Started by tonto1888, December 14, 2020, 07:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 18, 2021, 11:25:54 AM
Quote from: Main Street on May 18, 2021, 11:00:10 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 18, 2021, 10:39:46 AM
Quote from: Louther on May 18, 2021, 09:52:24 AM
Me bad.

When the talk of the rules changes was happening I had assumed it was only for hurling for this drag down inside 21m and resulting penalty.

From talk on radio yesterday lot seemed to think same as it was a compromise from a hurling ref to the introduction of the black card to that game.

One thing that always bugs me is that over last week, particularly in hurling, the main talk has been around the rule changes and "no one asked us" narrative. I can't say I like some of the rule changes and more so the constant changes every year but I don't recall a vocal dissenting voice from many managers who have a profile and the media would have loved to hear form prior to the introduction of these changes. That's the time to make feelings known.

Back on track that one of Armagh V Monaghan was a prime example of the new rule not been used.

From what I've read the ref didn't think it was deliberate and that it was just outside the 21
The ref was spectacularly wrong on both counts. Have a look on TG4 player, from 29 min onward.

It was a definite black. No argument there from me. Will watch again. At the time I admit I wasn't paying a lot of attention to exactly where it happened as I was unaware of this new rule
Looking at it again, it was a 100% deliberate drag down but some location doubt,  first contact happened when Monaghan player Jones' standing foot was on the 20m line and the drag down effected when both feet were just inside the 20m line.  A definite black card but I'm not sure of what defines a foul being committed  inside the 20m area.

Armagh18

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 17, 2021, 09:28:04 PM
the media lads are already blowing up Kerry v Dublin as a rehearsal for later in the year
you'd imagine it will be.

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 18, 2021, 10:39:00 AM
Quote from: Louther on May 18, 2021, 09:52:24 AM
Me bad.

When the talk of the rules changes was happening I had assumed it was only for hurling for this drag down inside 21m and resulting penalty.

From talk on radio yesterday lot seemed to think same as it was a compromise from a hurling ref to the introduction of the black card to that game.

One thing that always bugs me is that over last week, particularly in hurling, the main talk has been around the rule changes and "no one asked us" narrative. I can't say I like some of the rule changes and more so the constant changes every year but I don't recall a vocal dissenting voice from many managers who have a profile and the media would have loved to hear form prior to the introduction of these changes. That's the time to make feelings known.

Back on track that one of Armagh V Monaghan was a prime example of the new rule not been used.

I get the black card rule for hurling, I've no real issues with it, player running in on goal inside the box penalty, a black card should he be pulled down on purpose and not in a last ditch honest tackle on the ball/player, my only concern is when a player is inside the 21, out on the wing and brought down, outside the rectangle and players coaches all screaming for penalties and black cards!

so many variables to take in before all those claims
The interpretation of an honest last ditch tackle and a deliberate foul to stop a goal will vary greatly you'd imagine.

Captain Obvious

Should have more of idea after this weekend matches which teams will have a semi final to look forward too or a relegation play off to worry about.

Saturday
Donegal v Monaghan 5pm
Armagh v Tyrone, 7pm

Sunday

Kerry v Dublin, 1:45pm
Galway v Roscommon, 2pm

greatpoint

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 19, 2021, 11:58:15 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 17, 2021, 09:28:04 PM
the media lads are already blowing up Kerry v Dublin as a rehearsal for later in the year
you'd imagine it will be.

It didn't happen in 2017, 2018, nor 2020 but the media will hype it up every year regardless.

Taylor

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 19, 2021, 04:33:14 PM
Should have more of idea after this weekend matches which teams will have a semi final to look forward too or a relegation play off to worry about.

Saturday
Donegal v Monaghan 5pm
Armagh v Tyrone, 7pm

Sunday

Kerry v Dublin, 1:45pm
Galway v Roscommon, 2pm

Tyrone game is on Eirsport - any idea where the other games are on?

Rossfan

Donegal
Armagh
Roscommon
Kerry

Ros v Galway on GAAGO
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Taylor on May 19, 2021, 04:50:33 PM

Donegal v Monaghan on RTÉ
Kerry v Dublin on TG4
Galway v Roscommon on GAAGO

Taylor

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 19, 2021, 04:54:10 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 19, 2021, 04:50:33 PM

Donegal v Monaghan on RTÉ
Kerry v Dublin on TG4
Galway v Roscommon on GAAGO

Cheers.

balladmaker

I don't sense much enthusiasm for this weekend's games when there should be ... unless I'm reading the wrong thread :-) .... Kerry/Dublin ... Armagh/Tyrone ... Galway/Roscommon ... Donegal/Monaghan ... with such a condensed league, win or lose 2 games and your league is pretty much decided.

Looking forward to seeing how Armagh show up against Tyrone.

Rossfan

Maybe the fact we can't go to the games is dimming enthusiasm?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

balladmaker

Of course non-attendance at games is a major factor.  I remember a time when any Armagh v Tyrone game would have had a thread 50 pages long :-)

lurganblue

Yeah looking forward to seeing how Armagh stack up against Tyrone.  I for one feel that we are still a bit off the level of Tyrone and more so Donegal.  Although Armagh played pretty well last week, I am still not convinced that the defence is up to the task.  However, Sat night will definitely tell a tale in that regard.

The Monaghan win was massive in terms of staying in division one.  I would be surprised if Monaghan beat either Tyrone or Donegal (baring a bit of cute hoorism).

Taylor

I feel we have too much for Armagh if (and its a big IF) we play to our attacking capabilities.

If we play a defensive game then it will go right to the wire.

The Armagh defence have shown they are the same they have been for a few years and cannot tackle - surely someone within their camp could address this?

I was very disappointed in Monaghan last week - McManus & the two Hughes looked way off the pace - they will definitely be relegated.

Hopefully the team that starts will have Canavan & Bradley there which will set out our intentions from the start.

lurganblue

Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2021, 10:31:54 AM
I feel we have too much for Armagh if (and its a big IF) we play to our attacking capabilities.

If we play a defensive game then it will go right to the wire.

The Armagh defence have shown they are the same they have been for a few years and cannot tackle - surely someone within their camp could address this?

I was very disappointed in Monaghan last week - McManus & the two Hughes looked way off the pace - they will definitely be relegated.

Hopefully the team that starts will have Canavan & Bradley there which will set out our intentions from the start.

I have to assume there is rarely a free given at their training sessions