Top Ten Grounds In Ireland

Started by joebloggs, February 08, 2007, 04:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joebloggs

What would be the top ten grounds in Ireland for gaelic. What would be the capacity of each and its location, and pictures of each wud be nice too.

Uladh

Casement... the semple of the north

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

lynchbhoy

Athletic grounds Armagh
Armagh harps ground (it must be surely)

Gabriel_Hurl

In terms of attendance

Croke Park
Semple Stadium
Gaelic Grounds
Pairc Ui Chaoimh
Fitzgerald Stadium
McHale Park
Pearse Stadium
St Tiernach's Park
Casement Park
Hyde Park

lurganblue

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 08, 2007, 04:48:01 PM
Athletic grounds Armagh
Armagh harps ground (it must be surely)

no, but close (pearse ogs)
its a shite hole anyway!

youbetterbelieveit

limerick's gaelic grounds is the third biggest stadium, and it gets used about hafl a dozen time, talk about a white elephant!

paddypastit

White elephant you say - a herd of same I'd say

Take the 10 grounds listed by GH. Aside from Croke Pk how many intercounty games, including regular NL games, were played on all collectively in '06.

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

ONeill

Casement is getting more games all the time. It hosted the McKenna semi and final last year, a couple of Ulster Championship games, as well as Antrim's football and hurling games. It got a right few college games in both codes.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Real Laoislad

O'Moore Park in Portlaoise has held some big games over the years and since the new Stand is gone in it's a very nice stadium
Holds in region of 25-30 thousand i think and now with the newly installed floodlights it's coming into the 21st century
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tony Montana

As regards actual playing surface, Casement is the best surface you will ever set foot on.......

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on February 08, 2007, 08:10:44 PM
Casement is getting more games all the time. It hosted the McKenna semi and final last year, a couple of Ulster Championship games, as well as Antrim's football and hurling games. It got a right few college games in both codes.
Same can be said for Healy Park. It was getting so popular even the Tyrone team were having difficulties getting in recently. I think the lights mean there are more options to play.

Redgreenery

McHale Park in Castlebar is a good venue to watch a game, but it hasnt the most comfortable seats as they are made out of concrete and can be quite cold, except for in the stand the seats are wooden and the stand is fairly decent. Overall though I think it is a good enough pitch, but not the best ;).

muppet

In the summer McHale park can have a wonderful surface after a dry spell, however this is Ireland and we are talking about the west, so that doesn't happen too often.

The ground seems to hold water rather that let it run off so it can be quite boggy after persistant rain.
MWWSI 2017