RTÉ salaries, does Ray Darcy have some leverage on the director-general?

Started by armaghniac, August 01, 2017, 03:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Ray Darcy WTF!

Top 10 RTE presenter salaries in 2015:

10. Darragh Moloney €188,803 (not in 2014 figures)

9. Bryan Dobson - €195,913 (€195,816 in 2014)

8. Nicky Byrne €200,583 (not in 2014 figures)

7. Claire Byrne €201,500 (not in 2014 figures)

6. Sean O'Rourke -  €290,113 (€290,096 in 2014)

5. Marian Finucane - €295,000 (€295,000 in 2014)

4. Miriam O'Callaghan - €299,000 (€280,445 in 2014)

3. Joe Duffy - €389,988 (€416,893 in 2014)

2. Ray D'Arcy €400,000 (not in 2014 figures)

1. Ryan Tubridy €495,000 (€495,000 in 2014)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Quote from: armaghniac on August 01, 2017, 03:09:03 PM
Ray Darcy WTF!

Top 10 RTE presenter salaries in 2015:

10. Darragh Moloney €188,803 (not in 2014 figures)

9. Bryan Dobson - €195,913 (€195,816 in 2014)

8. Nicky Byrne €200,583 (not in 2014 figures)

7. Claire Byrne €201,500 (not in 2014 figures)

6. Sean O'Rourke -  €290,113 (€290,096 in 2014)

5. Marian Finucane - €295,000 (€295,000 in 2014)

4. Miriam O'Callaghan - €299,000 (€280,445 in 2014)

3. Joe Duffy - €389,988 (€416,893 in 2014)

2. Ray D'Arcy €400,000 (not in 2014 figures)

1. Ryan Tubridy €495,000 (€495,000 in 2014)

Joe Duffy voice for the common man;D

Hardy

Ray Darcy WTF!

Also, all the others - WTF!

What is it that these people do that somebody has decided is worth a six-figure salary?

balladmaker

QuoteAlso, all the others - WTF!

What is it that these people do that somebody has decided is worth a six-figure salary?

A total disgrace, society is a shambles if it dictates that these presenters are worth that amount of money.  We've seriously got our moral compass completely off kilter if we think the above list are entitled to that compensation, shocking.

TheOptimist

Quote from: balladmaker on August 01, 2017, 03:40:03 PM

A total disgrace, society is a shambles if it dictates that these presenters are worth that amount of money.  We've seriously got our moral compass completely off kilter if we think the above list are entitled to that compensation, shocking.

Like it or not its the top of the pyramid, therefore the wages can be demanded/negotiated. Every profession is the same. Very few people start of at the top.

thewobbler

You do realise that the most watched / listened to shows bring in the highest advertising revenue, don't you?

armaghniac

Quote from: Hardy on August 01, 2017, 03:35:20 PM
Ray Darcy WTF!

A size figure salary is not totally unusual, marketing managers and even boring accountants can get this. Some of the higher values seem a bit excessive to me.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jim_Murphy_74

Ray Darcy WTF!

I presume they waved a big wedge at him to come to RTE.

Question 1: Could these folk get the money from rivals?
Question 2: Would it hit RTE bad if they did?

Also Nicky B did well to come from 2 years of freelance stuff to top 10.

/Jim.

Edit:  Has Kevin Myers checked this list out for their religious affiliation?

Esmarelda

Quote from: thewobbler on August 01, 2017, 03:48:44 PM

You do realise that the most watched / listened to shows bring in the highest advertising revenue, don't you?
Exactly.

Would I be right in thinking that the three women listed don't have a daily broadcast? Strange then that they'd be paid. Perhaps they have other duties that we're unaware of.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on August 01, 2017, 04:31:33 PM
Ray Darcy WTF!

/Jim.

These folk would not get near that money from their Rivals. And if they did they'd have to do a lot of multitask to the hilt as most of their contemporaries do on TV3!

mrdeeds

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2017, 04:46:05 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on August 01, 2017, 04:31:33 PM
Ray Darcy WTF!

/Jim.

These folk would not get near that money from their Rivals. And if they did they'd have to do a lot of multitask to the hilt as most of their contemporaries do on TV3!

Did Pat Kenny not leave because Newstalk paid way more?

BennyCake

Can't understand why Tubridy is on TV or radio. I just don't get it. He can't relate or chat normally to ordinary people.

Captain Scarlet

I think the worst thing is that none of these have real sell'on value for want of a better term. Most of the other media outlets would be near bankrupt to pay them wages, plus pensions and perks.
Of course, the main outrage is coming from claims of sexism that Sharon gets less than Dobbo for the same job, ignoring the fact his contract was probably inked in the 80s when the terms were bulletproof.

Joe Duffy just sits and listens to sob stories over the phone. He has a team behind him filtering them as they must get hundreds of calls and emails every day. They don´t even have to go looking for the

I just can´t warm to Tubs and on top of that you could pout an automaton hosting the Late Late and people would watch it because it´s the Late Late.
Darcy is another terrible TV host, although he is much better on radio. That´s the sad part of it all. I know it is noted that people on top of any profession get top dollar, but in other fields these people might actually be shit hot and be head hunted internationally. In other words they are top class.
Some of those people on that list are not good full stop.

I must admit I like Marian as a way to ease into the weekend, but FFS she is on outrageous money for just having a chat.
Others like Claire Byrne and Marian do serious work and have to be up with current affairs and actually be on top of things. The likes of Byrne is earaning it much more than most on that list.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 01, 2017, 04:33:58 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 01, 2017, 03:48:44 PM

Exactly.

Would I be right in thinking that the three women listed don't have a daily broadcast? Strange then that they'd be paid. Perhaps they have other duties that we're unaware of.
She does the tae and sandwiches.

Hardy

Quote from: armaghniac on August 01, 2017, 04:09:14 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 01, 2017, 03:35:20 PM
Ray Darcy WTF!

A size figure salary is not totally unusual, marketing managers and even boring accountants can get this. Some of the higher values seem a bit excessive to me.

I have no problem with six-figure salaries. I just don't see anything any of these people do as being worth more than about €50K or much, much less if they were paid by the hour - some of them don't work more than a few hours a week.

As for the argument that presenting the most watched shows entitles them to these exorbitant rates of pay - why is RTÉ the only niche in the public service where this model applies? Does the Revenue Commissioner whose group collects the most taxes get paid more than the other commissioners?

The basic question - what exactly is the expertise, aptitude, experience, ability or body of knowledge that qualifies any of these people to be paid more than someone with qualifications and experience in a profession or trade?