Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

He loves the attention. He talks a fair bit of shite but he can be good value a lot of the time too.

Deerstalker

Quote from: bannside on August 27, 2023, 07:03:37 PM
Disagree. Joe could make x5 times his salary by ignoring Gaa and political ongoings, just put head down, make QC and even more dollars. You're wide off the mark there Trailer.

He has a completely different motivation but it's not dollars.

He's a narcissist.

Franko

Quote from: trailer on August 27, 2023, 06:04:25 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on August 24, 2023, 12:54:04 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 24, 2023, 10:30:26 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 24, 2023, 10:15:37 AM
Maybe so, but don't triumph a republican background then bend over for the pound to get off a person involved in a organisation who carried out attacks on the GAA.

Lucy Letby killed God knows how many babies. She still got legal representation and nobody here took issue.

Is Irvine worse than her??

Everyone would have taken issue if the defending senior barrister was also a public face of Barnados or some other similar vunerable children charity. That would have been a f6cked up scenario and media and maybe gaaboard (WTF thread) would have and should have called it out.

I was a small part of a serial child killer defence team several years ago so I understand the 'everyone needs a defence' angle.

The pound attention rules Joe. I think everything he does and says is about enriching himself attracting attention. Podcasts are entertainment. Let's not lose sight of that.

trailer

Disagree. Joe could make x5 times his salary by ignoring Gaa and political ongoings, just put head down, make QC and even more dollars. You're wide off the mark there Trailer.

Thinking about it now.. I agree.

seafoid

Quote from: Deerstalker on August 27, 2023, 10:22:09 PM

He's a narcissist.
I was thinking the same
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dunsilly King

Read the following closely. There is alot in the signs and symptoms that is nothing close to what you think of Brolly. Surely you can all do better. Successful at college, work, financially secure. Has a family. And he certainly has an extremely caring side to him. And he is hardly upset at the slightest criticism. And he also funny to be around.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental health condition in which people have an unreasonably high sense of their own importance. They need and seek too much attention and want people to admire them. People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are easily upset by the slightest criticism.

A narcissistic personality disorder causes problems in many areas of life, such as relationships, work, school or financial matters. People with narcissistic personality disorder may be generally unhappy and disappointed when they're not given the special favors or admiration that they believe they deserve. They may find their relationships troubled and unfulfilling, and other people may not enjoy being around them.

AustinPowers

Reading  Brolly's columns  will prove his narcissistic side.  The president texted me ,  Rory McIlroy met me in Las Vegas and said "hey joe, fancy a pint?" ,  I was  climbing up Ayer's Rock in  the Australian desert  and two Aboriginal boys shouts "hey Brolly , Get Down from there ye Derry bollix "..... mental stuff.

Plus , he's attacked RTE on numerous  occasions. Trying to  suggest sure I didn't want to work for them  losers no more .  Rather than  the reality he was ousted , and he's  not  a big deal now . Fragile ego.

You'll never  reason    with a narcissist  . You have to njust walk away

Anyway, must go.  Jim McGuinness  has just texted again........

restorepride

Quote from: Dunsilly King on August 29, 2023, 04:10:37 PM
Read the following closely. There is alot in the signs and symptoms that is nothing close to what you think of Brolly. Surely you can all do better. Successful at college, work, financially secure. Has a family. And he certainly has an extremely caring side to him. And he is hardly upset at the slightest criticism. And he also funny to be around.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental health condition in which people have an unreasonably high sense of their own importance. They need and seek too much attention and want people to admire them. People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are easily upset by the slightest criticism.

A narcissistic personality disorder causes problems in many areas of life, such as relationships, work, school or financial matters. People with narcissistic personality disorder may be generally unhappy and disappointed when they're not given the special favors or admiration that they believe they deserve. They may find their relationships troubled and unfulfilling, and other people may not enjoy being around them.

Grandiose Narcissist is the one you're looking for.  Trust this helps.

imtommygunn

I don't think that the description disproves anything. Two things - he made very personal comments with Gough, Grimley, Cavanagh and seemed to have no awareness at all that those comments were totally out of order and he very obviously holds a significant grudge against RTE and has been thriving in their shenanigans. The relationship stuff is tbh straying into personal territory so I know not very much and don't think it's right commenting on that stuff.

FWIW I don't mind him but there is stuff going on in there. He has some very good traits - see kidney etc - but also some very bad traits. Wrt who he has defended tbh I don't think in that profession you should do anything different. If you sign up to something where you believe that everyone has a right to a defense then you should probably defend anyone.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 30, 2023, 08:41:47 AM
I don't think that the description disproves anything. Two things - he made very personal comments with Gough, Grimley, Cavanagh and seemed to have no awareness at all that those comments were totally out of order and he very obviously holds a significant grudge against RTE and has been thriving in their shenanigans. The relationship stuff is tbh straying into personal territory so I know not very much and don't think it's right commenting on that stuff.

FWIW I don't mind him but there is stuff going on in there. He has some very good traits - see kidney etc - but also some very bad traits. Wrt who he has defended tbh I don't think in that profession you should do anything different. If you sign up to something where you believe that everyone has a right to a defense then you should probably defend anyone.

And Marty Morrissey
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

tbrick18

Quote from: AustinPowers on August 29, 2023, 09:50:15 PM
Reading  Brolly's columns  will prove his narcissistic side.  The president texted me ,  Rory McIlroy met me in Las Vegas and said "hey joe, fancy a pint?" ,  I was  climbing up Ayer's Rock in  the Australian desert  and two Aboriginal boys shouts "hey Brolly , Get Down from there ye Derry bollix "..... mental stuff.

Plus , he's attacked RTE on numerous  occasions. Trying to  suggest sure I didn't want to work for them  losers no more .  Rather than  the reality he was ousted , and he's  not  a big deal now . Fragile ego.

It's also possible that all those stories are true and so don't necessarily point to a narcissistic personality.
I don't believe any of us are qualified to diagnose a personality disorder.

I do understand why he is a marmite type character though, he's just one of those people you either love or loathe.
I always found him entertaining and generally insightful when it came to analysis.

I'd have no issues with him attacking RTE tbh. The Sunday game is much poorer, imo, without characters like Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke.
RTE were probably within their rights to get rid of him if he wasn't following their internal regulations, but I actually generally agreed with his comments on certain individuals over the years. Well perhaps not on Marty Morrissey.

He may no longer be a big deal in RTE circles, but he certainly is in his profession. He also has his newspaper columns and the podcast - so I'd say he's stil la big deal in certain sectors.

I've no issue with people disliking him or disagreeing with me on this, but I think we are a much poorer society if we don't have the ability to speak our mind on things as trivial as sport.

What's the craic with Jim now? He just texted me to say he'd been talking to Brolly about a role as a forwards coach for Donegal.  :P

5times5times

Didn't a Crossmaglen player come out few years back and say that all of Brolly's visits to Cross to watch their trainings, was absolute rubbish?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 30, 2023, 10:51:39 AM

It's also possible that all those stories are true and so don't necessarily point to a narcissistic personality.

I do understand why he is a marmite type character though, he's just one of those people you either love or loathe.
I always found him entertaining and generally insightful when it came to analysis.

I'd have no issues with him attacking RTE tbh. The Sunday game is much poorer, imo, without characters like Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke.
RTE were probably within their rights to get rid of him if he wasn't following their internal regulations, but I actually generally agreed with his comments on certain individuals over the years. Well perhaps not on Marty Morrissey.

He may no longer be a big deal in RTE circles, but he certainly is in his profession. He also has his newspaper columns and the podcast - so I'd say he's stil la big deal in certain sectors.

I've no issue with people disliking him or disagreeing with me on this, but I think we are a much poorer society if we don't have the ability to speak our mind on things as trivial as sport.

What's the craic with Jim now? He just texted me to say he'd been talking to Brolly about a role as a forwards coach for Donegal.  :P

He really struggled when it came general analysis and would revert back to his comfort zone of slagging and story telling most of it made up. insightful analysis for me has been done by the likes of Jim McGuinness and Enda McGinley both have put in the necessary research to what they were talking about unlike Brolly.

Silver hill

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 30, 2023, 05:55:44 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on August 30, 2023, 10:51:39 AM

He really struggled when it came general analysis and would revert back to his comfort zone of slagging and story telling most of it made up. insightful analysis for me has been done by the likes of Jim McGuinness and Enda McGinley both have put in the necessary research to what they were talking about unlike Brolly.

Ok, give us an example of a story that he's made up?

seafoid

The thing about Brolly and narcissism is the patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCuMgb2ibwY
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU