TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Boycey on March 25, 2021, 01:49:00 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 24, 2021, 11:21:06 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 24, 2021, 11:03:28 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 24, 2021, 10:52:28 PM
Watched the first episode of The Flight Attendant. Seems promising.

Halfway through... it's intense and slick and funny in parts I'm enjoying it though and the wife as well so that's always a bonus!!
It's actually better than promising, it is very good and Kaley Cuoco is fantastic in it. I was ready for episode 2 but Mrs. Baloney took herself to bed and I was told not to watch it!

This why myself and the other half rarely watch stuff together. I can run through 3 or 4 episodes at the drop of a hat while one episode does her..... In fact if it was a lazy night in front of TV she'd watch single episodes of multiple different series back to back driving me insane  :o My poor wee brain can't compute more than one cliffhanger at a time.

Probably should have posted this on the what grinds your gears thread....

I have lost momentum with so many shows because of this. We ended up having maybe one show at a time that we are watching together, then a whole load of shows that fall into her only or me only categories!
Hasta la victoria siempre

Main Street

Halfway through... it's intense and slick and funny in parts I'm enjoying it though and the wife as well so that's always a bonus!!
It's actually better than promising, it is very good and Kaley Cuoco is fantastic in it. I was ready for episode 2 but Mrs. Baloney took herself to bed and I was told not to watch it!

WWS?

(wife wants sex)

J70

Quote from: Main Street on March 23, 2021, 11:17:50 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 23, 2021, 05:58:37 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 16, 2021, 02:33:08 PM
I gave up on it after four or five episodes.  Gleeson is great as usual, but the show had nothing else going for it IMO.

Finished out the first season.

I enjoyed it. Its no Sopranos or Breaking Bad, but a good show overall. Gleeson is brilliant! I'll definitely check out the second season.
Brendan's exaggerated Dublin persona did irritate me, he over-eggs it to taxi driver depths. He's a perfectly naturally aspired Dub, complete with a pleasant Dublin accent. i think he should have gone with that, just as Gabriel Byrne sounds the same on film as he does day to day.

I doubt if most Americans even understood his repeated use of "feck me in the arse!". :D

Although my wife, to be fair, has managed to watch it without subtitles.

Can't say the same for Derry Girls, despite their accents not being a million miles from my own. Although years away has taken the edge off a wee bit, both in dialect and, to a lesser extent, accent.

J70

Its a decent series overall, although you do have to suspend disbelief here and there. And a few rather surprising twists with respect to certain characters. I'll say no more than that. I think HBO have renewed it for a second season. And yes, when it comes to the actual acting part, Kelly Cuoco is surprisingly good.

Milltown Row2

Netflix can be a bollox, they must commission so many series and ditch them after maybe two seasons, yes I get the fact that some are completely non runners but some of the shite my kids watch and they are season 12! 

What channel is the flight attendant on?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 26, 2021, 07:26:41 PM

What channel is the flight attendant on?

It's on Sky. Can be downloaded from their One Demand service

Tony Baloney

Quote from: J70 on March 26, 2021, 07:00:28 PM

Its a decent series overall, although you do have to suspend disbelief here and there. And a few rather surprising twists with respect to certain characters. I'll say no more than that. I think HBO have renewed it for a second season. And yes, when it comes to the actual acting part, Kelly Cuoco is surprisingly good.
6 episodes in and overall it is good but lost a bit of steam after the first episode which was a corker.

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on March 26, 2021, 06:52:50 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 23, 2021, 11:17:50 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 23, 2021, 05:58:37 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 16, 2021, 02:33:08 PM
I gave up on it after four or five episodes.  Gleeson is great as usual, but the show had nothing else going for it IMO.

Finished out the first season.

I enjoyed it. Its no Sopranos or Breaking Bad, but a good show overall. Gleeson is brilliant! I'll definitely check out the second season.
Brendan's exaggerated Dublin persona did irritate me, he over-eggs it to taxi driver depths. He's a perfectly naturally aspired Dub, complete with a pleasant Dublin accent. i think he should have gone with that, just as Gabriel Byrne sounds the same on film as he does day to day.

I doubt if most Americans even understood his repeated use of "feck me in the arse!". :D

Although my wife, to be fair, has managed to watch it without subtitles.

Can't say the same for Derry Girls, despite their accents not being a million miles from my own. Although years away has taken the edge off a wee bit, both in dialect and, to a lesser extent, accent.

You need the book mentioned hee
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/irishisms-a-beginner-s-guide-to-ructions-dotes-yokes-fierce-eejits-and-m%C3%A9-f%C3%A9iners-1.4510731
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Louther

Cracking Line of Duty last night.

So much happened but so much left hanging. Best of the season so far.

Fingers can be pointed in several directions. Roll on next Sunday.

lurganblue

Quote from: Louther on April 12, 2021, 09:53:00 AM

Unreal episode. I haven't a clue what's going on half the time but still enjoy it.  I'm constantly wondering who certain people are cos I cant remember them.  This is a show I could watch again from the start.

Finished Your Honour over the weekend. Decent, but hated the ending.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lurganblue on April 12, 2021, 01:58:07 PM

Unreal episode. I haven't a clue what's going on half the time but still enjoy it.  I'm constantly wondering who certain people are cos I cant remember them.  This is a show I could watch again from the start.

Finished Your Honour over the weekend. Decent, but hated the ending.
Yes good stuff. After the first episode I was concerned this series was going to be a dud. Super episode last night HOWEVER they need to wrap it up soon.

screenexile

That was a brilliant episode probably one of the best really enjoyed it mother of god!!

armaghniac

I've been watching the first couple of series again, they do bear watching a second time and you see where some of the stuff in current series come from.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Smother on RTE was excellent, surprisingly good in fact.

Louther

Quote from: armaghniac on April 12, 2021, 11:16:01 PM

I've been watching the first couple of series again, they do bear watching a second time and you see where some of the stuff in current series come from.

You watching them now during this season? Not a bad idea. I do have to read some of the message boards that help fill in the blanks. A lot of linkage.

I see the other AC head Carmichael is back this week, she was in me if the best things about an average last season. Bound to be an interview scene with her doing the grilling coming up and her mad to turn the tables with the way it ended last time.