Working from Home?

Started by macker15, May 19, 2021, 10:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2021, 06:50:38 PM
It was nothing to do with people travelling, his manager decided of her own accord that he couldn't work his quarantine period for absolutely no reason other than being an arsehole. HR policy at the minute perfectly entitles him to work from home.

I think I'd ask my employeees to take it as leave as well. It goes against the essential travel only idea. Take it as leave and sure he'll be grand.

gallsman

Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2021, 06:57:10 PM
It was nothing to do with people travelling, his manager decided of her own accord that he couldn't work his quarantine period for absolutely no reason other than being an arsehole. HR policy at the minute perfectly entitles him to work from home.

I think I'd ask my employeees to take it as leave as well. It goes against the essential travel only idea. Take it as leave and sure he'll be grand.

Why?

You'd look a right twat after HR undermine your position.

Whether or not it's essential travel or not has absolutely nothing to do with you as an employer. Try to pull that sort of shit and it'd be you out of a job.

trailer

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2021, 08:47:02 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2021, 06:57:10 PM

Why?

You'd look a right twat after HR undermine your position.

Whether or not it's essential travel or not has absolutely nothing to do with you as an employer. Try to pull that sort of shit and it'd be you out of a job.

Because it's impossible to predict if he can do his job from home. He's completely unavailable to go to his place of work. If he was needed he can't go. That'd be a problem and if you do bend the rule for one you have to do it for everyone and if you're trying to run a business and the staff are making up the rules well it's an issue. What next just saying you're working from home and go on a holiday? It has to be fair to both the employer as well as the employee IMO.

gallsman

WTF are you talking about? HR policy is that he can work from home during the pandemic. No rules are being bent. You, as the manager, would be trying to impose your own ruleset on someone for no other reason than to be a complete p***k.

trailer

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2021, 09:14:39 PM
WTF are you talking about? HR policy is that he can work from home during the pandemic. No rules are being bent. You, as the manager, would be trying to impose your own ruleset on someone for no other reason than to be a complete p***k.

From an employers perspective he's unavailable to go to work. Regardless if HR are letting people work from home. What if he needs to go his place of work? It's not about this one individual case, it's about all the possible cases across the business. Some lad who's needed in the office but can't come in? I think you need to look at it from the employers perspective and what is best for the business.

gallsman

Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2021, 09:20:43 PM

From an employers perspective he's unavailable to go to work. Regardless if HR are letting people work from home. What if he needs to go his place of work? It's not about this one individual case, it's about all the possible cases across the business. Some lad who's needed in the office but can't come in? I think you need to look at it from the employers perspective and what is best for the business.

You understand that HR are part of the business, yes? They represent the employer. So what are you on about "from the employer's perspective"?

His job is deemed capable of being performed from home, and under the protocols in place during the pandemic, he can work from home as required. His manager tried to stop this happening. I've no idea what two bit operation you work for, but good luck to you insisting employees have to be in the office in contravention of company policy.

trailer

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2021, 09:26:06 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2021, 09:20:43 PM

You understand that HR are part of the business, yes? They represent the employer. So what are you on about "from the employer's perspective"?

His job is deemed capable of being performed from home, and under the protocols in place during the pandemic, he can work from home as required. His manager tried to stop this happening. I've no idea what two bit operation you work for, but good luck to you insisting employees have to be in the office in contravention of company policy.

You're getting fierce worked up about this. Relax.
I run my own business so fortunately I can make the rules.

RedHand88

Facebook are not only going to let people work from home, but will allow them to work remotely from outside Ireland!

imtommygunn

IT companies shouldn't care where you work - with the only caveat being timezone.

gallsman

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 10, 2021, 01:10:53 PM
Facebook are not only going to let people work from home, but will allow them to work remotely from outside Ireland!

They have to be careful with that though due to tax.

shark

Quote from: gallsman on June 10, 2021, 01:46:36 PM

I reckon this will be much tighter than they are letting on. Will be available for a limited number of specific roles.

trailer

Quote from: shark on June 10, 2021, 02:03:13 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 10, 2021, 01:46:36 PM

I reckon this will be much tighter than they are letting on. Will be available for a limited number of specific roles.

For sure. It's a great headline but the reality will be far stricter.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2021, 10:26:43 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 09:31:25 AM
The ones that won't are the ones with too manay managers who just want to try and control their workers... Needs to be trust. It's harder to micro manage too when people are WFH. (Though can be done no doubt)

Hello NI public sector.

Farther in law has both doses and works, let's just say in higher education, and is coming here next Tuesday to see his 9 month old granddaughter for the first time. Has to quarantine on return. Manager said he couldn't work from home (as had been done successfully throughout the pandemic) during his quarantine and he'd have to use annual leave. Spoke to HR about it and they said it absolutely wasn't a problem.
That's crazy. If she hadn't known he was going to Barcelona then it wouldn't have been an issue. His honesty is being exploited. I'd refuse to take leave if I was him.
Careful now

armaghniac

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 10, 2021, 02:37:24 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2021, 10:26:43 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 09:31:25 AM
The ones that won't are the ones with too manay managers who just want to try and control their workers... Needs to be trust. It's harder to micro manage too when people are WFH. (Though can be done no doubt)

Hello NI public sector.

Farther in law has both doses and works, let's just say in higher education, and is coming here next Tuesday to see his 9 month old granddaughter for the first time. Has to quarantine on return. Manager said he couldn't work from home (as had been done successfully throughout the pandemic) during his quarantine and he'd have to use annual leave. Spoke to HR about it and they said it absolutely wasn't a problem.
That's crazy. If she hadn't known he was going to Barcelona then it wouldn't have been an issue. His honesty is being exploited. I'd refuse to take leave if I was him.

The point is that working from home may be a concession, in that people in jobs may be required to come to the office from time to time, some more than others. A lot of employers would not want a class of worker who can refuse to come to the office, although they might be at home 95% of the time. This precludes people deliberately putting themselves in a position where they must work from home. Also there are equity considerations if person A can head off abroad on holidays, while person B who does work in the office cannot do this as they would need the leave for the quarantine.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 10, 2021, 01:14:20 PM
IT companies shouldn't care where you work - with the only caveat being timezone.

and in some cases it is beneficial to have the different timezones! We (east coast australia) regularly deal with planners that are in Canada. WE can give them a task, they work on it overnight and we have it back first thing in the morning. We can use the day review and make changes and send it back to them.
Hasta la victoria siempre