TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on September 25, 2022, 06:03:35 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 25, 2022, 12:05:14 PM
House of the Dragon is very enjoyable. It's not the kind of show you'd have on as background noise though. Need to focus on what they're saying with all the people and place names but it's worth your time.

Rings of power on the other hand is not. Poor writing, slow pace, mostly poor acting and they've made Galadriel, the main protagonist, an insufferable unlikeable brat.

Complete opposite for me.

RoP building a much richer world and is only getting going. It could yet be anything.

HotD is like a boardroom version of GoT. More riding, more violence, more dragons, more incest. It needs to start doing something different or there's just no point to it.

I'd be a huge Tolkien fan which is maybe skewing how I see RoP. Nothing is making sense from a lore point of view. Mithril being a silmaril was a huge wtf moment and was the last straw for me.
Galadriel is portrayed as a horrible person who throws a strop anytime she doesn't get her way (which is alot). It's not the way Tolkien portrays her at all.

Even the lore thing aside, there are writing issues.  I dont get it when they denounce Galadriel/Halbrand as a threat to Numenor etc, then 1 episode later they are following them into a blind battle they know nothing about?   :o

It is very pretty though, the scenery shots are nice, though I've seen there are replicated extras in crowds of 100 which is unforgiveable with a show this expensive.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 25, 2022, 07:23:51 PM
House of the Dragon is very enjoyable. It's not the kind of show you'd have on as background noise though. Need to focus on what they're saying with all the people and place names but it's worth your time.

Rings of power on the other hand is not. Poor writing, slow pace, mostly poor acting and they've made Galadriel, the main protagonist, an insufferable unlikeable brat.

RoP building a much richer world and is only getting going. It could yet be anything.

HotD is like a boardroom version of GoT. More riding, more violence, more dragons, more incest. It needs to start doing something different or there's just no point to it.

I'd be a huge Tolkien fan which is maybe skewing how I see RoP. Nothing is making sense from a lore point of view. Mithril being a silmaril was a huge wtf moment and was the last straw for me.
Galadriel is portrayed as a horrible person who throws a strop anytime she doesn't get her way (which is alot). It's not the way Tolkien portrays her at all.

Even the lore thing aside, there are writing issues.  I dont get it when they denounce Galadriel/Halbrand as a threat to Numenor etc, then 1 episode later they are following them into a blind battle they know nothing about?   :o

It is very pretty though, the scenery shots are nice, though I've seen there are replicated extras in crowds of 100 which is unforgiveable with a show this expensive.

Get what you are saying watching it hoping it will bring you back in, they said it would take a few episodes to lay the land as such...

I read the books as a child and have little memory of them it's been that long, think they brought out (80's) a book which was interactive based on his stories which allowed you to make choices which changed deciding on what path you took..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Agree with you on House of the Dragon, brilliant so far. The period of time between episodes obviously enables more material every week though.

The Dahmer show was brilliant.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 25, 2022, 07:23:51 PM

I'd give RoP more leeway. It's building a world and is still in very early scene setting mode. Definitely feels like a show that has been written with the commitment to five seasons in mind. I'm no expert on the lore, but, as I understand it, the TV show has limited rights access meaning that there's a bit of tweaking and bending of things in order to create a coherent story.

By contrast, HotD gets to piggyback off GoT and doesn't need to bother with scene setting. Even though it's all supposed to be ~200 years prior to GoT, it's just set in the exact same world. So they can get straight stuck into their new set of horrible characters and all their riding and murdering. I'm still waiting for there to be something more to it than that. It's also relentlessly gloomy, with little of GoT's humour.

I enjoy both enough to keep watching, but for me RoP has a much higher ceiling.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

JoG2

Think it was a brave move from the producers of Bloodlands to go full comedy in Season 2, but it's definitely working.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JoG2 on September 25, 2022, 11:39:42 PM
Think it was a brave move from the producers of Bloodlands to go full comedy in Season 2, but it's definitely working.
"Jimmy give us your best evil stare into the distance."

quit yo jibbajabba

That North Sea Connection on at same time on rte aint up to much either. Will still watch to end and will watch Bloodlands thereafter. Glutton for punishment

bennydorano

Nesbitt was awful in that Channel 4 Suspect as well, I gave up on it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on September 26, 2022, 01:47:53 AM
That North Sea Connection on at same time on rte aint up to much either. Will still watch to end and will watch Bloodlands thereafter. Glutton for punishment

never even finished the first series of bloodlands, I'll not endure another
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

I've never seen a series as disjointed as s1 of Bloodlands.

Every episode felt like it had a new writer who hadn't read the previous.

Shocking stuff. How it got recommissioned I'll never know.

nrico2006

Quote from: thewobbler on September 26, 2022, 09:54:17 AM

Bloodlands is terrible, usually the BBC shows are a different level to ITV etc. so that's why I watched it in the first place.  The locations are terrible and some of the acting is really bad, really bad reflection on NI to outsiders.  That doll Smurfit in the first episode for example kept repeating 'My Colin', was so unrealistic and forced.  Numerous other examples of this throughout the episode too though. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on September 26, 2022, 09:54:17 AM

Jed Mercurio's association with it will certainly have helped.

Nesbitt was in a show years ago called Murphy's Law (I think!) which I really liked and he did a good, if cliched, baddie in it but outside of Cold Feet I find him hard to watch.

trailer

Watched the Lorenskog disappearance on Netflix. I liked it, but might not be for everyone. Something about those Scandinavian shows I quite like.

J70

Quote from: Kidder81 on September 26, 2022, 10:25:38 PM
Just saw this today for anyone interested

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-lists/best-tv-shows-of-all-time-1234598313/jeopardy-2-1234599051/

Great list, although obviously centred on American television, and like all such lists will have items on which everyone will disagree.

The first three seasons of Fargo were outstanding. Second one is probably the best single season of TV I've every seen. Fourth one didn't quite catch me like the rest.