Mayo v Dublin: AISF21 (Saturday 14th August)

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 01, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo or Dublin?

Mayo
36 (50%)
Dublin
36 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 14, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 17, 2021, 11:35:12 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 16, 2021, 08:57:48 PM
The media is filled with Paul Caffrey opinions, is it because he's the best person for the media to talk to now that Dublin are back to the flaky team as they were under his management?
Dangerous to think Dublin are back to being a flaky team. Definitely beatable now and hopefully more teams will realise that, but at the end of the day it took everything Mayo had and the rub of the green with Hennelly's 45 and O'Connor's volley to beat the flaky Dubs... Wouldn't like to bet against them winning Sam next year.

They are flaky again. Back to that side taking pop shots, composure gone, losing all discipline in the melting point, team made weaker with each sub they make.

Would say more about the competition and their lack of quality if they allowed that flaky Dublin side retain the All-Ireland title next year.

timmyot501

After the game I did feel that Lane had a disaster all round.  He is just a poor ref.
The Hennelly retake excuse offered by McStay that Philly ran across the kicker seemed ludicrus to me.  The 16 men still on the field is more plausable.  Imagine Hennelly nailed the first one and was then been made retake??

Hickey has a point though with the Comerford over carrying free.  That was a joke.  And the basquel black seemed harsh to me too. 

But to think these decisions cost Dublin the match can be counter-acted by more Lane madness on the day on the other side.  Dublin defo should have had a few black cards in normal time which would have benefited mayo.  Lane just lost control of the whole ocassion.

Fair play to Mayo for sticking at it in the second half.  I had them written off after 20 minutes.  The game was heading into boredom mode at that stage.  Dublin could have finished them when they were on top but decided to play keep ball with a full half remaining.  For that alone I was happy to see the Mayo revival.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 17, 2021, 11:51:33 AM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40360697.html?fbclid=IwAR1JKhEA_3wu6PTL9V3ItouAk5EXhAfteblEpkIlnm2Hp1syts5dkQVdpGY

Bitter as feck..

Which comments specifically show David Hickey to be "bitter as feck"? Have a look at the last couple of paragraphs about Offaly's great win on Sunday.

Irish Examiner

Dublin football great Dr David Hickey expects Mayo to win the All-Ireland title but believes the performance of referee Conor Lane significantly contributed to Dublin's demise on Saturday.

Three-time All-Ireland winner Hickey, who described Mayo as a "tragic outfit" prior to last December's final clash with Dublin, is adamant the officiating worked in the favour of the Connacht champions.

"There were four atrocious decisions that swung the game. Number one, the (Rob Hennelly's) 50 that was missed. It was allowed to be retaken because Mayo had 16 men on the field when it was taken. Dublin were penalised for a Mayo transgression, because (Stephen) Coen didn't come off in time.

"Number two, the black card for (Colm) Basquel. He passed the ball and a Mayo man ran into his back. He's not obliged to step aside. A free that was awarded to Dublin was reversed and Mayo scored at the other end.

"Number three, the overcarrying free given against our goalkeeper (Evan Comerford) was an absolute disgrace. And number four, there is a lot of talk about John Small. The hit on Brian Howard just before half-time that effectively put him out of the game was a cowardly attack from behind. He was finished after that."

As far as tactics go, Hickey cited the decision of James Horan to take off captain Aidan O'Shea in the 49th minute as a key moment.

"I have to congratulate Mayo. The turning point for me was when O'Shea was taken off and I was impressed when that man Horan did that. I don't think O'Shea has ever played well in big games. Hickey predicts Mayo will beat Kerry who he expects will see off Tyrone on Saturday week.

"I think they stuck to their guns last Saturday and they were very impressive in extra-time but Dublin being down a man in extra-time on a wet day is an impossible situation. I don't think they're all that good, to be honest about it, and I think Dublin would beat them if they played again tomorrow.

"But I think they have a good chance of beating Kerry now although their history shows that when they have a big win in an All-Ireland semi-final, they think they are there. They did the same in 2012 when they beat us and they didn't turn up in the final.

"Providing they want it enough, they will win the All-Ireland. They're moving well at the moment and I think they're a better footballing team than Kerry are. I think your man (Pádraig) O'Hora is more than capable of taking care of (David) Clifford."

The Raheny man anticipates Dublin will return strong next year with so many having experienced championship defeat for the first time. He doesn't like how they are now being dismissed now that they have finally been defeated and perceived as a dirty team.

"This is not an epitaph. They lost three championship games out of 60-odd (championship) games. No other team in any other sports, the Los Angeles Lakers, the New York Yankees, Manchester United, goes 60 games without a defeat.

"I think this Dublin team will regroup. They have had 10 years without a break. They have been involved in almost every game that has mattered. They have won 95% of their games so I don't think they have much to worry about.

"Every winning streak comes to an end. In that position, you probably do believe a bit of the propaganda that says you're unbeatable but these are a great bunch of fellas, I'm very proud of them as a former Dublin footballer and it's very clear that they are the greatest team to have ever played football.

"They have done it in style. Everyone is now looking to demonise their reputation but to me they're an impeccable group of young fellas who have done wonderful social work around the city and are always available to publicise stuff. They're an exemplary bunch of lads."

Asked if he envisages Stephen Cluxton returning to the panel and Hickey's response is firmly in the negative.

"I think the fella who should come back is Paul Mannion. Paul is too good to be out of it. I don't know what Jack (McCaffrey) is at but his career is important to him and he's at the high end of medicine so it probably doesn't lend itself (to football). But Paul Mannion should be coaxed back."

The performance of the weekend for Hickey was Offaly's U20 All-Ireland final victory against Roscommon.

"The best team I have seen play football this year is the Offaly U20s. They are a breath of fresh air in football. I was so happy.

"They wiped the floor with Dublin, they wiped the floor with Cork, and they beat a very good Roscommon team. That Cork team was very good — their game against Kerry was great.

"They're playing beautiful football and I hope they don't split up now because of economic reasons or whatever. I hope most of them can stay together, progress at senior level, and in a couple of years or so be a real challenge to Dublin."

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Armagh18

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 17, 2021, 12:33:11 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40360697.html?fbclid=IwAR1JKhEA_3wu6PTL9V3ItouAk5EXhAfteblEpkIlnm2Hp1syts5dkQVdpGY

Bitter as feck..

Which comments specifically show David Hickey to be "bitter as feck"? Have a look at the last couple of paragraphs about Offaly's great win on Sunday.

Irish Examiner

Dublin football great Dr David Hickey expects Mayo to win the All-Ireland title but believes the performance of referee Conor Lane significantly contributed to Dublin's demise on Saturday.

Three-time All-Ireland winner Hickey, who described Mayo as a "tragic outfit" prior to last December's final clash with Dublin, is adamant the officiating worked in the favour of the Connacht champions.

"There were four atrocious decisions that swung the game. Number one, the (Rob Hennelly's) 50 that was missed. It was allowed to be retaken because Mayo had 16 men on the field when it was taken. Dublin were penalised for a Mayo transgression, because (Stephen) Coen didn't come off in time.

"Number two, the black card for (Colm) Basquel. He passed the ball and a Mayo man ran into his back. He's not obliged to step aside. A free that was awarded to Dublin was reversed and Mayo scored at the other end.

"Number three, the overcarrying free given against our goalkeeper (Evan Comerford) was an absolute disgrace. And number four, there is a lot of talk about John Small. The hit on Brian Howard just before half-time that effectively put him out of the game was a cowardly attack from behind. He was finished after that."

As far as tactics go, Hickey cited the decision of James Horan to take off captain Aidan O'Shea in the 49th minute as a key moment.

"I have to congratulate Mayo. The turning point for me was when O'Shea was taken off and I was impressed when that man Horan did that. I don't think O'Shea has ever played well in big games. Hickey predicts Mayo will beat Kerry who he expects will see off Tyrone on Saturday week.

"I think they stuck to their guns last Saturday and they were very impressive in extra-time but Dublin being down a man in extra-time on a wet day is an impossible situation. I don't think they're all that good, to be honest about it, and I think Dublin would beat them if they played again tomorrow.

"But I think they have a good chance of beating Kerry now although their history shows that when they have a big win in an All-Ireland semi-final, they think they are there. They did the same in 2012 when they beat us and they didn't turn up in the final.

"Providing they want it enough, they will win the All-Ireland. They're moving well at the moment and I think they're a better footballing team than Kerry are. I think your man (Pádraig) O'Hora is more than capable of taking care of (David) Clifford."

The Raheny man anticipates Dublin will return strong next year with so many having experienced championship defeat for the first time. He doesn't like how they are now being dismissed now that they have finally been defeated and perceived as a dirty team.

"This is not an epitaph. They lost three championship games out of 60-odd (championship) games. No other team in any other sports, the Los Angeles Lakers, the New York Yankees, Manchester United, goes 60 games without a defeat.

"I think this Dublin team will regroup. They have had 10 years without a break. They have been involved in almost every game that has mattered. They have won 95% of their games so I don't think they have much to worry about.

"Every winning streak comes to an end. In that position, you probably do believe a bit of the propaganda that says you're unbeatable but these are a great bunch of fellas, I'm very proud of them as a former Dublin footballer and it's very clear that they are the greatest team to have ever played football.

"They have done it in style. Everyone is now looking to demonise their reputation but to me they're an impeccable group of young fellas who have done wonderful social work around the city and are always available to publicise stuff. They're an exemplary bunch of lads."

Asked if he envisages Stephen Cluxton returning to the panel and Hickey's response is firmly in the negative.

"I think the fella who should come back is Paul Mannion. Paul is too good to be out of it. I don't know what Jack (McCaffrey) is at but his career is important to him and he's at the high end of medicine so it probably doesn't lend itself (to football). But Paul Mannion should be coaxed back."

The performance of the weekend for Hickey was Offaly's U20 All-Ireland final victory against Roscommon.

"The best team I have seen play football this year is the Offaly U20s. They are a breath of fresh air in football. I was so happy.

"They wiped the floor with Dublin, they wiped the floor with Cork, and they beat a very good Roscommon team. That Cork team was very good — their game against Kerry was great.

"They're playing beautiful football and I hope they don't split up now because of economic reasons or whatever. I hope most of them can stay together, progress at senior level, and in a couple of years or so be a real challenge to Dublin."
Crying about 4 refereeing decisions that cost them the game while ignoring the calls that did go in their favour, Dublin could have been a few more men down.... Also " I don't think they're all that good, to be honest about it, and I think Dublin would beat them if they played again tomorrow."

That is bitter as feck...

RedHand88

It was very much a Father Ted Golden Cleric sort of speech.

seafoid

https://youtu.be/F8NDnRke_dY
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trueblue1234

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 17, 2021, 01:00:29 PM

Bitter as feck..

Irish Examiner

Crying about 4 refereeing decisions that cost them the game while ignoring the calls that did go in their favour, Dublin could have been a few more men down.... Also " I don't think they're all that good, to be honest about it, and I think Dublin would beat them if they played again tomorrow."

The bit about taking O'Shea off smacks of a dig as well. Poor form but to be fair they aren't used to losing. I wouldn't pass too much remarks on it.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Armagh18

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 17, 2021, 01:17:08 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on August 17, 2021, 01:00:29 PM

Bitter as feck..

Irish Examiner

The bit about taking O'Shea off smacks of a dig as well. Poor form but to be fair they aren't used to losing. I wouldn't pass too much remarks on it.
Agreed. Although taking O'Shea off was the right call and was shown to be, obviously.

TheGreatest

Decisions go for you and against you in big games, Dublin have got their fair share of calls over the years, some for , some against.

Il only begrudge decision, the Hennelly point, but its all buts, if he scored first time, would Lane had made him take it again? However Mayo the better team after half time,  still think Dublin threw it away and could have easily won it, should of won the game.

FearAnFhírinne

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 17, 2021, 02:42:46 PM
Decisions go for you and against you in big games, Dublin have got their fair share of calls over the years, some for , some against.

Il only begrudge decision, the Hennelly point, but its all buts, if he scored first time, would Lane had made him take it again? However Mayo the better team after half time,  still think Dublin threw it away and could have easily won it, should of won the game.

What I've heard, and it makes sense if you look back because Deegan is still standing about 4 yards away from him on the 45 and on the pitch when he takes the kick, and you can see Deegan pointing when Robbie is about to make contact. That's interference from an official, really.

EDIT - bit I omitted from the above was that as he was running up Deegan was telling him not to take it.
If you look back at the first take on Youtube, you'll see what I mean.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: FearAnFhírinne on August 17, 2021, 03:38:38 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 17, 2021, 02:42:46 PM

What I've heard, and it makes sense if you look back because Deegan is still standing about 4 yards away from him on the 45 and on the pitch when he takes the kick, and you can see Deegan pointing when Robbie is about to make contact. That's interference from an official, really.

EDIT - bit I omitted from the above was that as he was running up Deegan was telling him not to take it.
If you look back at the first take on Youtube, you'll see what I mean.

As far as I'm concerned it's not even a debate. It's clear on video that the referee runs up to tell him to stop before he makes contact with the ball. It had to be retaken.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

imtommygunn

Imagine he scored the first one and missed the retake.

Is there any chance of O'Shea getting banned from the final for going on the pitch during that schemuzzle?

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 17, 2021, 07:27:04 PM

Is there any chance of O'Shea getting banned from the final for going on the pitch during that schemuzzle?

Probably not but he absolutely should be.

FearAnFhírinne

Quote from: gallsman on August 17, 2021, 07:28:16 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 17, 2021, 07:27:04 PM

Probably not but he absolutely should be.

Probably not as the Ref had actually blown up the game before he came on.

Wildweasel74

Game was up, subs can be on the field unless runs have changed