Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keep her low this half

If money is tight at present is there not the possibility to build 2 or 3 sides, (I know its meant to be a bowl) and finish off the project as and when the GAA can raise the required money to complete the project. So in Three years time we have an 18,000 seater stadium, in 5 years 25,000 and in 10 years 34,000. It gets the project moving, ties down the planning permission and gets games being played there. 18,000 covers all Antrim and Ulster club championship games as well as all Antrim national league matches and first round championship games. As capacity rises the ulster semi finals and finals can be moved there.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: rrhf on February 26, 2021, 11:25:31 AM
You would wonder will it ever be built in this era.. When you look at what the IFA built and Ulster Rugby built on lesser grants, but with less strategic opposition.  The implications of the delays will continue to be felt most by Antrim Gaels every year until this opens.  If the project cannot start soon, the Antrim county board should be returned the deeds of their asset for sale or development, so they can push on with their own plans. Croke Park / Ulster GAA then need to help Antrim here to get back on their feet.  Is the Maze still available as a greenfield site? A very sorry saga...
What strategic opposition?

Kickham csc

From a plan point of view, it's clear that Ulster GAA were looking at the stadium to be a revenue generator in regards to conferences etc. Also when Ireland finally get to host a world cup rugby finals, Ireland need 8 stadiums, and Casement would help fit the bill in the north. I thing the GAA is thinking bigger picture rather than just an Antrim home, and to be honest, with the success of Croke Park they (GAA) usually make good decisions on these matters

I am torn about it. I've played championship games in Casement where the stand was full but the embankment was empty and the atmosphere was good but not great. I've played championship games in Cargin and Moneyglass where the crowds were less and the atmosphere was great.

So from an Antrim point of view, do we need a 34k stadium???

The really smart solution would have been for Antrim to upgrade Corrigan, Cargin and possibly Ballycastle to 10-15k stadiums and let Ulster manage Casement, then they could have the best of both worlds. Play NFL and NHL matches in the regional grounds. Play championship games in the regional grounds and Ulster Championship and County finals in the new casement.

I'd love Antrim to be able to run off a finals type day that they did in NY, where there could be anything up to 5 finals on the one day. Great atmosphere and some craic

armaghniac

The really good thing for Antrim would be to more people going to their games.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

From an Antrim POV kickhasmcsc we have absolutely no need for a 34k stadium. I could count on one hand the number of times I have been in a full casement and they mostly were neutral Ulster championship matches . A 20 odd k stadium would.

County finals etc by all means put them there but maybe rotate. I would have been to more hurling games out of casement than football but to be honest I find the atmosphere great, and probably much better, at the games in north Antrim. I actually really like Dunloy for the county finals.

From the Bunker

Quote from: hardstation on February 26, 2021, 09:56:57 PM
Quote from: Kickham csc on February 26, 2021, 05:28:25 PM
From a plan point of view, it's clear that Ulster GAA were looking at the stadium to be a revenue generator in regards to conferences etc. Also when Ireland finally get to host a world cup rugby finals, Ireland need 8 stadiums, and Casement would help fit the bill in the north. I thing the GAA is thinking bigger picture rather than just an Antrim home, and to be honest, with the success of Croke Park they (GAA) usually make good decisions on these matters

It's funny you should say that as I have been thinking the opposite and that the GAA need to get a grip on things in this dept. Croke Park was a success but has the GAA been dining out on it since/got the name as an early riser?

How have their major stadium redevelopments fared since? Casement & Páirc Uí Chaoimh have been a shitshow. The Athletic Grounds redevelopment was a shambles* too for long enough.

I definitely think it's an area that the GAA should be seeking to improve.

*Not an Armagh City pun btw.

Croke Park is one of the reasons that the Inter-county (football) game is a shambles. Croke Park has become all about selling Dublin and little else outside of that matters. John Horan being President has done little but sell that more the last 3 years. Then again why would a proud Dub do otherwise?

Corporate Boxes, Newspapers, Advertisers, Sponsors, TV rights, it's all about keeping the Capital happy or more so not saying anything to upset them.  The GAA needs a strong Dublin - and it has a strong Dublin and a fine stadium to accommodate that bias.

rrhf

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 26, 2021, 04:18:37 PM
Quote from: rrhf on February 26, 2021, 11:25:31 AM
You would wonder will it ever be built in this era.. When you look at what the IFA built and Ulster Rugby built on lesser grants, but with less strategic opposition.  The implications of the delays will continue to be felt most by Antrim Gaels every year until this opens.  If the project cannot start soon, the Antrim county board should be returned the deeds of their asset for sale or development, so they can push on with their own plans. Croke Park / Ulster GAA then need to help Antrim here to get back on their feet.  Is the Maze still available as a greenfield site? A very sorry saga...
What strategic opposition?
no need to ask me surely you know or suspect the rainbow coalition that got the park stopped. Some were principled, some were Patsies, some were politicians, some just pulled the strings. It was never going to be built in NI..

trailer

At this moment you could hold Antrim games in a phone box for all that turn up. So this stadium isn't really about Antrim. Once they get their house in order the fans will return. This is a county board who couldn't get 24 jerseys together that were all the same. So Antrim county board critiquing anyone is a bit rich. Get your stuff sorted and then you'll have teams that people want to watch. It's a disgrace that they don't have a half decent football team based on population alone.

pbat

I think Antrim should appoint a contractor if only for strip out. If machines are moving and looks like progress the momentum may gather a bit more pace. 

tiempo

The inability to deliver this project and a meaningful reboot in Gaelic games in Antrim post The Agreement while "make Dublin great again" blows up in everyone's face is a stain on the GAA. I appreciate Croke might not be directly responsible but the fact both have been allowed to meander to this point reflects badly on a generation of CP top brass.

Sad to say I can't see much changing on either any time soon, Saff Gaels have been shafted and deserve a lot better.

bannside

Quick history lesson. Football only. Pre troubles, Hogan Cup winners 69 Runners Up (with different school) in 70.

all Ireland U 21 football champions 69.

Andy McCallin won an All Star in 71. Was on record recently saying he played on good Railway Cup teams back then (when it was a massive competition played in front of a full house at Croke Pk) alongside 5 Antrim starters in the winning Ulster team

Ulster senior football finalists 68 and 70, ask the great Down players of that era did they respect Antrim. They will tell you Antrim were up there with the best.

Did the troubles hit Antrim harder than the rest. I'd argue undisputably yes

Time for reboot.

JPGJOHNNYG

So the capacity will need to be increased from the proposed 34500 to over 40000 for this FIFA world cup bid then ;)

trailer

Quote from: bannside on February 27, 2021, 05:46:23 PM
Quick history lesson. Football only. Pre troubles, Hogan Cup winners 69 Runners Up (with different school) in 70.

all Ireland U 21 football champions 69.

Andy McCallin won an All Star in 71. Was on record recently saying he played on good Railway Cup teams back then (when it was a massive competition played in front of a full house at Croke Pk) alongside 5 Antrim starters in the winning Ulster team

Ulster senior football finalists 68 and 70, ask the great Down players of that era did they respect Antrim. They will tell you Antrim were up there with the best.

Did the troubles hit Antrim harder than the rest. I'd argue undisputably yes

Time for reboot.

Forgot about the troubles and them being completely localised to Antrim. What is Antrim's excuse for the last 20 years?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 02, 2021, 02:10:16 PM
So the capacity will need to be increased from the proposed 34500 to over 40000 for this FIFA world cup bid then ;)

I was thinking that. Great opportunity to get something built for this bid as Windsor falls well below the 40k minimum capacity. But it would have to be in Belfast

delgany

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 02, 2021, 03:06:22 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 02, 2021, 02:10:16 PM

I was thinking that. Great opportunity to get something built for this bid as Windsor falls well below the 40k minimum capacity. But it would have to be in Belfast

That's the £35m shortfall taken care off , then