Change underage back to u14,16,18

Started by Truth hurts, October 04, 2021, 02:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

What is everyone's take on this? I personally think that we should change back to the old way. The gap from u17 to senior is massive and let's be honest about it, u19 competitions are a joke. In Down, it was run off like a go games blitz and only a handful of teams entered as your best u19s are involved in seniors. It was ok the way it was!

Armagh18

Would rather the 13.5 or 14.5 age groups be allowed to keep lads playing with people their same year in school.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 04, 2021, 03:12:30 PM
Would rather the 13.5 or 14.5 age groups be allowed to keep lads playing with people their same year in school.
That's worth looking at I think, it makes a big difference when they're younger.

I'm not sure it makes a big difference any more with U17 or U18. Most lads aren't breaking into senior teams until 19 or 20 because they're not physically ready. I agree the U19 wasn't run well in Down, some of our lads were playing 4 games a week at one stage with the senior league compressed as well this year. Sort of goes against the reasoning behind going to the odd numbers to reduce the demand on the players in that overlapping group.

My kids started playing soccer lately and the big advantage I see there is no crossover in ages, they've U10s, 11s, 12s etc and they're not expected to play for 2 teams, never mind across 2 ages at both codes.

StephenC

Pick one setup (odd or even), stick to it, and stop f$%#ing around with it. Mayo are doing a split year which has been messy.

tbrick18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 04, 2021, 04:02:08 PM
I'm not against it but why does keeping them in school years make a big difference?

The big advantage soccer has, from what I can see, is that they don't struggle for numbers. They are able to field a few teams at every age group.
Then again, giving kids a shed load of games on a consistent and regular basis will attract them.

From my own experience, I have a wee lad who graduated from u12s to u15.5 this year as opposed to going into u14s due to the changes.
He's was in 2nd year, small-average size for his age. First night at training he was training with 4th years, some of which are touching the 6ft height and built like tanks. He was intimidated out of it but I was also worried he'd get hurt against lads so big.
As it happened he did pick up an injury which kept him out for the rest of the year and now he's very reluctant to go back.

It doesn't matter what way you look at it, a 2nd year vs a 4th year is not sensible in my mind. This is why I think they should keep it at school years.
The schools have year group based competitions for this reason.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 04, 2021, 04:08:00 PM
I'm not against it but why does keeping them in school years make a big difference?

The big advantage soccer has, from what I can see, is that they don't struggle for numbers. They are able to field a few teams at every age group.
Then again, giving kids a shed load of games on a consistent and regular basis will attract them.

From my own experience, I have a wee lad who graduated from u12s to u15.5 this year as opposed to going into u14s due to the changes.
He's was in 2nd year, small-average size for his age. First night at training he was training with 4th years, some of which are touching the 6ft height and built like tanks. He was intimidated out of it but I was also worried he'd get hurt against lads so big.
As it happened he did pick up an injury which kept him out for the rest of the year and now he's very reluctant to go back.

It doesn't matter what way you look at it, a 2nd year vs a 4th year is not sensible in my mind. This is why I think they should keep it at school years.
I've heard a few parents saying that jump from 13 to 15 seems to be bigger than 12 to 14. It's hard to get it right unless, as you said, you have the numbers to play it at each age group. Most clubs couldn't do it.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

its only 11 a side

Farrandeelin

Mayo used have the primary competitions as evens, with odds starting around now (u-17 the exception, tried it a few years, didn't work). Now the tables have changed with the odds played throughout the summer, and evens starting a week or two ago. I expect it'll continue on this way.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tbrick18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 04, 2021, 04:16:20 PM
But the principle is the same? There is still a cut off date in the calendar?
A 1st year could be (almost) a year older than another first year.

I don't really think that schools have year group competitions for any other reason than that they have year groups.

Edit: Unless of course you are saying that there is a club competition for every year group and you only play your own year group.
Would clubs have the players for that? The facilities for it?

Yes that's true, but physically there won't be that huge a difference between kids in the same year group.
If you have "competitive" grades with 2nd year kids playing with and against 4th year kids then the 2nd years are not going to get much football and could also get injured against the bigger older players.
IMO, the u14, u16 age bands didn't have this as so much of an issue.
There's never going to be an ideal grouping I guess, but I think the overriding purpose of the structures should be to keep kids playing games for as long as possible and unfortunately I think the current setup doesnt do that.
There will always be clubs who don't have the numbers at every age group, which is another problem altogether.

DuffleKing

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 04, 2021, 04:08:00 PM

u13?

shark

From what I understand , the move from u18 to u17 was made to protect the u18 who was getting pulled and dragged between numerous teams. However the vast majority of kids just play with their club and don't play county minor + adult football at that age. As mentioned by others, the gap from minor to adult football is now bigger, for the vast majority of young lads. U19 can never be a serious grade as it clashes with adult football in a way that u18 did not. The drop off rates will surely increase. There was no need to change. 

Itchy

Quote from: StephenC on October 04, 2021, 04:05:21 PM
Pick one setup (odd or even), stick to it, and stop f$%#ing around with it. Mayo are doing a split year which has been messy.

Mayo always did a split year even when it was evens

Sportacus

I know several lads in U17 who are saying this is their last year in football. U20 doesn't appeal to them.  Sad situation. Should never have changed. 

StephenC

Quote from: Itchy on October 04, 2021, 06:14:26 PM
Quote from: StephenC on October 04, 2021, 04:05:21 PM

Mayo always did a split year even when it was evens

The BS between the divisional boards and the BnO this year has been shite. Pick an age group and let us at it for the year.