TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Watched Lost all the way up til the last episode...think I was away on holidays on something and never got round to watching the last. Heard what happened and out of spite refuse to watch it.

Loved Prison Break and yes the following seasons weren't great but I still liked them.

Band of Brothers was truly magnificence...anyone watch The Pacific? First of all I had no idea about that part of the war but I couldn't really follow the show...everything was super dark and hard to figure out who was who. It's a while since I watched it but I don't remember warming to any of the characters either.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gawa316 on October 20, 2021, 04:53:49 PM
Watched Lost all the way up til the last episode...think I was away on holidays on something and never got round to watching the last. Heard what happened and out of spite refuse to watch it.

Loved Prison Break and yes the following seasons weren't great but I still liked them.

Band of Brothers was truly magnificence...anyone watch The Pacific? First of all I had no idea about that part of the war but I couldn't really follow the show...everything was super dark and hard to figure out who was who. It's a while since I watched it but I don't remember warming to any of the characters either.
Screen, Ted Lasso isn't on that list for a reason  ;)

I liked The Pacific but it obviously didn't capture the publics imagination the way Band of Brothers did. Looking forward to Masters of the Air.

thebigfella

Quote from: screenexile on October 20, 2021, 04:19:18 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on October 20, 2021, 04:05:37 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 20, 2021, 03:57:19 PM
Some strange positions in there, would expect Dexter and 24 to be higher. 

Love/Hate should be in there too, whereas ones like Mare of Eastdown or True Detective stand out as ones that shouldn't be on the list.

Chernobyl is very over-rated too.

I still watch Walking Dead due to having invested so much time on it, don't like to give up on a show which is why I stuck with Hannibal and Falling Skies ffs.

Why? Outside of Ireland was there really much critical acclaim? Also Love/Hate really dropped off in the last few seasons.

That list is meaningless while they have things like Grey's Anatomy and Gilmore Girls on it. Popular is not the same a great.

Great is different to different people. My wife for example loves the aforementioned shows where as I have to leave the room while they're on. They are probably great for the audience they cater to!

One more thing is the absence of Ted Lasso on that list is an absolute travesty!

Hence why I differentiated between great and popular. Fair City is popular but that doesn't make it great  ;D

The Sopranos is not in that list, only 1 season was in the 20th century, so bit of a miss considering probably one of the most ground breaking TV shows of all time. It effectively paved the way for a lot of those shows to be made.

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2021, 09:09:34 AM
The problem for Lost was it became such a big popular show that they milked the ass right out of it, it should have ended sooner..

Its ok to have a 3 or 4 season show, a lot of the European shows don't have these multiple seasons of the same shit, or if you are having these have like 5 episodes rather than 15!!

My wife's attention span for these types of shows has now gone completely, works for me then as I'll head up to bed after putting on one of my shows for an hour.

after saying all that something will come along that'll I'll end up watching for ages!!

Yeah I noticed They like to squeeze the tits right out of American shows. Friends being another example. The last 4 or 5 seasons were absolutely brutal. They should quit years before but they were raking it in with TV viewings, DVD's, merchandise etc.

I liked Gervais' The Office. It had 2 series. Perfect amount. The US one has near 200 episodes. Like wtf?

Oh let's watch XXXX. How many episodes has it got? 582. F**k that.

Unless a show has only 20-30 shows, I'm not interested. Which is why I've seen very few on that list.

Milltown Row2

Fawlty towers!!! Amazing and no rehash of it either, lives long in the memory
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Quote from: thebigfella on October 20, 2021, 04:05:37 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 20, 2021, 03:57:19 PM
Some strange positions in there, would expect Dexter and 24 to be higher. 

Love/Hate should be in there too, whereas ones like Mare of Eastdown or True Detective stand out as ones that shouldn't be on the list.

Chernobyl is very over-rated too.

I still watch Walking Dead due to having invested so much time on it, don't like to give up on a show which is why I stuck with Hannibal and Falling Skies ffs.

Why? Outside of Ireland was there really much critical acclaim? Also Love/Hate really dropped off in the last few seasons.

That list is meaningless while they have things like Grey's Anatomy and Gilmore Girls on it. Popular is not the same a great.

Does it matter where it received critical acclaim?  Surely the 'TV Experts' would still have assessed it.  Dunno what show you were watching though as Love/Hate got better as it went along, with the last few seasons being the best.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

Zappa, a 2 hour documentary about the bould Frank will be aired on Friday BBC 4

The blurb
'The documentary team was granted exclusive access by Frank's wife Gail to a vast collection of unreleased music, movies, incomplete projects, unseen interviews and unheard concert recordings. Much of these were deteriorating and in danger of being lost forever'.

Watched Time staring Sean bean and Stephen graham was a very good 3 part series 

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: lurganblue on October 20, 2021, 10:03:49 AM
Quote from: maddog on October 20, 2021, 09:44:27 AM
Surely if there was ever a show that tore the ass out of it then it has to be "the walking dead"

Threw in the towel myself.  Couldnt live the the monologues.  It had the feel of a show that didnt know where it was going.

I thought it had the opposite problem. It knew exactly where it was going. Over and over again.  Look here! Here's a place we can make a community, all we need is to fence off the zombies. Oh no, bad guys want to destroy us.  Let's have Rick make a terrible leadership decision that will result in more of us dying, and having to start over.

maddog

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on October 21, 2021, 02:20:23 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on October 20, 2021, 10:03:49 AM
Quote from: maddog on October 20, 2021, 09:44:27 AM
Surely if there was ever a show that tore the ass out of it then it has to be "the walking dead"

Threw in the towel myself.  Couldnt live the the monologues.  It had the feel of a show that didnt know where it was going.

I thought it had the opposite problem. It knew exactly where it was going. Over and over again.  Look here! Here's a place we can make a community, all we need is to fence off the zombies. Oh no, bad guys want to destroy us.  Let's have Rick make a terrible leadership decision that will result in more of us dying, and having to start over.

Or as a mate of mine that ditched it quite early on called the show "open the gate, close the gate, open the gate, close the gate". An entire season went on like that.

imtommygunn

I have just started watching a bit of the last season. I'm interested in how they finish it but from being a great show it really did die a death. There were some great series of it though - the guvnor and Negan were great villains.

bennydorano

US Comedy on BBC iplayer called Dave about a Jewish wannabe Rapper, watched first 4 episodes and it's had some serious big belly laughs (plus some mediocrity), but pretty good

Taylor

Just finished the latest series of Billions - great show however the ending left me a bit meh

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 21, 2021, 09:10:15 AM
I have just started watching a bit of the last season. I'm interested in how they finish it but from being a great show it really did die a death. There were some great series of it though - the guvnor and Negan were great villains.

Negan was brilliant.
It did lose its way a bit, but I stuck with it. This final season is just ok.
A bit of a poor villain I thought. Just interested to see how they finish it off really.

I just watched a short series on IPlayer, The Cleaner with Greg Davies. It was really good.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 21, 2021, 11:34:13 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 21, 2021, 09:10:15 AM

Negan was brilliant.
It did lose its way a bit, but I stuck with it. This final season is just ok.
A bit of a poor villain I thought. Just interested to see how they finish it off really.

I just watched a short series on IPlayer, The Cleaner with Greg Davies. It was really good.

Its crazy how we view things, anything he's in or on I turn over, just don't get his style
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea