AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mano

Horan has to take a lot of the responsibility for that Mayo performance on Saturday. Firstly a manager needs to change your the tactics somewhat throw in a curveball to keep opposition guessing but it was the same high press which was totally ineffective leaving the defence exposed and man on man with, the Tyrone forwards. Tyrone exploited this with long kickouts and long passes into full forward line. The 2 goals came from this tactic as well as the goal chance in first half. A huge part of preparation for a game nowadays is analysis of opposition- if you use same tactics every game the opposition will come up with a plan to take advantage of it. Horan is very rigid in his tactics and it is not helping the team.

Anyone notice Mcdonald was not on the sideline for the second half. He was up with the subs in the stand. Was there a disagreement between Mcdonald and Horan during the game.

mouview

Quote from: sid waddell on September 13, 2021, 10:49:46 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 13, 2021, 02:04:13 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on September 12, 2021, 10:53:20 PM
To echo a point made earlier..   its amazing that Tyrone beat  Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan, Kerry and Mayo on the way to wining an AI and all many of the pundits can talk about is how poor Mayo and Kerry were.

I think pundits do this to excuse their pre-match predictions if they were wrong
ie "I said Mayo would win and I would have been correct if x, y, z didn't happen"

Fans of both sides will naturally focus more on their team - what could have been better, while ignoring (or partly glossing over) the same type of what-ifs for the opposition.

Or sometimes teams actually do beat themselves and lose a game they should have won hands down. Off the top of my head I can think of at least two big championship games in recent years where Tyrone beat themselves rather than have the opposition do it for them - 2010 against Dublin and 2016 against Mayo. They should have had both of those in their pockets and conspired to throw them away with ridiculous profligacy. That's what Mayo did on Saturday.

Don't agree that Mayo beat themselves on Saturday, in the sense that (bar the very early stages), they were never dominant or ahead in the match and contrived to throw away a good lead. Sure, they missed chances they should have taken, but that's no guarantee it would have swung the momentum back their way.

I always have a bit of a blindspot towards Tyrone in that I never rate them too highly; they really rode their luck in the semis against a Kerry team that showed more accuracy in shooting their feet instead of at the posts and I don't think they've ever mounted a great defence the following season when champions. Also, they got lucky off the breaks in the first half with the long kickouts and the first goal was really poor goalkeeping. However, not rating them is my failing, not theirs. Defensively, they gave an enviable masterclass on Saturday. I guess their longer odds for next year is more a reflection of the (presumably) longer, tougher route through Ulster they face than anything else.

seafoid

Fatalism is a feature of teams in all sports.
Schalke will always lose to Bayern.

But on the other hand psychologically dominant teams can weaken.

https://youtu.be/fG5ktdCndpU
Or else Mayo can beat an even weaker team in a final.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

befair

Difference between the teams was the goalkeepers; Morgan was superb, 2 pts from 45s, an effective extra man coming forward, long raking kick-outs, one of which yielded a goal directly, a good save and psyching out Mayo for the penalty (tho he was well out of his goal, thought it might have been re-taken). Rob Hennelly, by contrast, was steady, made a few good saves, but was less comfortable coming forward, missed 2 45s and might have attacked the ball for McShane's goal.

Halfquarter

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 13, 2021, 12:22:13 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on September 13, 2021, 12:18:40 PM
Was this against Ballina BC?

'Twas
Lovely story , well told.
I remember Ballina winning the Club Football All Ireland a few years ago , also other teams from Mayo like Crossmolina winning it.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 13, 2021, 12:35:36 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 13, 2021, 12:22:13 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on September 13, 2021, 12:18:40 PM
Was this against Ballina BC?

'Twas
Lovely story , well told.
I remember Ballina winning the Club Football All Ireland a few years ago , also other teams from Mayo like Crossmolina winning it.

They did. 2005 Ballina beat Portlaoise in the final. Portlaoise beat us in the semi, definitely one we left behind, but there was a lot of talk of them possibly getting the chance to get one back at us from 99. They should have beaten us that year. Not all Mayo teams have choked at the AI but most have. Knockmore were hit favourites against us in 1997 after their demolition of Eire Og in the semi and they had a star studded forward line but we steamrolled them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 13, 2021, 10:45:46 AM
Some thoughts following the game.

Some mayo fans need to dial down the expectation, business doing free coffees as they expected to win, fans saying tyrone are in for a tanking etc.

Never have and never will understand the hype around AOS. Fails to deliver on every big occasion.

Mcquillan again done tyrone no favours. Mayo 1st point should have been a free out, never seen a more obvious example of a player charging, ohora should have been black carded, AOS should have been black carded on 68 min as he took out mckernan who was running past him, Mcquillan was in full view. The penalty should have been a free out for a square ball then for a mayo player pushing a tyrone player in the back.

Those sorts of call could have costed tyrone, thankfully it didn't.

Overall tyrone were more composed and should have scored more.

Mayo need to drop AOS and get new management in.

First point was no free, he looked as if he lost his balance,head went down and the Tyrone defender enabled him to stay on his feet, there was no complaints from any Tyrone players at the time..

He could have given a penalty depending on who he thought fouled the Mayo lad at the end of the first half, McGeary or Harte fouled him, McGeary outside the box and Hartes contact was inside the box. McGeary should have got a yellow as it it was a goal chance opportunity and he'd been noted just before that tackle.

Burns took the player down before the penalty, could have been black. watch the penalty again, both players outside the box and he picked the ball clean up, no issues there as for O'Shea's black, behave shoulder to shoulder

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tyrone08

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 13, 2021, 01:07:12 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on September 13, 2021, 10:45:46 AM
Some thoughts following the game.

Some mayo fans need to dial down the expectation, business doing free coffees as they expected to win, fans saying tyrone are in for a tanking etc.

Never have and never will understand the hype around AOS. Fails to deliver on every big occasion.

Mcquillan again done tyrone no favours. Mayo 1st point should have been a free out, never seen a more obvious example of a player charging, ohora should have been black carded, AOS should have been black carded on 68 min as he took out mckernan who was running past him, Mcquillan was in full view. The penalty should have been a free out for a square ball then for a mayo player pushing a tyrone player in the back.

Those sorts of call could have costed tyrone, thankfully it didn't.

Overall tyrone were more composed and should have scored more.

Mayo need to drop AOS and get new management in.

First point was no free, he looked as if he lost his balance,head went down and the Tyrone defender enabled him to stay on his feet, there was no complaints from any Tyrone players at the time..

He could have given a penalty depending on who he thought fouled the Mayo lad at the end of the first half, McGeary or Harte fouled him, McGeary outside the box and Hartes contact was inside the box. McGeary should have got a yellow as it it was a goal chance opportunity and he'd been noted just before that tackle.

Burns took the player down before the penalty, could have been black. watch the penalty again, both players outside the box and he picked the ball clean up, no issues there as for O'Shea's black, behave shoulder to shoulder

Would suggest you watch it agian

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_0MVMs4nxx4

2min 34 seconds. Head down running through Petey. Charging.

49min 51 seconds mayo lad in square before ball played and  jumps right into back of tyrone player. Square ball and foul on tyrone player. Tyrone player picked ball off the ground after those 2 incidents. Where the hell did you see burns taking down a mayo player?

1 hour 19 second AOS shoulders mckernan off the ball. Shoulder to shoulder doesn't mean anything if its off the ball, it's still a foul. Black card or at least a yellow.

Milltown Row2

I watched it and in my assessment as a ref it was a penalty, not inside the box before ball was played no push, the lad was well on his way down before contact, clean off the ground, he should have been blacked carded also by going by your assessment of black cards. McGeary should have been yellow carded and penalty given either way, cynical foul going in on goal.

A charge means he's lifting his feet into another player, this lad lost his balance stumbled into player

If you take your tinted glasses off you'll be fine.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

Mayo definitely got the "chalk line calls" on Saturday when compared to other recent finals (from a Mayo supporter)

BennyCake

Re: this curse. A lot was made of it when Armagh drew with Sligo in 2002. Suddenly this 'Armagh haven't won a championship match at Croke Park since 1977' began. I'd never heard of it until then and I'd say few others did.

In reality, we only played 4 or 5 games there since the 77 final. It's not like we were getting beat every year there.

Gaafan2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 13, 2021, 01:41:39 PM
I watched it and in my assessment as a ref it was a penalty, not inside the box before ball was played no push, the lad was well on his way down before contact, clean off the ground, he should have been blacked carded also by going by your assessment of black cards. McGeary should have been yellow carded and penalty given either way, cynical foul going in on goal.

A charge means he's lifting his feet into another player, this lad lost his balance stumbled into player

If you take your tinted glasses off you'll be fine.

you must be a poor ref  :o

APM

Quote from: BennyCake on September 13, 2021, 01:45:01 PM
Re: this curse. A lot was made of it when Armagh drew with Sligo in 2002. Suddenly this 'Armagh haven't won a championship match at Croke Park since 1977' began. I'd never heard of it until then and I'd say few others did.

In reality, we only played 4 or 5 games there since the 77 final. It's not like we were getting beat every year there.

Exactly, the media made it up. 
I don't remember hearing about the Mayo curse in 1996 or 1997 or even in 2004,

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on September 13, 2021, 01:45:01 PM

They played five championship games in the 1999-2002 period alone without winning.

Their league record there was poor as well, losing the 1983, 1985 and 1994 League finals and losing to Dublin in the 1999 League semi-final in a replay.