I know cocaine is a problem in Ireland at the moment, but there is some shite spouted above. Yes cocaine is in every town & village in Ireland at the moment. But to say the GAA created the problem is hilarious. And fella's sitting at the bar drinking 0.0% but full of coke, my lord.

Armagh18

Quote from: toby47 on February 02, 2024, 11:50:21 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on February 02, 2024, 11:31:47 AMThe cocaine problem in the GAA is now 'in every corner of Ireland', a Clare referee has said.

'Either blind or stupid'

So is it one in two, or one in thirty taking cocaine? Make your mind up Pat ye silly f*cker.

I know cocaine is a problem in Ireland at the moment, but there is some shite spouted above. Yes cocaine is in every town & village in Ireland at the moment. But to say the GAA created the problem is hilarious. And fella's sitting at the bar drinking 0.0% but full of coke, my lord.

That happens.

toby47

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 02, 2024, 11:51:27 AM

'Either blind or stupid'

That happens.

In every bar/club in Ireland? I know these things are happening but is it really as common as that?

I was in a popular bar in Belfast in December, there were about 8 urinals and only about half them being used, and I would say 20 (probably more) fella's in a que for 2 cubicles. I know it's a big problem at the minute, and loads that play GAA will do it, but so will loads that play Soccer on a Saturday, loads that are on a building site on a Monday, loads of students.....I don't see why it's being linked to the GAA.

Armagh18

Quote from: toby47 on February 02, 2024, 11:58:17 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on February 02, 2024, 11:51:27 AM

'Either blind or stupid'

That happens.

In every bar/club in Ireland? I know these things are happening but is it really as common as that?

I was in a popular bar in Belfast in December, there were about 8 urinals and only about half them being used, and I would say 20 (probably more) fella's in a que for 2 cubicles. I know it's a big problem at the minute, and loads that play GAA will do it, but so will loads that play Soccer on a Saturday, loads that are on a building site on a Monday, loads of students.....I don't see why it's being linked to the GAA.
Don't know how common the 0.0 and coke combo is but I've seen it happen.

I know far too many young people (men and women) that can't even go for a pint or two without having to get a bag. Both GAA and non- GAA players, as you say it's a massive issue in wider society as well as the GAA.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ethan Tremblay

Not sure about 1 in 2, but certainly 1 in 4 players within my club would be recreational users, i'm sure others have dabbled in it infrequently also.

Not sure why this is a seen as a gaa specific problem either or how a drinks ban influences a person moving on to cocaine as a substitute ffs. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

trueblue1234

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on February 02, 2024, 01:21:45 PMNot sure about 1 in 2, but certainly 1 in 4 players within my club would be recreational users, i'm sure others have dabbled in it infrequently also.

Not sure why this is a seen as a gaa specific problem either or how a drinks ban influences a person moving on to cocaine as a substitute ffs. 
I agree, the article leaned towards the "aghhh let them have their pints and they'd stay away from the drugs". Is he in the drinks trade by any chance?
Seems to forget there was and still is many footballers who have drink issues as well.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 02, 2024, 01:18:05 PMWouldn't mind their money if they can afford to have a 'bag' and pinting

Absolutely.

Work colleague, very sociable lad, heads out every Sat and Sunday (Sunday is daytime supping). Be on a decent enough wage, cries poverty all the time and the fact that he can't get a deposit together to buy his own place. We worked it out that he's blowing in or around a 1000 quid a month supping, snorting and football bets. Eye watering amounts of cash

Eire90

Eire90

toby47

Quote from: Eire90 on February 02, 2024, 03:02:47 PMi never understood the fascination  with Sunday drinking

Hair of the dog, good sport on, bars not as busy...There are a few positives to it to be fair.

Franko

Quote from: Eire90 on February 02, 2024, 03:02:47 PMi never understood the fascination  with sunday drinking

I can imagine most of the Sunday pint men in your local were happy enough with this  ;D