Armagh's best pub?

Started by Over the Bar, January 21, 2007, 09:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh ABÚ

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 23, 2007, 09:12:16 PM
Quote from: armagh leg-end on January 23, 2007, 08:30:27 PM
Armagh Abu, what about the golf club on the newry road, or the bar in armagh city's social club?

Or the Hole in the Wall, or the British Legion? ;D

Still, it's never been the same since the demise of The Plough!! :'(

Bring back the Plough!! >:(

Never graced these bars with my company over the years! ;)

BenDover

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 24, 2007, 09:05:25 AM
...BenDover's favourite - The Pub With No Beer!

How did ye know lol! Prob the only pub I've never been ejected from  :P

The Iceman

Armagh Abu, what about the golf club on the newry road, or the bar in armagh city's social club?

Or the Hole in the Wall, or the British Legion?  ;D 

Still, it's never been the same since the demise of The Plough!!  :'( 

Bring back the Plough!!  >:(

The Plough had the best outside toilets in Armagh and a great pool table that my brother could open and get us free games when nobody was looking! But don't tell the boss cause I was the bar man and let this happen!!! LOL

Fond memories include Hawk Crilly trying to de-capitate me with a fence post and smashing all the glasses behind the bar in the process! 
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

rafferotti

Yes the "Plough" in Armagh wins by a mile.

Sophistication, quality beer,unique safe atmosphere, intellectual banter and legendary fair hustling,.... all died in Armagh the day the great bar closed.It was also the scene of Rufus's last round of beers and his early womanising.

Some people may come home again if it opened its doors.

The Gs Man

Quote from: lurganblue on January 24, 2007, 09:16:28 AM
Quote from: The Gs Man on January 23, 2007, 08:13:28 PM
Quote from: stiffler on January 23, 2007, 06:30:54 PM
best bar in lurgan is the batcave, cant beat the pints of tennants and the jukebox.

weres this jp spot yous are on about

Feck aff Stiffler.  The Ceili House....number one for live music, including Billy Elvis Quinn.

JP's is the new name for Cheers by the way...

G's the music might be good from time to time (none of those times are when billy quinn is playing) but generally that pub is a shite hole. avoid unless your a hardcore alcoholic or a bum.

Cheers/JP's has a new owner and has been done up appartently. havent been in it yet but its supposed to be good craic in there now.

Ceili House isn't the only one under new ownership now Lurganblue...... ;)
Keep 'er lit

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Armagh ABÚ on January 24, 2007, 10:54:35 AM

Or the Hole in the Wall, or the British Legion? ;D

Still, it's never been the same since the demise of The Plough!! :'(

Bring back the Plough!! >:(

Never graced these bars with my company over the years! ;)

As I said earlier - the Plough was great!!  :P

If that pool table could talk - Rafferotti (wearing his favourite pair of Tom Kite slacks) and myself went eighteen games in a row undefeated - 22nd December 1992! I believe some Plough veterans are now asking for that date to be made a holiday!

lurganblue

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 24, 2007, 06:28:45 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on January 24, 2007, 09:16:28 AM
Quote from: The Gs Man on January 23, 2007, 08:13:28 PM
Quote from: stiffler on January 23, 2007, 06:30:54 PM
best bar in lurgan is the batcave, cant beat the pints of tennants and the jukebox.

weres this jp spot yous are on about

Feck aff Stiffler.  The Ceili House....number one for live music, including Billy Elvis Quinn.

JP's is the new name for Cheers by the way...

G's the music might be good from time to time (none of those times are when billy quinn is playing) but generally that pub is a shite hole. avoid unless your a hardcore alcoholic or a bum.

Cheers/JP's has a new owner and has been done up appartently. havent been in it yet but its supposed to be good craic in there now.

Ceili House isn't the only one under new ownership now Lurganblue...... ;)

maybe so, but the low life's who drink in the ceili house havent changed...

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quotemaybe so, but the low life's who drink in the ceili house havent changed...

Looks like you still have your work cut out for you, G's!
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

The Gs Man

But in the word's of that Magner's advert....."Time, is on my side...yes it is!"
Keep 'er lit

Donagh

Lurganblue, is it not a bit ironic that you are slaging the Ceili House and it's 'lowlifes' but you nominated the Foresters and bat cave?

Don't mind the Ceili House myself. Had plenty of good sessions in there late 90's early 00's. Similarly the bat cave, but I certainly wouldn't categorise the clientele as much different (though it's probably easier to buy drugs in the bat cave).

But as I said to nominate the INF  :D. Remember my da bringing an Aussie mate of his in there one night and some oul thing sat down beside him, pissed herself and got up and left without saying a word...

lurganblue

Quote from: Donagh on January 25, 2007, 04:53:40 PM
Lurganblue, is it not a bit ironic that you are slaging the Ceili House and it's 'lowlifes' but you nominated the Foresters and bat cave?

Don't mind the Ceili House myself. Had plenty of good sessions in there late 90's early 00's. Similarly the bat cave, but I certainly wouldn't categorise the clientele as much different (though it's probably easier to buy drugs in the bat cave).

But as I said to nominate the INF  :D. Remember my da bringing an Aussie mate of his in there one night and some oul thing sat down beside him, pissed herself and got up and left without saying a word...

eh donagh if you go and look at my post on the INF you'll see that i described it as a place where you can go get a drink at 8am if you so choose. nowhere did i name it as one of the best pubs in armagh. plus i have only ever been in it a handful of times... for much the same reason as i rarely go near the ceili house if i can avoid it.

The Gs Man

Ach now Lurganblue.  Get yourself up to the Ceili House next Friday night and I'll buy you a pint and you can watch a few good bands.  You never know, you could even win a wee trip to Berlin if your lucky enough.

Change takes a bit of time but it'll get there.
Keep 'er lit

lurganblue

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 25, 2007, 05:09:25 PM
Ach now Lurganblue.  Get yourself up to the Ceili House next Friday night and I'll buy you a pint and you can watch a few good bands.  You never know, you could even win a wee trip to Berlin if your lucky enough.

Change takes a bit of time but it'll get there.

i'll be in it again G's sometime because my friends would go there on the odd occasion... for the quiz on thursday night, or the odd group etc

one of my memories of the ceili house from a few years ago was being at the karaoke one night. a fella wanted to get up and sing "Ride on" but was told he would not be allowed to by the owner as there were protestants in drinking who would be offended. true story... WTF?

Donagh

Hehe, maybe he was just shit.

I remember the owner pulling a similar stunt on a mate from Belfast when the 'Green Glens of Antrim' kept coming out as the 'Gleen Glens'.

You know who you are  ;)

Boolerhead Mel

Ceili house is a smelly hole. The former owner was an aul bollix. He threw one of the mates out because when a mobile phone went of he lifted of his slip on shoe held it to his ear and said hello. Best pub in the town has to be a shebeen in Taghneven. Cannot give the location but the pints are good and you are always made welcome.