Working from Home?

Started by macker15, May 19, 2021, 10:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2021, 09:26:06 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2021, 09:20:43 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2021, 09:14:39 PM
WTF are you talking about? HR policy is that he can work from home during the pandemic. No rules are being bent. You, as the manager, would be trying to impose your own ruleset on someone for no other reason than to be a complete p***k.

From an employers perspective he's unavailable to go to work. Regardless if HR are letting people work from home. What if he needs to go his place of work? It's not about this one individual case, it's about all the possible cases across the business. Some lad who's needed in the office but can't come in? I think you need to look at it from the employers perspective and what is best for the business.

You understand that HR are part of the business, yes? They represent the employer. So what are you on about "from the employer's perspective"?

His job is deemed capable of being performed from home, and under the protocols in place during the pandemic, he can work from home as required. His manager tried to stop this happening. I've no idea what two bit operation you work for, but good luck to you insisting employees have to be in the office in contravention of company policy.

It's a hard one mate. There could be something in the small print. Working from home during the pandemic is one thing, travelling abroad and returning may fall under something else. That said, I've sympathy for his situation

trailer

Quote from: armaghniac on June 10, 2021, 08:41:31 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 10, 2021, 02:37:24 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2021, 10:26:43 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 09:31:25 AM
The ones that won't are the ones with too manay managers who just want to try and control their workers... Needs to be trust. It's harder to micro manage too when people are WFH. (Though can be done no doubt)

Hello NI public sector.

Farther in law has both doses and works, let's just say in higher education, and is coming here next Tuesday to see his 9 month old granddaughter for the first time. Has to quarantine on return. Manager said he couldn't work from home (as had been done successfully throughout the pandemic) during his quarantine and he'd have to use annual leave. Spoke to HR about it and they said it absolutely wasn't a problem.
That's crazy. If she hadn't known he was going to Barcelona then it wouldn't have been an issue. His honesty is being exploited. I'd refuse to take leave if I was him.

The point is that working from home may be a concession, in that people in jobs may be required to come to the office from time to time, some more than others. A lot of employers would not want a class of worker who can refuse to come to the office, although they might be at home 95% of the time. This precludes people deliberately putting themselves in a position where they must work from home. Also there are equity considerations if person A can head off abroad on holidays, while person B who does work in the office cannot do this as they would need the leave for the quarantine.

It opens the whole business up to everyone going on holidays and quarantining/ working at home. This can only lead to operational issues. If Johnny can do it why can't I? As usually the employee sees it entirely from his perspective and thinks they're the only consideration.

gallsman

If Johnny can do it, then anybody else whose job gets categorised the same way can do it, of course. Bob, the building security guard's job, has been assessed as impossible to do from home, therefore he goes into the office. It's really, really simple.

What don't you understand about the fact that these aren't builders or plumbers or electricians? It has already been assessed that allowing someone to work from home either does not cause an operational issue, or that any operational issue arising is within tolerable limits.

This was the specifics of my example. An organisation with a HR department that writes official policy for the employees of the organisation. You decided to with in with your completely different example of "well I employ two men and a dog where I need them to be on site and I wouldn't allow it". Not remotely the same like.

Taylor

Anyone based in Barcelona are on the pigs back so to speak.

Unions make employers lives intolerable - the other side of the coin is they are super for employees

macker15

StephenC

Quote from: Taylor on June 11, 2021, 02:38:20 PM
Unions make employers lives intolerable - the other side of the coin is they are super for employees

I've worked in a lot of unionised environments and have never found them to be super for employees. They are super for the bottom quartile of performers, and pretty meh for the rest.

imtommygunn

The wife works in HR in a very large company and is saying they are starting to have a lot of issues with employees, at various levels, who are just not present online and the sooner they get back to the office the better for her sanity as she is sick asking people why they're not online.

bennydorano

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 29, 2021, 09:15:39 AM
The wife works in HR in a very large company and is saying they are starting to have a lot of issues with employees, at various levels, who are just not present online and the sooner they get back to the office the better for her sanity as she is sick asking people why they're not online.
Think you can set your MS Teams status to whatever you want it to  appear like, can imagine that function will be getting disabled fairly sharpish.

imtommygunn

Not much use if you don't reply though.

trueblue1234

Put yourself to green
Download the teams app to your phone
Pour beer
Go out and sit in the sun

*until they realise you've done f**k all and get fired. Then you'll have all the time you want outside! 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 29, 2021, 09:15:39 AM
Always best to have a big document to review that requires you to be away from the machine for a while  ;). Do Not Disturb. Although the oricks in our work try ringing anyway as they just assume everyone has a bluff status on. Keep your powder dry and don't reveal the 👁