Off duty cop shoots robber in Belfast

Started by Dougal Maguire, February 03, 2011, 09:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

A man has been shot dead by an off-duty police officer during a suspected robbery at a petrol station .

The PSNI said it happened on the Albertbridge Road in Belfast at 1905 GMT on Thursday.

It is believed the dead man was armed with a knife and was attempting to rob the the filling station. Nobody else was injured.

A PSNI spokesman said: "Initial enquiries suggest that an off-duty officer discharged his firearm.
Careful now

Milltown Row2

Crazy, will hold judgement till I hear the whole story. Could he not have shot him in the legs or something???
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lady GAA GAA

Tubberman

Jesus Christ, he shot him dead!?  :o

I have no time for ciriminality, but he was attempting to rob a petrol station. Unless he was about to stab someone with the knife, I don't see how shooting him can be justified.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

orangeman

Quote from: Tubberman on February 03, 2011, 09:48:12 PM
Jesus Christ, he shot him dead!?  :o

I have no time for ciriminality, but he was attempting to rob a petrol station. Unless he was about to stab someone with the knife, I don't see how shooting him can be justified.
[/b]

They'll have no bother justifying this.

3 months for stealing a pair of jeans, life, literally for robbing a filling station.

Crazy world boys !

muppet

We need to wait for the facts.

However robbing defenseless petrol attendants with a knife is not a good place to start on the sympathy scale.
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

dont know what happened but as a relation of someone who has been robbed several times i've very little sympathy for the robber. 
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Puckoon

Hard to say it can't be justified when you've someone weilding a knife and committing an armed robbery. Potentially excessive? Maybe - but its pretty low on details currently.

If you're going to step outside of the law - be prepared for the worst.

Tyrones own

Exactly...we've one less knife wielding criminal on the streets this evening!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

fitzroyalty

Presumeably the rest of the story will emerge tomorrow with more details, but the first thing I thought was why could this officer not have held him at gunpoint before calling colleagues?

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Tyrones own on February 03, 2011, 10:02:12 PM
One more murderer.

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

118cmal

Allegedly the off-duty policeman told the robber to drop the machete and at this point the robber attempted to attack the policeman.  This is when the shot was fired.

Allegedly.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 03, 2011, 10:07:12 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on February 03, 2011, 10:02:12 PM
One more murderer.
Convicted already? Maybe the robber attacked the peeler with the knife? If he attacked me I'd put a bullet in him too.