All Ireland Scór 2009

Started by downgirl, January 18, 2009, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: leenie on April 21, 2009, 10:30:38 PM
congratulations to emyvale....

what about the novelty acts? what were they like? i know what killycloghers was about... i'd say they were disappointed..

was a poor yr for ulster as they normally do very well in all ireland scor, sure tyrone had 3 winners last year! but sure congrats to all who won fair play...

slightly jealous ... but one day  ::)

Did you compete Leenie?

Oldira

Quote from: cornafean on April 22, 2009, 09:58:40 AM
Quote from: Oldira on April 22, 2009, 09:32:32 AM
Does anyone have a positive opinion on the Trath na gCeist format? Its totally dead as an audience pleaser and the centre was less than half full for Saturdays final. They need to bring back the microphone questions at least for provincial and All Ireland finals. Its fine to have written questions up to county level if but for big finals the written format is a disaster. The teams on Saturday had 32 all Ireland finals appearances between them and I doubt they are scared of the microphone.

The written format is a total turn-off for the audience, and indeed for the contestants. There is zero excitement whatsover.

If you watch an tape or dvd of old Scór quiz finals, you will notice that there used to be great audience participation in the quiz - cheering, applause and sometimes laughter in reaction to a witty comment or facial expression on the part of a contestant. Now things are so bad that the quizmaster doesn't even bother asking for silence anymore, or warn against prompting.

What used to be a highlight of Scór is now more like one of Samuel Beckett's more experimental plays.

Ha Ha! Thats good! I spoke to a senior scor person who claimed it was his idea to change to written (a Meathman I think). He claimed people were too nervous to take part in TnaC especially at Scor na nOg level. I rubbished this claim as competiors in recitation and solo singing etc have to face the audience. There is going to be a major attempt to revert back next year and anyone who has contacts in Scor should tell them to support the change. Even if this was only for Provincial and All Ireland Finals where the crowds are big and the contestants are experienced it would suffice. There is a certain snobbish attitude, particularly at Croke Park level towards the quiz.

DownFanatic

Just wondering here how hard the Trath na gCeist is at All Ireland level? Has anybody any examples of the questions asked at this level?

leenie

Quote from: corn02 on April 22, 2009, 10:31:52 AM
Quote from: leenie on April 21, 2009, 10:30:38 PM
congratulations to emyvale....

what about the novelty acts? what were they like? i know what killycloghers was about... i'd say they were disappointed..

was a poor yr for ulster as they normally do very well in all ireland scor, sure tyrone had 3 winners last year! but sure congrats to all who won fair play...

slightly jealous ... but one day  ::)

Did you compete Leenie?

not in the all ireland no.... i wish !
i take part in senior and help with scor na og...  we have gad a few successes at junior and senior at ulster but it has been a long time since we got to the all ireland....

i hate the written Trath na gCeist... as for it saving time.. it does not in my county... really should go back to the old format!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Billys Boots

QuoteJust wondering here how hard the Trath na gCeist is at All Ireland level?

Wouldn't know recently, but in my day the questions were very much of the Peter Murphy type - indeed, he may have been responsible for them.  And no, that wasn't at All-Ireland level, though we did make the Leinster final once.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Oldira

All Ireland Final 2009

1 How many counties have won All Irelands but not won Sam Maguire
2/Who was first man to win the freedom of Dublin
3/ Into what channel does the River Slaney flow
1/In what year did DJ Carey win his first All Ireland medal
2/Who founded a monastery at Glasnevin
3/ What river flows through Limavadey
1/ How many sets of brothers on 1982 Offaly team
2/ Prime Minister of Northern Ireland in 1972
3/ Who is Former Attorney General and Chairman of BP and Goldman Sachs

team

1/ In what year did Malachy Brian Borus sucessor die
2/ Who was first Goalkeeper to win five all stars (as gaeilge)
3/ Who is the chairman of FAS
4/ Who was only man to captain a winning team before and after introduction of Sam Maguire  
   Cup

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Oldira on April 23, 2009, 02:29:34 PM
All Ireland Final 2009

1 How many counties have won All Irelands but not won Sam Maguire
2/Who was first man to win the freedom of Dublin
3/ Into what channel does the River Slaney flow
1/In what year did DJ Carey win his first All Ireland medal
2/Who founded a monastery at Glasnevin
1/ How many sets of brothers on 1982 Offaly team
2/ Prime Minister of Northern Ireland in 1972
3/ Who is Former Attorney General and Chairman of BP and Goldman Sachs

team

1/ In what year did Malachy Brian Borus sucessor die
2/ Who was first Goalkeeper to win five all stars (as gaeilge)
3/ Who is the chairman of FAS
4/ Who was only man to captain a winning team before and after introduction of Sam Maguire  
   Cup

Wouldn't do too well myself on these questions. First question is probably Limerick, Tipp and Wexford...so 3 is the answer.  Offaly brothers were 5 pair?

Anybody shed light on the rest?

Joxer

DJ Carey 1992

First Goalkeeper I believe was John O'Leary

leenie

the river roe...

and thats all i can answer.... no wonder we didn't get through the first round
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Joxer on April 24, 2009, 05:45:45 PM
DJ Carey 1992

Was thinking Noel Skehan for first goalkeeper to 5 All Stars...question doesn't specify hurling or football.

cornafean

Quote from: Oldira on April 22, 2009, 11:09:39 AM
[I spoke to a senior scor person who claimed it was his idea to change to written (a Meathman I think). He claimed people were too nervous to take part in TnaC especially at Scor na nOg level. I rubbished this claim as competiors in recitation and solo singing etc have to face the audience.

Be careful or they might introduce written recitations  ::) ;)

Quote from: Oldira on April 22, 2009, 11:09:39 AMThere is going to be a major attempt to revert back next year and anyone who has contacts in Scor should tell them to support the change. Even if this was only for Provincial and All Ireland Finals where the crowds are big and the contestants are experienced it would suffice.

This can only be good news.

Quote from: Oldira on April 22, 2009, 11:09:39 AMThere is a certain snobbish attitude, particularly at Croke Park level towards the quiz.

Unfortunately this attitude prevails among a certain element of Scór people at all levels. Some people dislike the Tráth na gCeist as they don't like seeing people missing questions on stage, particularly in the early rounds of the competition. 

There are two basic reasons for this, one a tendency among some clubs of not making any attempt whatsoever to train a quiz team prior to a competition (the same clubs wouldn't dream on putting on an unrehearsed Novelty Act, or an untrained dancing team); Along with this, there can be a tendency amongst a small minority of quizmasters to set very difficult questions in the early rounds. Where this happens, the County Scór committees should be rooting it out and ensuring that it does not happen again, in the same way as they monitor and control the standard of adjudication.

Some people forget that the Tráth na gCeist is the only Scór competition that anyone can take part in, if they can't sing, dance, recite or act.  In my own club, this competition has brought many people into Scór, particularly in Scór na nOg, who would never have become involved otherwise.

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: cornafean on April 27, 2009, 12:00:48 PM

Unfortunately this attitude prevails among a certain element of Scór people at all levels. Some people dislike the Tráth na gCeist as they don't like seeing people missing questions on stage, particularly in the early rounds of the competition. 

There are two basic reasons for this, one a tendency among some clubs of not making any attempt whatsoever to train a quiz team prior to a competition (the same clubs wouldn't dream on putting on an unrehearsed Novelty Act, or an untrained dancing team); Along with this, there can be a tendency amongst a small minority of quizmasters to set very difficult questions in the early rounds. Where this happens, the County Scór committees should be rooting it out and ensuring that it does not happen again, in the same way as they monitor and control the standard of adjudication.

Some people forget that the Tráth na gCeist is the only Scór competition that anyone can take part in, if they can't sing, dance, recite or act.  In my own club, this competition has brought many people into Scór, particularly in Scór na nOg, who would never have become involved otherwise.

I fall into that latter category you mention cornafean and am glad of the opportunity to be fit to represent my club, even if it is only the Scór quiz team.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Joxer

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 24, 2009, 06:21:20 PM
Quote from: Joxer on April 24, 2009, 05:45:45 PM
DJ Carey 1992

Was thinking Noel Skehan for first goalkeeper to 5 All Stars...question doesn't specify hurling or football.

It did..

Any clips from the final on You Tube?

downgirl

Roscommon Set dancers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_9kwqwprXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5pIeODq1hQ&feature=related

Ballad Group winners (Clara, Offaly)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEOzxFvQ57M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X64Q-HOUp70&feature=related

Don't like the way they are singing Carrick-a-Rede....it seems very disjointed??

Can't believe this decision to be honest, haven't heard any of the other ballad groups but this group has very little in the way of variation of dynamics, guitar also seems a bit harsh....

Anyone else think Saul junior ballad group could have beaten them???

Joxer

YES ME!