Quote from: From the Bunker on January 26, 2021, 12:16:12 AM
Quote from: reillycavan on January 25, 2021, 09:21:43 PM
Quote from: Mayo Border on January 21, 2021, 02:21:43 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on January 21, 2021, 09:49:10 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 21, 2021, 09:47:25 AM
MD McAuley joining the retired ranks.

1 word - Warrior
Glad you didn't use the word- Footballer

If Aidan O'Shea had his work rate Mayo won have 2/3 All Irelands the last decade.

Yeah Aido not putting more of a shift really made the difference.

My point is you don't win with 15 footballers.  Lads bring other attributes to the table

Angelo

Quote from: rosnarun on January 26, 2021, 10:24:55 AM
Quote from: Itchy on January 26, 2021, 09:00:07 AM

1 word - Warrior

If Aidan O'Shea had his work rate Mayo won have 2/3 All Irelands the last decade.

I am not sure about whether Aidan O Shea could be said to not have the work rate but the athleticism is probably why he came up short when he met McCauley in Croke Park. The sight of McCauley running him around the pitch was something to behold.

Are yes mad MDMa was nowhere near the footballer  and I have never seen Aidan Want for Athleticism  or Effort or football ability.
he is why mayo got where they are to suggest hes a liability in anyway is silly.
Ive always said he is the one truly irreplaceable player mayo Have

O'Shea gets caught out badly in the athelticism stakes in big games. I think successive Mayo management teams have been very confused how to best utilise him and O'Shea has very, very limited footballing ability.

He is a battering ram of  a footballer who will draw frees and be a handful for teams but he hasn't developed one bit on the football side of the game since he broke through as a minor. He still routinely does idiotic things on the football pitch. Wasn't it Kieran Shannon who criticised him for refusing to work on his right foot when he was involved with Mayo?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

reillycavan

Quote from: Angelo on January 26, 2021, 11:24:21 AM

1 word - Warrior

I am not sure about whether Aidan O Shea could be said to not have the work rate but the athleticism is probably why he came up short when he met McCauley in Croke Park. The sight of McCauley running him around the pitch was something to behold.

Are yes mad MDMa was nowhere near the footballer  and I have never seen Aidan Want for Athleticism  or Effort or football ability.
he is why mayo got where they are to suggest hes a liability in anyway is silly.

O'Shea gets caught out badly in the athelticism stakes in big games. I think successive Mayo management teams have been very confused how to best utilise him and O'Shea has very, very limited footballing ability.

He is a battering ram of  a footballer who will draw frees and be a handful for teams but he hasn't developed one bit on the football side of the game since he broke through as a minor. He still routinely does idiotic things on the football pitch. Wasn't it Kieran Shannon who criticised him for refusing to work on his right foot when he was involved with Mayo?

Have to agree with this. When you look back to 08 minor against ye O'Shea got MOTM the first day? I think he kicked 3 points too. He was a threat from play and able to kick frees.   Now he barely  scores. If the right ball is kicked into keep him at 14. He takes too much out of ball out the park.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on January 28, 2021, 06:41:51 PM
Gary Brennan, Clare.

Great player huge loss to Clare who have punched above their weight in recent years

FermGael

Quote from: Rossfan on January 28, 2021, 06:41:51 PM
Gary Brennan, Clare.

Great player. 
Remember a few years ago he came on  in Brewster park after  having played in an All Ireland club hurling semi final or final the day before
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

From the Bunker

"I got a text today from one of the Dublin guys.  It's stuff like that that kicks home the whole thing of, as much as want to try & beat these guys, there is that mutual respect there -they're going through the same thing year in, year out.'' - Keith Higgins

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0128/1193728-keith-higgins-i-feel-lucky-to-have-had-so-long-at-it/?fbclid=IwAR0gU3HRyF84lXUyVD1aJ9Nd3VatM2gYYoYkqT23Xvu3I0-7CPGnbYSbslQ

From 2011 on Dublin players were not going through the same thing year in, year out (as Mayo players). Mentally you have to think Dublin players were in a better place. You'd imagine all those semi-final and final loses took their tole!

Itchy

1 word - Warrior

I never said he wasn't a good footballer or that he didn't try but you'd have to be blind if you think in the big games his lack of athletic ability hasn't cost mayo. Its why he's been moved out of the middle often.

Rossfan

Tomás Clancy Cork due to injury problems.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Sligo footballer Neil Ewing after 13 years of inter-county service.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

SCFC

James Loughrey, Cork (via Antrim) is retired too.

Blowitupref

Ciarán Sheehan Cork.

An All-Ireland winner with the Rebels in 2010, the 30-year-old has been plagued by knee cartilage injuries and has been advised by medics to step back from top-level football.

"My knee has got to the point where competing at inter-county level intensity is no longer an option as the long-term health of the knee is at high risk if I continue to play at that level,"
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 20, 2021, 02:49:32 PM
Ciarán Sheehan Cork.

An All-Ireland winner with the Rebels in 2010, the 30-year-old has been plagued by knee cartilage injuries and has been advised by medics to step back from top-level football.

"My knee has got to the point where competing at inter-county level intensity is no longer an option as the long-term health of the knee is at high risk if I continue to play at that level,"

Did he any injury issues before he went to Australia? It appears to be a regular occurrence when they come back, Cillian McDaid another one who can't stay fit.

Some talent by the way.

From the Bunker

Cian O'Sullivan retires as 'body simply can't' go on

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0627/1231654-cian-osullivan-retires-as-body-simply-cant-go-on/

How will Dublin cope with such a loss?

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.