Ciaran McDonald not named in Mayo panel

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 24, 2008, 08:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2008, 01:48:10 PM
Why is the Meath lad grabbing him by the arse?

He's a doctor, just checking to see if mcgarrity is fully over the cancer
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ludermor

Ah come ML if it wasnt for mayo players ye wouldnt have got yer last one!

passedit

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2008, 01:48:10 PM
Why is the Meath lad grabbing him by the arse?

I thought you were a rugby man AZ. He's obviously 'lifting' him. Strong fcuker to do it with one hand.

Don't Panic

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Bomber2312 on May 13, 2008, 03:52:10 PM
Moysider, my estimation for sligo game would be:
Clarke
Nallen
Conroy
Boyle
Heany
Cunniffe
Higgins
MacGarrity
Harte
Gardiner
Dillion
T Mort
C Mort
Austie
A Moran

its a funny thought but we have an attacking half back line and a defensive half forward line....d modern game eh?

Can't see Parsons not making it, nor Aidan Higgins imho. I'm not sure where Gardiner is in the whole scheme of things at the moment.

The team I would hope/expect to see picked (with a few uncertainties) is
Clarke
A Higgins
Conroy
Nallen
Cunniffe
Heaney
K Higgins
McGarrity
Parsons
Harte
Dillon
Trevor
Conor
Austie
Andy.

The uncertanties, I think, are Nallen (Boyle being an option, or K Higgins to go back and someone like Pat Kelly or Trevor Mort to play wing back; Conroy (is Padden out of the reckoning like? He was only replaced because of injury and God knows whose name is on the number three jersey; and Harte (depending on Gardiner's form really)

I also think its fierce unlucky on Trevor Howley to pick up such an injury so close to championship. While we do have plenty of options in the half back line, he was beginning to put down a serious marker for long term residence at number six . . .
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

rosnarun

titter ye not.
i think cunniffe and AOM played themselves off the team last sunday both looked well off the pace. Gardiner brought a real bounce to the team . trevor may be living a little on rep at the moment but we know he has it in him time for him to show leadership
. CHB has alway been BJP best spot though he could play anywhere .after all wsnt he the man in possesion of the number 3 before he got injured!
           Clarke
p kelly  Conroy  L omalley

Heaney BJP      K Higgins

McGarrity       Parsons

P gardiner Dillon Trevor
Conor B Moran  Andy.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Ok, Rosnarun, Fair enough. If your right about Barry Moran replacing Austin for Sligo if will be some u- turn by management. Barry only made a fleeting appearance in League -as a wing forward! Not saying it wont happen or it would necessarily be a bad thing but would nt that be a strange way to build a team or is it just me?  Feel sorry for Cunnife. A quality half back but maybe a year or two early for chb at senior yet. Should have been in the running for no 5 this year but instead they have probably destroyed the lad making him into something he s not. Would nt rule them out starting him at 2 v Sligo - Johnno does nt give up on an idea easily. My fear is that he ll be ruined and be gone completely in a year s time. Conor Moran was destroyed tryin to make a corner back out of him as well a few years ago. Likes of Cunnife and Keith Higgins are special players and come to attention at underage for their ability to carry and get forward not for their marking abilities.

IolarCoisCuain

Based on the teams Johnno has picked so far in the league, I would guess Johnno's team to line out against Sligo or London will be:

Clarke; Cuniffe, Padden, C Boyle; T-Mort, Heaney, K Higgins; McGarrity, Parsons; Gardiner, Dillon, Harte; C-Mort, Austin, A Moran.

rosnarun

what faith i have in o mahony is based on the probability that he has not shown a full hand yet . which is why im sure barry is for full forward as that was the last place he started in the last championship game for mayo. every county has an austin look at declan quill for kerry cpuple of years back nearly beat mayo on his own in the league come summer no where.
maybe cunniffe has a future as a mayo plaer but th has been very little evidence of it since that same game in derry last year but unlike moran  Cunniffe has had a chance to play himself off the team.
i presume your joking when comparing him with keith higgins possibly mayos best player and a  heading for an all star as soon mayo get a half decent run to Tom who's holding onto his jersey by the skin of his teeth
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

I presume you were refering to me just now Rosnsrun. I was nt joking or comparing really. Lets put it this way. Cuniffe has been an outstanding chb at u21 level for 3 years. Led the second half revival against Kerry in u21 semi final playing an agresssive attacking game.. But any time I ve seen him play senior this year he s been obviously shittin himself at corner back where he clearly is at sea.. Nothing about his play at corner back would suggest that he would be a good corner man. He s a 5,6 or 7, at this stage of his career anyway. If he s not  good enough for senior there yet, fine, but no point in destroying him altogrether by asking him to do something he s not capable of doing - yet anyway. Higgins also suits an attacking wingback role and of course he is our best player at the moment. With Howley gone [ and latest news is that damage is probably worse than we first heard] losing Higgins would be to awful to contemplate. It s keep fingers crossed time with him too with playing both games and the way he plays means he ll get his share of wallops from bigger lads.He ll be more effective in the corner than Cunniffe or Boyle but the wing is his more natural position. However I would nt be confident he would be able for likes of Gooch, Bradley or Deveney if he had to go toe to toe on a marking job in full back line. I think putting Higgins in the corner also takes some of the dash from our game which is our trump card. Was nt comparing players just expressing opinion that players should not be asked to do job they re not cut out for. I rate Cunniffe highly but not in the role management have persevered with. There were reports of him moving to full back  against Meath[ i know it was probably a 'follow your man' episode] but he would nt be considered for a full back spot at u21. It does nt add up. I think they could do worse now than have a look at Ger Cafferkey for 2 or 4. At least he s played there regular and seems to be having a decent run injury free.

RedandGreenSniper

Agree with virtually all you say there Moysider. Cunniffe would only get away with playing in the full-back line if there were two better players beside him to do the serious marking jobs and he was left on the weakest of the oppositions full-forward line - a Brian Sheehan or a Fiachra Breathnach type.

But that would be a waste when he has the ability to be a really good half-back. I know there's still loads in Heaney but looking to the future, we have a potential half-back line of Cunniffe, Howley and Higgins, none of whom are over 23. I just hope, like you, that we are not required to shunt one or more of them back into the full-back line.

Can't believe Cafferkey isn't in - JOM obviously mustn't rate him, but he's one for the future, so is Kevin McLoughlin. In time I think things might come together a bit better but I'd be afraid about our options for this year.

Either we get away with playing Nallen and Aidan Higgins beside Conroy or BJP or else we'll have to bring back Keith Higgins to the full-back line.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

We are no further on from this time last year wondering about the fullback line. You'd think after all the chopping and changing that we could have gotten somebody. Or maybe all the chopping and changing is the problem, not allowing players growing into the position. McLoughlin is a year off the panel yet R&GS imo anyway. He's only 19. However, I do agree with you about Cafferkey. Johnno is under a lot of pressure to deliver something this year. And flooting around with the fullback line won't get us anything.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

QuoteMcLoughlin is a year off the panel yet R&GS imo anyway
??
I don't quite follow, Farrandeelin.  What's R&GS?
O’Mahony is certainly under fierce pressure to deliver something this year okay.
Indeed we expect big things every year, don’t we?
This year there is extra pressure because of the shafting of You Know Who.
I agree about all the chopping and changing about – it is time to allow players develop into positions. If all the switching and flooting about so far hasn’t made up his mind, there is very little time left to get the mix right.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Bomber2312

Its clear we have an abundance of footballers, whom are excellent half backs:
Heaney, Howley, K Higgins, Pat Kelly, Liam O'Malley, Cunniffe and perhaps T Mort.
We are short of cover in the full back line, i agree that players cannot be played out of position....Liam O'Malley is too loose for corner back, he may make an appearance at centre back, maughan reckoned he was the natural successor to jimmy nallen there, opinions????.
Colm Boyle is near a definite for the sligo game in that he hsant really put a foot wrong, conroy will also prob start due to a decent league campaign, perhaps we reading too much into the fact he wasnt present on sunday, he i think is in exam mode and prob would have played otherwise.
So i reckon, its one corner back sport to fill and the the half back line. Basically picking three of the above contenders.
Nallen or A Higgins will get the job, half back line of Heany and K higgins on the wings with BJP, Cunniffe or Liam O'Malley at 6 otherwise if not K higgins will go back to the corner with Heaney, Liam O'Malley/BJP, Cunniffe.....or O'Mahoney could suprise us all and line A moran at centre back.

I attended nearly all the 21s campaign and Cafferkey was decent but i have this worry that he gambles alittle much for a full back, McLoughlin should have been on the team from the start, looked very composed versus kerry....one for the future!

Davitt Man

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 15, 2008, 10:40:38 AM
QuoteMcLoughlin is a year off the panel yet R&GS imo anyway
??
I don't quite follow, Farrandeelin.  What's R&GS?
O'Mahony is certainly under fierce pressure to deliver something this year okay.
Indeed we expect big things every year, don't we?
This year there is extra pressure because of the shafting of You Know Who.
I agree about all the chopping and changing about – it is time to allow players develop into positions. If all the switching and flooting about so far hasn't made up his mind, there is very little time left to get the mix right.

R&GS = RedandGreenSniper

Farrandeelin

Sorry Lar, but Davitt Man has it cleared up (or should that be DM has it cleared up :P)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.