AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: iorras on September 07, 2021, 10:33:32 AM
If its the Connaught Telegraph your talking about then paper never refused ink is all I'll say. If its the UK Telegraph then enough said.
Anyone who thinks this is a "great chance" doesn't know what they are talking about, Mayo are slight favourites with the bookies because thats where the money is going, but only slightly so.
Looking back at the respective semis, Mayo should never have won it, Tyrone had more of a structure and more of a plan. Mayo just ended up in a situation where they landed on the right side of the scoreboard for once.
Tyrone are more experienced, Mayo are half young bucks, potentially missing young player of the year and the highest scoring forward in the history of the GAA.
Tyrone have people in the setup who know how to/what its like to win senior all irelands recently, our collective experience is all about losing them.
I really dont see the case for making Mayo favorites.
Regarding the 70 year comment, the all ireland was won twice in 1996, should have been won again in 1997 but no-one thought to mark Maurice Fitz and at least once between 2012 and 2017. This is not the best chance by any means, being a point up and a man up, with 6 minutes to go in normal time and just after being awarded a scoreable free to go 2 up and waste some more time before someone decided to get themselves sent off was probably another one of the better chances over the past 70 years than this years final.

Love the final paragraph. Nail on the head

imtommygunn

Parts of it I agree with but on the field both teams have no one who has won an all Ireland. Both teams know how to win tight games. Both teams have came out of semi finals where their opponents were deemed to lose the game rather than them win it.

Mayo have Keegan durcan O'Shea McLoughlin who have a lot of experience. Tyrone have Donnelly Harte hampsey McNamee. There are a fair few younger ones in both teams.

It is one of those games I wouldn't be surprised what happens in most cases. Definitely a great one for the neutral to look forward to.

RedHand88

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 07, 2021, 12:02:08 PM
Parts of it I agree with but on the field both teams have no one who has won an all Ireland. Both teams know how to win tight games. Both teams have came out of semi finals where their opponents were deemed to lose the game rather than them win it.

Mayo have Keegan durcan O'Shea McLoughlin who have a lot of experience. Tyrone have Donnelly Harte hampsey McNamee. There are a fair few younger ones in both teams.

It is one of those games I wouldn't be surprised what happens in most cases. Definitely a great one for the neutral to look forward to.

Was thinking about this the other day. Would it be the first time since 2012? Is 2010 the only other time this century?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Parts of it I agree with but on the field both teams have no one who has won an all Ireland...

Indeed, and the only AI winner about the place will be in our dressing room though!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rosnarun

Mayo may have a young team but they play like they were never told how much it sucks to lose and yet  have the experience of playing in a (slightly Odd) all Ireland
which i think is a great mixture .
now is the time to win it as they may never play in another Final . imagine telling Wexford after their 4 in a row that they'd never play another final again.  you just never can Tell
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 07, 2021, 12:35:50 PM
Parts of it I agree with but on the field both teams have no one who has won an all Ireland...

Indeed, and the only AI winner about the place will be in our dressing room though!  ;)

I don't think that matters at all... when the nerves are going in the last ten or fifteen he can't kick it over the bar or slow the game down at critical moments etc. Both teams IMO were nervy in the semis and should have won by more. Probably more Tyrone than Mayo in that regard tbh.

Probably right rh88.

The last ten or fifteen minutes of this, unless it's a hammering session one way or the other which very few think it will be, are going to be nervy.

iorras

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 07, 2021, 12:51:29 PM

I don't think that matters at all... when the nerves are going in the last ten or fifteen he can't kick it over the bar or slow the game down at critical moments etc. Both teams IMO were nervy in the semis and should have won by more. Probably more Tyrone than Mayo in that regard tbh.

Probably right rh88.

The last ten or fifteen minutes of this, unless it's a hammering session one way or the other which very few think it will be, are going to be nervy.
Indeed, if I'm not lucky enough to get a ticket then I'll be behind the couch if its close int he last 10 minutes. funnily enough I'm very bad watching on TV, much less stressed when actually there.
Sound on, annoying commentator says something that pisses me off, sound off, silence for 10 minutes, try radio commentary, match is going well, someone moves where they are sitting, roar at them for moving, opposition score a point, all their fault for moving, go outside, walk around the house, say I'll check it again in 10 minutes, dont last 2, come back in, not going well, f**k this I'm not watching it anymore, go outside again, big roar from inside, run back in, we scored a goal, mighty, I'll watch the rest of it, loose the kickout and they point, f**k it, back out again. And on the madness goes......
So someone just give me a ticket, much better for my mental health, my family and pets collective safety

Farrandeelin

Quote from: iorras on September 07, 2021, 01:38:36 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 07, 2021, 12:51:29 PM

Probably right rh88.

Indeed, if I'm not lucky enough to get a ticket then I'll be behind the couch if its close int he last 10 minutes. funnily enough I'm very bad watching on TV, much less stressed when actually there.
Sound on, annoying commentator says something that pisses me off, sound off, silence for 10 minutes, try radio commentary, match is going well, someone moves where they are sitting, roar at them for moving, opposition score a point, all their fault for moving, go outside, walk around the house, say I'll check it again in 10 minutes, dont last 2, come back in, not going well, f**k this I'm not watching it anymore, go outside again, big roar from inside, run back in, we scored a goal, mighty, I'll watch the rest of it, loose the kickout and they point, f**k it, back out again. And on the madness goes......
So someone just give me a ticket, much better for my mental health, my family and pets collective safety

You sound like my uncle, only he gets his wife to shout the scores out the window at him. :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

APM

It might have already been said, but I think Tyrone have a disadvantage from the 2 week turnaround after the Kerry match.  They will have spent the first week coming down from that high. Mayo on the other hand have more time adjust after coming of the high of beating Dublin.  How much will that really mean?

As a neutral fan, I think it's great that there is only a short build up to the final.  With a 3-4 week build up, you eventually get sick looking at the same meaningless articles as the media rip the bag out of it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: APM on September 07, 2021, 03:33:26 PM
It might have already been said, but I think Tyrone have a disadvantage from the 2 week turnaround after the Kerry match. ...

We had barely a week before the Kerry game, so 2 clear weeks  before the Mayo game is a veritable luxury!  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Keyser soze

I read Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh's autobiography, he was involved in training the Kerry lads based in Dublin in the 70's and 80's and he said that for him the most important element of training in getting players ready for a match was 'freshness' which struck me as the word I would have used when looking at the Kerry Tyrone semi.

PS don't ask me to define freshness but I know exactly what he meant. 

Jayop

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 07, 2021, 12:15:45 PM

Was thinking about this the other day. Would it be the first time since 2012? Is 2010 the only other time this century?

Erm....

2002 and 2003. How would you forget 2003 lol

Jayop

I just caught up with the last 10 pages and I tell ye what it's been a pleasure to read, decent debate, tactical analysis, very little spouting shite about the opposition, no crying about refs. A little bit of nonsense about who's supporters are most confident, like that matters a damn.

Anyway, I have my bunting up here in South Sligo, I might as well be in the heart of Mayo here with all the green and red flags!!

I had a spin down to Galway on Sunday and I have to say the Mayo part of the N17 is well decked out so as always fair play to ye, it's great to see and well replicated up home by all accounts.

Jayop

Quote from: the_daddy on September 07, 2021, 04:20:47 PM
Quote from: Jayop on September 07, 2021, 04:18:46 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 07, 2021, 12:15:45 PM

Erm....

2002 and 2003. How would you forget 2003 lol
Kerry men had medals in 02 and Armagh had them in 03. No-one in the game has.

::) ::) f**k me I'm a dope, of course, I was going by the winners not having any medals.