Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 09, 2021, 07:46:44 PM
Guardiola is a fraud. A chequebook manager that only manages rich clubs or the top team in their respective country. Hasn't proven himself like Klopp has bringing titles to Dortmund and Liverpool and getting Mainz promoted. You cannot compare Guardiola to Klopp.

Wonder how much did Iniesta, Xavi and Messi cost between them?

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: mouview on February 09, 2021, 08:05:30 PM
Guardiola is a fraud. A chequebook manager that only manages rich clubs or the top team in their respective country. Hasn't proven himself like Klopp has bringing titles to Dortmund and Liverpool and getting Mainz promoted. You cannot compare Guardiola to Klopp.

Zero. They came through the academy. You already know that.
Not sure how that is relevant though.
Guardiola has specifically cited they were the reason they won so many trophies, they were already the top team in Spain.

pbat

Klopp's not even the best manager in Liverpool.

Milltown Row2

Rodgers in fairness to him has his Leicester in a better position than Liverpool and they are difficult to beat.

Rodgers lost some limelight when he played away from home  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Guardiola is a fraud.
He's not a patch on Frank Lampard or Stephen Kenny

maldini

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 09, 2021, 08:14:46 PM

Guardiola has specifically cited they were the reason they won so many trophies, they were already the top team in Spain.

Barca had gone two years without a trophy before Pep "the fraud" turned them into what many call the best club team of all time (without spending massive amounts)

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: maldini on February 09, 2021, 10:51:17 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 09, 2021, 08:14:46 PM

Barca had gone two years without a trophy before Pep "the fraud" turned them into what many call the best club team of all time (without spending massive amounts)
The two seasons didn't go well for them because Rijkaard was finished at that stage. Having said that they were still a top side, 2007 they missed out on the title on points difference the year after winning CL and then rijkaard made a mess of it in 2008.
Guardiola then came in and signed players like Dani Alves, Pique, Ibrahimovic, David Villa and Mascherano, all within a few seasons. All big signings for an already top side. Proves my point. Chequebook manager who only manages top/rich clubs.

GetOverTheBar

Pep is a fraud?

Goodness me. A new low for this thread.

Like him or not, you must respect what he's done for the game and how he done it. Yes he can be somewhat unlikeable...but fraud? No.

Yes he inherited some players, but they are not the players we know now. Then. He bombed out Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Ibrahimovic and created a dynasty.

Taylor

He is far from a fraud.

Just look at Sterling & KDB and how they he has improved working under Pep.

sid waddell

Michael Schumacher was a fraud

He wouldn't have won seven world championships had he been driving a Ford Fiesta

BennyCake

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 10, 2021, 10:00:50 AM
Pep is a fraud?

Like him or not, you must respect what he's done for the game and how he done it. Yes he can be somewhat unlikeable...but fraud? No.

Yes he inherited some players, but they are not the players we know now. Then. He bombed out Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Ibrahimovic and created a dynasty.

It's funny how people say Pep is a genius because of that Barcelona side, yet nobody mentions Del Bosque, who won the World Cup and two Euros with practically the same team, and over a longer period of time.

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on February 10, 2021, 10:21:46 AM
Pep is a fraud?

It's funny how people say Pep is a genius because of that Barcelona side, yet nobody mentions Del Bosque, who won the World Cup and two Euros with practically the same team, and over a longer period of time.
Del Bosque is widely considered to be a superb manager

What he was not was somebody at the cutting edge of systemic football thought - Pep and Klopp are, as is Bielsa

Del Bosque was perfect for Real Madrid in that he was extremely good at managing massive egos - which the Real Madrid dressing room is always full of - and turning them into a happy team

He did something similar with Spain using a watered down version of the Barcelona system, built around Barcelona players

As a man manager he was one of the very best

It's not a coincidence that the most successful Real Madrid managers of the modern era - Del Bosque, Ancelotti and Zidane, have all been more focussed on the man management side than the tactical side, their main strengths are who they were and are

All carried quiet authority but were chilled out and players liked them, whereas the Madrid players hated Mourinho and Benitez who were systemic football thinkers

Zidane for instance is no superb, cutting edge tactician and coach like Pep or Klopp, but like Del Bosque he has what it takes to salve massive egos and create a happy atmosphere within a team, which is extremely important at Real Madrid given it's probably the most pressurised environment to play in in the world

Mike Tyson

Pep is a fraud?

Or Luis Enrique for his 2015 all conquering Barca team.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: sid waddell on February 10, 2021, 10:42:07 AM
Pep is a fraud?

Del Bosque is widely considered to be a superb manager

What he was not was somebody at the cutting edge of systemic football thought - Pep and Klopp are, as is Bielsa

Del Bosque was perfect for Real Madrid in that he was extremely good at managing massive egos - which the Real Madrid dressing room is always full of - and turning them into a happy team

He did something similar with Spain using a watered down version of the Barcelona system, built around Barcelona players

As a man manager he was one of the very best

It's not a coincidence that the most successful Real Madrid managers of the modern era - Del Bosque, Ancelotti and Zidane, have all been more focussed on the man management side than the tactical side, their main strengths are who they were and are

All carried quiet authority but were chilled out and players liked them, whereas the Madrid players hated Mourinho and Benitez who were systemic football thinkers

Zidane for instance is no superb, cutting edge tactician and coach like Pep or Klopp, but like Del Bosque he has what it takes to salve massive egos and create a happy atmosphere within a team, which is extremely important at Real Madrid given it's probably the most pressurised environment to play in in the world

Exactly, there is a lot made of management - sometimes you just have to throw the arm round them and give them the reason to fight.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, I admire Klopp for what he did with Liverpool, I admire Pep for what he did at City and Barca. I've admired Mourinho for years, despite some of his antics. Great managers. I won't go mad arguing over who is better, I have my opinion but I'm willing to hear others views at the same time but what I will argue is that people who just throw out "Pep is a fraud", so lazy and just something you would read on twitter for a few likes or retweets.

The man (re)created a new philosophy on how to play the game. You don't have to like it, but you must respect it.

imtommygunn

I agree with all that post except the Mourinho bit. I find him an appalling individual.