Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornerback

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 15, 2024, 11:35:59 AMQuick question on age eligibility. In lgfa a child can play one go games age group above their own group (up to u13 in Tyrone). And 2 levels above their group at competitive level - u14 upwards. Would a 12 year old who's playing u13 go games and u14 competitive, be eligible to play u16 as well? As Theres no older go game age group, would she be allowed to play the 2 age groups above at competitive games?

From the 2023 Official Guide:
Underage players can only play in their own age group at Inter-County level for U-14 and
U-16 (Effective 1st January 2024).
At County U-18 level, players may play in their own age group and one grade above. Over
18 grade is deemed an adult grade.
At club level, underage players can only play in their own age group and two grades above
it with grades deemed as Under 12, 14, 16 and 18. All grades Under 10 can only play one
grade above. An Under 8 can play Under 8 and 10. An Under 10 can play Under 10 and
12. An Under 12 can play Under 12, 14, 16. An Under 14 can play Under 14, 16 and 18. An
Under 16 can play Under 16, 18 and Adult and Under 18 can play Under 18 and Adult.

At Inter-County and Club level, players must firstly play and train with their own age group.

Personally, I would have serious reservations with an u12 (potentially P7) playing at u16 level (5th years) but it isn't against the rules.  I don't think go-games is a factor as the LGFA deem the age groups at U12, u14 etc.

Gianni

Quote from: JoG2 on May 15, 2024, 10:47:14 AM
Quote from: Gianni on May 15, 2024, 10:24:42 AM
Quote from: Gianni on May 13, 2024, 10:48:14 AM
Quote from: Gianni on May 12, 2024, 10:47:35 AMHi men! I am Giovanni from Italy, I come from Rome. I am an amateur soccer player and now I discover this new sport, i.e. Gaelic Football.
I have already read all the rules but I still have doubts.
Ok, let's get started.

1. When the player is in possession of the ball, the ball is held in his hands, he could:
  A. throw the ball in the air and catch it again with your hands? I think not, right?
  B. throw the ball in the air, hit it with any part of the body except arms and hands and then catch it in the hands? I don't think so, am I right?
  C. throw the ball and hit it with any part of the body, maybe like someone throws the ball in the air and then hits it with his head, legal?
  D. Bringing the ball with the hands at head height and then, without either throwing or releasing it, hitting the ball with the head or any part of the body except the hands, legal?

2. Rule: 1.5 When the ball has not been caught, it may be bounced more than once in succession.. So a player could control the ball with one hand (or two?) and play it basketball style as far as he wants? It would be much easier than soloing so how come we don't see it? The reason I expect is that 'caught' does not infer with both hands?

3. When a player tries to catch a ball in the air he may touch the ball several times with his hands as long as he has control of it. But could he continue to bounce the ball from his hand into the air as Hurling players do with stick and ball?
Rule: To play the ball up with the hand(s) and catch it again before it touches the ground, another player, or goal-posts
But, according to the rule, a player, once he touches the ball once in the air, cannot touch it a second or third time?
I believe as long as he can't control the ball the player could do it, but if we interpret the rule literally this wouldn't be legal, would it?

4. Situation: a player takes possession and hops the ball.

A. After the hop he flicks it up in the air and catches it before it bounces the ground, a posts or a player.
 B. he flicks it to pass the ball to someone else.
 C. he flicks it to score a goal.
are A, B, C legals?

5. Situation: a player with the foot or with other parts of body but the hands tries a "Sombrero trick" and:
 A. in the air he strikes the ball to an other direction.
 B. in the air he strikes the ball and then he caught it.
 C. in the air he caught it and goes on.

6. Ladies Gaelic football allows this:
Rule: A player may toss up the ball with one hand and play it off with the same hand.
So a player toss up the ball with right hand, surpass a player and then he can catch it with right hand, legal?
What does mean this Rule: Showing the Ball or Turning Twice with the ball is NOT a foul providing it is done within the 4 step rule.
I mean what are the showing the ball or turning twice.

Thanks
I add also these questions

Handpass
When a player makes a legal handpass (with one or two hands) he may do:
  A. After he makes a legal handpass, can he catch or just touch the ball on the fly, without waiting for the ball to touch the ground, a post or another player?
I imagine a scenario in which, to overcome an opponent, the player makes a legal hand pass, then goes around him, and finally catches the ball on the fly. But would it be legal?

B. After legal handpass, can he touch the ball with any part of his body (are arms also considered hands?) except his hands, without waiting for the ball to touch the ground, a post or another player?
That is, imagine a player who makes a handpass and then hits the ball on the fly with a foot, a thigh or with the head or, much more spectacularly, with the chest, to pass the ball to a teammate or even to score a goal or a point. Would it be legal?

C. After a legal handpass, can the player touch the ball with any part of his body and then catch it with his hands?

Point with handpass
We know that to score a point is possible either by kicking or handpassing the ball over the crossbar. But with a handpass does the ball have to be hit with a closed fist or can it be hit with an open hand?
Now we have this:

A fist pass may be used to score a point, a Hand Pass may not.

But in the GAA Rules we have it is legal to score a point with a handpass in which the ball is hit with both a fist and an open hand.
Rule:
A player on the team attacking a goal and who
is in possession of the ball may not score:
(i) by carrying the ball over his opponents'
goal line;
(ii) a goal with his hands except as provided
in Rule 1.2, Exception (ii) but may score a
point with the open hand(s) or fist.

Other question:
The ball may be knocked from an opponent's
hand(s) by flicking it with the open hand

But when the ball is released or is bouncing or soccer juggling, i.e. I mean when the ball is not in contact with the hand, can it be stolen by touching it or grabbing it with both hands?

Sorry for my long time but I hope you can help me understand all my doubts. We can't play without understanding all of this.
Thanks

Could anyone help me understand these doubts?

Thanks

Can we assume all the passes are legal!!

A. Yes as long as the ball bounces before collecting

B. Yes

C. Yes as long the hands don't touch the ball on the ground

Point with handpass : open or closed fist are both allowed

Are you sure?

QuoteYes as long as the ball bounces before collecting

A. So if a player makes a legal handpass he can only touch the ball again if it hits the ground, right? But the ball will be legally touchable even when it touches a post or another player, correct? However, if the player makes a handpass and catches the ball without it having touched the ground, a post or another player, would it be a foul?

QuoteYes
B. So if a player makes a hand pass could he touch the ball with any part of his body except his hands without waiting for the ball to touch the ground, a post or another player? We have a situation where the player handpasses and then, without the ball touching the ground, touches the ball again on the fly with his head, chest or leg, would it be legal as long as he doesn't touch it with his hands?

QuoteYes as long the hands doesn't touch the ball on the ground

C. But in this situation we have a player who makes a handpass then he touches the ball with any part of his body except his hands and then catches or touches the ball again with his hands. Wouldn't it still be a foul since the ball never touched the ground, a post or another player in the passage from hands to body parts to hands?
Also, does the term hands mean the hand or also the arm?

QuotePoint with handpass
But in the card it says that the point can only be scored with a fist pass but not with a handpass, in the GAA rules, however, it is not very clear, it only says that you could do it with an open hand and with a closed hand. Why this difference?

What do you think of my other questions written in red that no one has answered yet?
Could anyone else help me understand my doubts?
Thanks

johnnycool

Quote from: cornerback on May 15, 2024, 11:58:03 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 15, 2024, 11:35:59 AMQuick question on age eligibility. In lgfa a child can play one go games age group above their own group (up to u13 in Tyrone). And 2 levels above their group at competitive level - u14 upwards. Would a 12 year old who's playing u13 go games and u14 competitive, be eligible to play u16 as well? As Theres no older go game age group, would she be allowed to play the 2 age groups above at competitive games?

Underage players can only play in their own age group at Inter-County level for U-14 and
At County U-18 level, players may play in their own age group and one grade above. Over
At club level, underage players can only play in their own age group and two grades above
it with grades deemed as Under 12, 14, 16 and 18. All grades Under 10 can only play one
grade above. An Under 8 can play Under 8 and 10. An Under 10 can play Under 10 and
12. An Under 12 can play Under 12, 14, 16. An Under 14 can play Under 14, 16 and 18. An
Under 16 can play Under 16, 18 and Adult and Under 18 can play Under 18 and Adult.

At Inter-County and Club level, players must firstly play and train with their own age group.

Personally, I would have serious reservations with an u12 (potentially P7) playing at u16 level (5th years) but it isn't against the rules.  I don't think go-games is a factor as the LGFA deem the age groups at U12, u14 etc.

A 12yo can play U16 but it depends on when the turned 12. If they turned 12 on or before the 31st of Dec 2011 then they're eligible to play U16, but ineligible to play U12.

If they turned 12 on or after 1st of Jan 2012 then they're still eligible to play U12 and ineligible to play U16.

Bottom line is that if a kid is eligible to play U12 in that year then they're ineligible to play U16 that same year.

JoG2

Gianni - Google GAA Official Guide 2024 part 2. Download the pdf. Football rules from page 60 to 122.

Bare in mind as we've seen on here, the referee's handbook within the GAA Learning Portal has more important detail on some rules #minefield

Milltown Row2

Other question:
The ball may be knocked from an opponent's
hand(s) by flicking it with the open hand
But when the ball is released or is bouncing or soccer juggling, i.e. I mean when the ball is not in contact with the hand, can it be stolen by touching it or grabbing it with both hands?

You can't wrestle the ball away from an opponent if he has it in his possession (both hands) if the ball is open/unprotected then it can be tackled/flicked punched away or taken cleanly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 10:57:28 AM

A 12yo can play U16 but it depends on when the turned 12. If they turned 12 on or before the 31st of Dec 2011 then they're eligible to play U16, but ineligible to play U12.

If they turned 12 on or after 1st of Jan 2012 then they're still eligible to play U12 and ineligible to play U16.

Bottom line is that if a kid is eligible to play U12 in that year then they're ineligible to play U16 that same year.

I think you're looking at the boys Johnny. The ladies is different from my understanding. In that at underage you can play your age group and two levels above.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

cornerback

Quote from: trueblue1234 on Today at 11:53:52 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 10:57:28 AM

I think you're looking at the boys Johnny. The ladies is different from my understanding. In that at underage you can play your age group and two levels above.

If they turned 12 on 31st Dec 2011 they'd be doing well to get away with playing u16  ;D
Yeah, the bit I highlighted above is from the LGFA official guide.