AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Louther

It's a very hard game to call. I think cause it's Mayo, that factor is having a bearing on that. Does anyone trust them to see it out? They've lost games that they've had won on this stage.

Both teams will be physically a match for each other. I think Tyrone scoring power isn't great but they have impact players from bench to rectify this. Mayo themselves aren't noted for shooting the lights out.

It's interesting that Tyrone have been solid in starting their two Croke Park games, strong first halves and then somewhat holding on by end of the game - Monaghan and Kerry. They've let leads go.

Mayo have been the opposite. Relying on strong second halves to rescue the Dublin game and win the Galway game. If Mayo get a good start and lead into the second half will Tyrone have to come out more and chase the game? Could be massive factor.

trueblue1234

I think both teams will have their purple patch. Where they blast off 4-5 points or a goal and points in a 10 min period. It'll be how the other team react to that, will heads drop a bit or will it light the fires for a fight back.
I'm going for Tyrone half time, draw full time. And plenty of swings and roundabouts in between. Either way I don't think either team will have balls to do a Dublin and calmly pass the ball around the defence and midfield if they are holding a bit of a lead. Which is a good thing from the spectators POV.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RedHand88

Extra time but no penalties, is that right?

whitey

History is written by the victors

Both Dublin and Kerry had chances to kill their games but didn't take them.  Mayo and Tyrone could just as easily be watching Saturdays game from the high stool.

That being said, it's almost impossible to call this one. Will the day be wet or dry? Will the referee get the big calls right? Will there be Black cards? How will the free takers perform under pressure?

Here's hoping for a great sporting game and may the best team win

Geoff Tipps

armaghniac

Quote from: whitey on September 10, 2021, 10:35:27 AM

That being said, it's almost impossible to call this one. Will the day be wet or dry? Will the referee get the big calls right? Will there be Black cards? How will the free takers perform under pressure?

I think we do know that it will be dry.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 09, 2021, 01:27:54 PM

Looking forward to this now - my first time seeing Mayo win in Croke Park was in 1989 against Tyrone (no ticket of course, myself & my brother lifted over the turnstile by our father) so I generally have good memories of playing them. Great respect for Tyrone also, they ate Kerry up in the noughties whereas we rolled over for them. It's a 50/50 game and I'm sure both teams & supporters will think they have a huge chance of winning this AI. I hope to f*ck it's us!! 

If you look back at the SFs, both teams had the rub of the green they needed to get over the line - if both semis went to a replay, I'd say we'd have a different final pairing. In the games themselves, DOC keeping the ball in and the rebound going straight to a Mayoman; on another day, that ball goes wide or goes to a Dublin player and we probably lose the game; same with the retaken 45, it could easily have worked out that Hennelly scores the 1st one and misses the 2nd one. For Tyrone, 9/10 times SOB checks his run, scores that goal and Kerry probably win; or the rebound from Canavan's (very poor) shot falls to a Kerry player instead of McShane and it's a different game. These are the small little breaks you need to get to win a tight game and I'd say whoever wins on Sunday will have a couple of these fall their way.

I think Tyrone will have a different gameplan for Mayo on Sunday compared to against Kerry; whereas Kerry had a few key individuals, we're more of a team unit (as are Tyrone IMO). I don't think they'll concede the kickouts to us like they did against Kerry although they may not go full press. I'd say the first half will be a cagey affair, both teams will be anxious not to concede goals early on, but it'll open up in the second half.

As regards match ups, I'd put Keegan on Donnelly - Donnelly moving out the field will suit us as Keegan will thrive out the field (@ 10/1 he's my tip for POTY). Mullins on McKenna. Swannie on McCurrry. I'm not sure who we'll put on McShane when he comes on (or if he starts) - I'd rate him as the best forward between the two teams so we need to keep a close watch on him.

It could come down to which goalkeeper is more accurate on the day from frees - both can be top notch or absolute sh*te. Come on ta f*ck Hennelly!!!!
Good post and best of luck (boke) to both teams. I'd say O'Hora and Mullins between them will pick up McShane and McKenna.

BennyCake

Quote from: whitey on September 10, 2021, 10:35:27 AM
History is written by the victors

Both Dublin and Kerry had chances to kill their games but didn't take them.  Mayo and Tyrone could just as easily be watching Saturdays game from the high stool.

Here's hoping for a great sporting game and may the best team win

Of course he won't. It's Joe McQuillan.

He'll be sure to make  a balls of the match. That's  one thing  you can be sure of

JoG2

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 10, 2021, 10:29:04 AM
Extra time but no penalties, is that right?

Yes.. Reply if needed the weekend after

rrhf

Hold the trains, et.. I think that is where it is going. A pure 50/50 game and a big call / moment could make the difference   To the sound, solid long suffering Mayo lads who are on here, we wish you all the best, please don't hate us, but as a wise man once said.... it's time to take Sam to Tyrone...

Cobra

Crete Boom

Quote from: rrhf on September 10, 2021, 11:11:29 AM
Hold the trains, et.. I think that is where it is going. A pure 50/50 game and a big call / moment could make the difference   To the sound, solid long suffering Mayo lads who are on here, we wish you all the best, please don't hate us, but as a wise man once said.... it's time to take Sam to Tyrone...

While I will be broken again if it is another tragic loss for us tomorrow I can never be mad at Tyrone for the way the make Patteen Spillane face even more red when ever you play them in a big match in Croker!! ;D

yellowcard

I can't remember a match being analysed to death as much as this one. Podcasts have been made analysing the match which have lasted longer than the actual match will itself. Pundits trying to second guess tactics, match ups, team selections etc as if it is some sort of exact science. I think we must be getting very near the point where we are reaching the peak of GAA over analysis by the media.