Hiking

Started by charlieTully, March 25, 2021, 10:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

A thread for hike recommendations, for post covid times of course. Last one I did was in the mournes. Started round seefin, long seefin, mourne wall to the foot of rocky, then up chimney rock and across the ridge to Spences mountain. Amazing views from the top of chimney. The rain and wind kicked in hard on the descent from Spences adding a mile onto the trek. Would be interested in wicklow when things settle. Any recommendations?

Milltown Row2

Looking to do the seven peaks in September, was up Slieve Binnian last week with the dogs, left the house around 6.30 and home for lunch great dander, would hit the Mournes 3/4 times a year but would love to do more..

Mount Errigal  and its other peak are great walks too, Mount muckish is great with great views, but Ards Forrest park near Dunfanaghy best hikes about
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Slieve Foye above Carlingford Lough is a beauty

Spectacular views from the top, rivals Croagh Patrick for the view

charlieTully

Quote from: sid waddell on March 25, 2021, 11:36:30 PM
Slieve Foye above Carlingford Lough is a beauty

Spectacular views from the top, rivals Croagh Patrick for the view

Cooley mountains? Never done any there

lurganblue

I'll get doing a bit more of this after Easter myself. Usually do a few trips up the Mournes every year.  A couple of years in a row we went mad and did the whole mourne wall walk. I don't think i'd be up for that again though as it puts some strain on the feet and knees.

I'd like to branch out a it this year.  I like the sound of Slieve Foye there.  Cheers Sid.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on March 26, 2021, 09:06:29 AM
I'll get doing a bit more of this after Easter myself. Usually do a few trips up the Mournes every year.  A couple of years in a row we went mad and did the whole mourne wall walk. I don't think i'd be up for that again though as it puts some strain on the feet and knees.

I'd like to branch out a it this year.  I like the sound of Slieve Foye there.  Cheers Sid.

That's my problem at the minute, only back doing stuff after having a knee 'problem' working the best and after the walk in the mournes last week no real pains, but the Mourne wall walk is a different type of challenge on the body..

Best foot wear lads? Any good shoes which are good but not too heavy?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Did the Mourne wall back a right few years ago although split in 2, camped out overnight halfway. Was Feb time and think it was -10. Great walk not sure if I could do it again as the oul knees and feet aren't what they used to be. Any of those mentioned Errigal, Cooleys all great walks.
Another one ive done a couple of times in recent years is the coast walk from Giants causeway to Ballintoy. About 11 miles and reasonably flat. The scenery was breathtaking. Make sure to time low tide at whitepark bay though. Finish in the Ropebridge bar for a few pints. Pints remember them!?
Milltown look at Solomon range..abit pricey but exactly what your looking for.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 26, 2021, 09:26:15 AM
Did the Mourne wall back a right few years ago although split in 2, camped out overnight halfway. Was Feb time and think it was -10. Great walk not sure if I could do it again as the oul knees and feet aren't what they used to be. Any of those mentioned Errigal, Cooleys all great walks.
Another one ive done a couple of times in recent years is the coast walk from Giants causeway to Ballintoy. About 11 miles and reasonably flat. The scenery was breathtaking. Make sure to time low tide at whitepark bay though. Finish in the Ropebridge bar for a few pints. Pints remember them!?

They look the ticket, will get them at the end of the month lol! Be interested in Cooley myself, not that far away in fairness. During the first lockdown I was doing 16km a day locally, nothing beats a good walk with the dogs, god love them!

lurganblue

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 26, 2021, 09:50:34 AM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 26, 2021, 09:26:15 AM

They look the ticket, will get them at the end of the month lol! Be interested in Cooley myself, not that far away in fairness. During the first lockdown I was doing 16km a day locally, nothing beats a good walk with the dogs, god love them!

In-laws are big into the walking and they swear by the solomons too.

Milltown Row2

Did three peaks this morning from Meelmore lodge. The Mournes were stunning at sunrise.

Place was bunged with hill/mountain walkers.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 17, 2021, 01:32:10 PM
Did three peaks this morning from Meelmore lodge. The Mournes were stunning at sunrise.

Somebody found dead near Donard.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 17, 2021, 07:18:36 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 17, 2021, 01:32:10 PM

Somebody found dead near Donard.

Seriously? That's bad craic, on the way down there was plenty heading up completely ill prepared, but as I mentioned below, you can be the best prepared, but it's a flipping mountain with difficult descents.

Was speaking to a couple of lads looking and training to do 30 peaks, 56 miles I think they said, doing it in memory of an experienced fell runner who died in the Mournes after suffering a heart attack, in the Mournes!

grounded

https://m.facebook.com/MourneMRT/

Details of incident. Plenty to keep the mountain rescue busy. Thank goodness for them.

They have advised the any hikers/walkers to download the what3words app.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49319760.amp