Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: greatpoint on June 22, 2021, 06:36:30 PM
Brolly on Cavan:

QuoteWhat has happened to Cavan? Their vibrant Ulster championship, all courage and togetherness, men chasing after lost causes and diving into danger like lunatics, has disappeared from memory quicker than Donald Trump.

If they keep going the way they are at the moment, this time next year they will be in Division 5 with Kilkenny, the Aran islands, Siberian Gaels, Warwickshire over 40s and the PSNI.
Fair play that is a cracker

Solo_run

Quote from: BennyCake on June 10, 2021, 05:31:07 PM
I think what it really comes down to is that Brolly is just an ignorant p***k. "Houl on", putting his hands in people's faces, and then when others are speaking he was constantly interrupting and trying to cut in. Whatever you think of Spillane, Whelan etc, and their analysis, they should at least be given the time and opportunity to speak. With Brolly around, they rarely got that.

The other pundits were having to talk louder to drown out Brollys constant interrupting, and on occasion having to tell him to shut up (I think Whelan told him to be quiet once, and he was right to do so). There's nothing more annoying than someone chirping in your ear when you're trying to talk. Even more annoying if you're being paid to talk.

But again, cutting in and talking over people is another narcissistic trait. What you have to say isn't important, now listen to me because what I have to say is important

Couldn't agree more with this. I find it incredibly ignorant when he does this shit. 

Rudi

Utv had a great show on a Thursday about 20 years ago. Discussion based around the championship in every province. Adrian Logan was the chair, along with some weather man. They had a few mainstay analysts along with guest appearances from counties down south. Twas entertainment, nothing like it anymore. Think Damian Barton used to be on it.

Rich Ricci

Quote from: Rudi on July 27, 2021, 10:58:32 PM
Utv had a great show on a Thursday about 20 years ago. Discussion based around the championship in every province. Adrian Logan was the chair, along with some weather man. They had a few mainstay analysts along with guest appearances from counties down south. Twas entertainment, nothing like it anymore. Think Damian Barton used to be on it.

End to End. Remember watching it as a kid. Great viewing.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Rudi on July 27, 2021, 10:58:32 PM

Damian Barton would have put you to sleep

Jim Bob

Houly , Barton, Mitchell and Logie

APM

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 27, 2021, 10:40:12 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09qlgtm

Listened to this last night.  Great programme.  Small number of speakers, one topic, is a great format. Let's them get under the skin of different themes.  Thomas Niblock a very good presenter and has done some good stuff. They might as well be in the bar.   

BBC's online stuff is very good, but on the flip side, the prominence of the GAA on the BBC is now much lower.  Never carried on FM Radio which is complete bollix if you are somewhere with no internet connection.  Yet they continue to dedicate Saturdays to the Irish League.  I also noticed that there is plenty of GAA on the BBC NI Sport website, but with the exception of the championship games, there was no reporting of it on the BBC NI homepage. 

End to End wasn't really that great was it.  I didn't really like Logan on it and he really didn't seem to like having Frank Mitchell McClory there. The format was pretty awkward. 

BennyCake

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 08, 2021, 08:23:11 PM
Brolly v Oisin  McConville  https://t.co/K5Ra4pfnVZ?amp=1

Listened to that recently.

What an absolute slabber Brolly is. This interview reinforced to me that all Brolly cares about is Brolly. He doesn't want to talk about the game. He just wants to cause controversy so that he's the talking point.

He said Oisin's punditry wasn't memorable. A pundit says their bit, and you move on. Oisin is a very good, level headed pundit but you don't really remember it, because he very rarely causes controversy or doesn't behave like an child. Once the games over, you park it and move onto the next. Nobody remembers any of Brollys punditry, only the childish rants, ignorant behaviour and personal insults. That's not something to be remembered for.

An absolute narcissist, who is clearly missing the limelight.

johnnycool

Quote from: BennyCake on July 28, 2021, 12:24:53 PM

What an absolute slabber Brolly is. This interview reinforced to me that all Brolly cares about is Brolly. He doesn't want to talk about the game. He just wants to cause controversy so that he's the talking point.

He said Oisin's punditry wasn't memorable. A pundit says their bit, and you move on. Oisin is a very good, level headed pundit but you don't really remember it, because he very rarely causes controversy or doesn't behave like an child. Once the games over, you park it and move onto the next. Nobody remembers any of Brollys punditry, only the childish rants, ignorant behaviour and personal insults. That's not something to be remembered for.

Depends if you want to be entertained or educated.

Oisin will educate you on what is going on, Joe tries to entertain, that's his thing but he's ever more becoming a parody of himself.

yellowcard

Quote from: johnnycool on July 28, 2021, 04:12:46 PM

Oisin will educate you on what is going on, Joe tries to entertain, that's his thing but he's ever more becoming a parody of himself.

The majority of sports TV pundits do neither. McConville is one of the better pundits on TV and one of the few whose opinion I would respect. Brolly is probably the most articulate and entertaining but he is also the most infuriating. He clearly has the capacity and intelligence but his personality trait means that he always has to try to be the star of the show. I would suggest that the only format that suits him at this stage is either a podcast of his own with no other guests or a newspaper column.   

APM

Quote from: yellowcard on July 28, 2021, 04:30:49 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 28, 2021, 04:12:46 PM

The majority of sports TV pundits do neither. McConville is one of the better pundits on TV and one of the few whose opinion I would respect. Brolly is probably the most articulate and entertaining but he is also the most infuriating. He clearly has the capacity and intelligence but his personality trait means that he always has to try to be the star of the show. I would suggest that the only format that suits him at this stage is either a podcast of his own with no other guests or a newspaper column.   

I think that's well put.  He has become a parody of himself in many ways.  I think I heard somewhere that he said having the kidney transplant gave him more confidence.  If there was one man that didn't need more confidence........

He did manage to articulate a reasonably good league and championship format on that programme (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09qlgtm), which he explained was only a slight amendment to previous Sean Kelly proposals.  McConville had ideas as well, but didn't articulate them as well.  However, it was well-chaired by Niblock and they brought something useful to the debate. 

I would say some of you won't bother listening to it because it's Brolly.  I'd say a good few more will listen to it, but won't hear anything he says, because you're too busy finding things to get annoyed about.  But it is worth a listen.

restorepride

Forget Joe.  In terms of analysis, Martin Clarke is really excellent.  Great football knowledge with no side-show.

JimStynes

Quote from: restorepride on July 29, 2021, 01:02:22 AM
Forget Joe.  In terms of analysis, Martin Clarke is really excellent.  Great football knowledge with no side-show.

I would agree with that. Marty Clarke and Oisín are probably my two favourite pundits at the minute.

ck

I think RTE need Joe back. The analysis each week is stale, sterile and dull. I would also suggest that it appears to be very scripted.
I agree that Joe has become a parody of himself but he most certainly gives a reason to tune in a HT, knows the game and is entertaining. At the moment I go put the kettle on and wait for the 2nd half to start.

Cora Staunton and Ciaran Whelan deliver zero additional insight and are a bore fest. PC gone mad.