Leinster Senior Football Championship 2021

Started by Rossfan, June 25, 2021, 05:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: APM on August 01, 2021, 06:09:42 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 01, 2021, 05:52:33 PM
Boring and unwatchable.

I don't give a shite about the Dub's process.  That crap is unwatchable and frustrating for any viewer - surely even for the Dubs.  Passing the ball about between them, between midfield and the oppositions 21 is not worth watching.  They get away with it because of their fitness, but also because of the fear of the opposition who will rarely do what Flynn did and show bravery and conviction and tear into them.  Only Mayo and Kerry have done it in recent years at a team level.

People talk about Ciaran Kilkenny.  For the same reason people admire him, I find him to personify the entire Dublin approach.  Take no risks; solo on the spot and always give the 100% pass.  Boring, boring crap.

The media fawning over them for the last 10 years has been excruciating. They get too much respect from everyone; referees, other players, media, commenators, pundits!! These boring f**ckers have emasculated the rest of Leinster.  Mayo or Kerry urgently need to beat them.

You do realise the reason Dublin were boring and unwatchable today was because Kildare dropped 14 men back into their own half. They didn't press up on Dublin, even when Flynn got the goal after the water break to cut it back to a five point deficit.

Kildare didn't come into this one hoping for a win, just damage limitation and not wanting to put a sour note on a successful campaign. Completely understandable but you can't blame Dublin for playing keep ball and baiting Kildare to come out and tackle them.

APM

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on August 01, 2021, 06:13:49 PM
Boring and unwatchable.

I don't give a shite about the Dub's process.  That crap is unwatchable and frustrating for any viewer - surely even for the Dubs.  Passing the ball about between them, between midfield and the oppositions 21 is not worth watching.  They get away with it because of their fitness, but also because of the fear of the opposition who will rarely do what Flynn did and show bravery and conviction and tear into them.  Only Mayo and Kerry have done it in recent years at a team level.

People talk about Ciaran Kilkenny.  For the same reason people admire him, I find him to personify the entire Dublin approach.  Take no risks; solo on the spot and always give the 100% pass.  Boring, boring crap.

The media fawning over them for the last 10 years has been excruciating. They get too much respect from everyone; referees, other players, media, commenators, pundits!! These boring f**ckers have emasculated the rest of Leinster.  Mayo or Kerry urgently need to beat them.

You do realise the reason Dublin were boring and unwatchable today was because Kildare dropped 14 men back into their own half. They didn't press up on Dublin, even when Flynn got the goal after the water break to cut it back to a five point deficit.

Kildare didn't come into this one hoping for a win, just damage limitation and not wanting to put a sour note on a successful campaign. Completely understandable but you can't blame Dublin for playing keep ball and baiting Kildare to come out and tackle them.

I do - they have been emasculated. They stood off them and showed them too much respect. 
My problem is not just with Dublin, its that teams don't take the fight to them. 
It is the antithesis of competition.
They are boring and the opposition increasingly tends to be gutless.

I had thought about getting into a conversation about financial fair play as part of that, but that's for another day. 

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 01, 2021, 05:58:51 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2021, 05:50:37 PM
A lot here getting carried away. Dublin don't care about hammering teams anymore. It's hard for Dublin to get themselves up for a Championship that they have dominated for the guts of 17 year now. They won't fear Mayo. Most of this group have never lost to Mayo in League or Championship.

Yup - they very much look a team who know they don't get anything extra beating the opposition by 8 points or 18 points.

Double-digit hammerings only hasten the day that Dublin will be split.
More "competitive" winning margins delay that day a bit further.
Splitting Dublin is inevitable. Accepting the funding and the plan 15 years ago was a poisoned chalice , all Irelands notwithstanding. The basis of sport anywhere  is competition.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

caprea

Quote from: seafoid on August 01, 2021, 06:50:40 PM
A lot here getting carried away. Dublin don't care about hammering teams anymore. It's hard for Dublin to get themselves up for a Championship that they have dominated for the guts of 17 year now. They won't fear Mayo. Most of this group have never lost to Mayo in League or Championship.

Yup - they very much look a team who know they don't get anything extra beating the opposition by 8 points or 18 points.

Splitting Dublin is inevitable. Accepting the funding and the plan 15 years ago was a poisoned chalice , all Irelands notwithstanding. The basis of sport anywhere  is competition.

Splitting Dublin will mean a new 30 k stadium having to be built on the south side. We'll see if that happens

APM

Quote from: APM on August 01, 2021, 06:20:32 PM
Boring and unwatchable.

I do - they have been emasculated. They stood off them and showed them too much respect. 
My problem is not just with Dublin, its that teams don't take the fight to them. 

I had thought about getting into a conversation about financial fair play as part of that, but that's for another day.

I should add,
I know my original post was somewhat irrational, but that surely is most long term GAA followers' gut reaction to watching the last 25 minutes of that game.  Anger, frustration, sickened that the game has come to this. 

Rossfan

Unlike boxing the Ref can't stop the contest.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

northsideboy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 01, 2021, 05:49:49 PM
Meh! Kildare were competitive enough. Accuracy was not where it needs be but with Division 1 football next season Feeley, Doyle and Cribben to return I am optimistic that we can close the gap as Dublin will transition for a year or two before kicking on. The mad Flynn brothers were class, Dan best player on the pitch and Luke marked Fenton out of the game. A decent year. Everyone was expecting a trimming so confidence maintained. Only 2 goals conceded all year.
As a Dub, it was good to see Kildare make an attempt today. A county of Kildare's size, genuine support and heritage should be closer to the top table than they have been over the past 10 years. Perhaps like Pat Gilroy in 2010, Jack O' Connor has made Kildare tough to beat first and perhaps there might be a way to utilise the talents of Daniel Flynn etc next.
There was a complete lack of goal threat from Dublin today. Rediscovering that is the real key to winning the All Ireland.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: northsideboy on August 01, 2021, 07:29:31 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 01, 2021, 05:49:49 PM
Meh! Kildare were competitive enough. Accuracy was not where it needs be but with Division 1 football next season Feeley, Doyle and Cribben to return I am optimistic that we can close the gap as Dublin will transition for a year or two before kicking on. The mad Flynn brothers were class, Dan best player on the pitch and Luke marked Fenton out of the game. A decent year. Everyone was expecting a trimming so confidence maintained. Only 2 goals conceded all year.
As a Dub, it was good to see Kildare make an attempt today. A county of Kildare's size, genuine support and heritage should be closer to the top table than they have been over the past 10 years. Perhaps like Pat Gilroy in 2010, Jack O' Connor has made Kildare tough to beat first and perhaps there might be a way to utilise the talents of Daniel Flynn etc next.
There was a complete lack of goal threat from Dublin today. Rediscovering that is the real key to winning the All Ireland.

Limerick in the hurling don't chase goals, goals come along but scoring over 30 unstoppable points will win the game in most cases.

Dublin seemed happy enough to get a cluster of points, dominate possession and win the game.

Dublins game will change obviously if they go behind and they'll punch holes in most teams and create goal chances. 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

Quote from: APM on August 01, 2021, 07:22:19 PM
Quote from: APM on August 01, 2021, 06:20:32 PM
Boring and unwatchable.

I should add,
I know my original post was somewhat irrational, but that surely is most long term GAA followers' gut reaction to watching the last 25 minutes of that game.  Anger, frustration, sickened that the game has come to this.
I know where you are coming from, but to their credit they killed off Donegal and Tyrone whose 'systems' would have been a disaster altogether for Gaelic football and to be fair some of their finals against Mayo and Kerry have been fantastic. 

Baile Brigín 2

But no other sport I know of tries to introduce competition by handicapping the best team...

It's not Dublin's fault Kildare missed easy chances and generally shat themselves.

seafoid

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2021, 09:48:36 PM

But no other sport I know of tries to introduce competition by handicapping the best team...

It's not Dublin's fault Kildare missed easy chances and generally shat themselves.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1330254398535176204

Dublin broke the model
The next model will break Dublin.

Ní uasal agus íseal ach thuas seal agus thíos seal
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

The flip side to that is very few other sports allow a team to play all their major games at home. I don't buy Parnell park is their home ground btw...

From the Bunker

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 01, 2021, 10:03:49 PM
The flip side to that is very few other sports allow a team to play all their major games at home. I don't buy Parnell park is their home ground btw...

That argument is old hat! We have had the authorities drag their heels on such issues. Feck sake Donegal were called 'divisive and mean-spirited' for questioning this a few years back.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2021, 09:48:36 PM

But the handicapping is happening already for counties outside Dublin.

No other sport heavily funds one of it richer members?

No other sport gives all important home games to to one of it's members?

The GAA is not like any other sport.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on August 01, 2021, 07:26:06 PM
Unlike boxing the Ref can't stop the contest.

Dublin in their own way dropped down the gears at various stages and just played keep ball!