Mayo v Dublin: AISF21 (Saturday 14th August)

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 01, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo or Dublin?

Mayo
36 (50%)
Dublin
36 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 14, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

iorras

I dont think Dublin were ever considered tough back in the day, filthy yes, but not tough, theres a difference

imtommygunn

They weren't filthy in the noughties. Tbh they weren't that bad in the 90s either. They weren't good in the 70s and 80s mind you. While in a few cases they didn't cover themselves in glory this year I wouldn't say they were filthy either. They have a few boys in Cooper, McCarthy, Small and McMahon who are no angels but at what point is a team filthy? I would have said you require a lot more than that to be considered filthy.

The 2011-2020 team should in no way be considered filthy because they weren't.

whitey

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 24, 2021, 02:17:41 PM
They weren't filthy in the noughties. Tbh they weren't that bad in the 90s either. They weren't good in the 70s and 80s mind you. While in a few cases they didn't cover themselves in glory this year I wouldn't say they were filthy either. They have a few boys in Cooper, McCarthy, Small and McMahon who are no angels but at what point is a team filthy? I would have said you require a lot more than that to be considered filthy.

When they were winning they weren't

But they disgraced themselves last Saturday when the writing was in the wall

TheGreatest

Quote from: whitey on August 24, 2021, 02:19:34 PM

No they didnt. Went down fighting, didnt surrender to what was maybe inevitable

Captain Obvious

Quote from: iorras on August 24, 2021, 02:00:40 PM
I dont think Dublin were ever considered tough back in the day, filthy yes, but not tough, theres a difference
Back in the day the flaky Dubs normally crumbled when they encountered true toughest. Dessie Farrell was part of those flaky Dublin teams and on the evidence of this year as manager he's bringing them back to that unwanted flaky era again.

imtommygunn

They weren't winning that much in the 90s or the noughties. If you took Keith Barr and arguably Tommy Carr out in the 90s they weren't that bad at all. Noughties weren't that bad either.

I think the Mayo game is being over egged a bit. McCarthy lost the rag a bit and Small to be honest goes for big hits so has that in him. The main thing I would wonder about is why McMahon was sent in there and you look at what he was at when he went on but that aside a few boys lost the rag a wee bit and it wasn't that bad. The Small thing was nothing to do with defeat. They weren't beat at that stage.

gallsman

In fairness, I've always maintained Jonny Cooper should be red carded before the game even starts. He commit the fouls soon enough, so might as well get it over and done with.

That said, the incident with O'Connor was a rarity. He gets away with a lot of fouls (until the Clifford one two years ago) bit he's very rarely outright dirty.

whitey

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 24, 2021, 02:35:31 PM

Elbows to the neck, shoulders to the jaw, punches to the face-delightful behaviour entirely

Again I have no problem with them-my problem is with the referee copping out and not issuing the appropriate cards thereby keeping them in the game

TheGreatest

Quote from: whitey on August 24, 2021, 02:52:54 PM

Elbows to the neck, shoulders to the jaw, punches to the face-delightful behavior entirely

Again I have no problem with them-my problem is with the referee copping out and not issuing the appropriate cards thereby keeping them in the game

Elbows and punches, common occurrences between Dublin and Mayo by both sides, tbh I didn't see them, I don't watch the Sunday game as its poison so may have missed them there, didnt see them from the upper Hogan.

The shoulder a legitimate attempt at playing the game, trying to disposes the player while giving him a right clatter. Unfortunate the player got hurt, but going over old ground there.

TheGreatest

You should all bring up the 83 team while your at it :)

The dirty dozen what.....

Lar Naparka

No they didnt. Went down fighting
, didnt surrender to what was maybe inevitable
Best example of unintentional irony I have ever come across. :D :D
Not quite as bad as the closing minutes of the '17 final but close.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

TheGreatest

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 24, 2021, 03:09:04 PM

Well 17 final Dublin were definitely cynical closing out the game. All of us would do the same, Dont say you wouldnt, whatever it takes to get across the line.

whitey

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 24, 2021, 03:12:23 PM

Well 17 final Dublin were definitely cynical closing out the game. All of us would do the same, Dont say you wouldnt, whatever it takes to get across the line.

Would that include eye gouging, biting and head butting?

Again fair enough-but don't start playing the victim when you get called out over it

TheGreatest

Quote from: whitey on August 24, 2021, 03:17:39 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 24, 2021, 03:12:23 PM

Would that include eye gouging, biting and head butting?

Again fair enough-but don't start playing the victim when you get called out over it

Havent seen any of those allegations above, so not sure if they are true.

Not playing the victim at all, i know Dublin dish it out, and to dish it out you must be able to take it too.

whitey

Again-I have no problem with them "dishing it out"

I have a problem with referees bottling the big calls and refusing to issue cards where appropriate

Neutral observers point to (approx) 2 red and 3 black cards that the ref missed against Dublin last Saturday.