Mayo v Dublin: AISF21 (Saturday 14th August)

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 01, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo or Dublin?

Mayo
36 (50%)
Dublin
36 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 14, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Lar Naparka

I live in Dublin; in Donnycarney, as true blue as you'll find.
It is a long tradition that Donnycarney fans march together to Croke Park on AI day.
Okay so far...?

My nephew and his young son were waiting at the church bus stop to get down to Fairview. The young lad was wearing the Mayo colours, flag, hat, scarf etc. The Dubs started teasing him but when his father told them he was from Birmingham and really hadn't a clue about Gaelic football, they decided to 'adopt' him.
So the procession started again.... with the lad out in front waving his flag and the crowd, marching behind, singing Dublin songs and teasing him and him dizzy with excitement.
They led the pair up to the stile they needed to enter the stand. One accompanied them and directed them to their seats.
The lad's pockets were a good bit heavier also.
I never had a minute's bother either with my Mayo flag hanging outside and everyone local knows I support my native county. Mind you, the arguments could be fierce-- but only in the local pub after a game!  ;D
Genuine Dub supporters are as good as you'll find anywhere.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Genuine GAA supporters are grand.
It's the bandwagon/big day types can be arseholes.

On that subject a sour grapes comnent....a certain Midland County seem to have gained 14,500 new supporters recently while there was only 1 spectator at the u20 Final ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

WhoDat

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 17, 2021, 10:24:43 AM
Quote from: Armamike on August 17, 2021, 10:13:15 AM
Great champions know how to win and lose.  Dublin didn't cover themselves in much glory on Saturday.

Yeah they did, they fought until the very end, gave it everything, wasn't good enough as Mayo were better.

i didn't see much fighting for anything out there from the dubs (apart from dirty, sneaky hits on opponents). fenton gave it a go, but apart from him, they were complacent all over the pitch and outright lazy at times.

thewobbler

Quote from: WhoDat on August 17, 2021, 11:09:42 AM
Great champions know how to win and lose.  Dublin didn't cover themselves in much glory on Saturday.

Yeah they did, they fought until the very end, gave it everything, wasn't good enough as Mayo were better.

i didn't see much fighting for anything out there from the dubs (apart from dirty, sneaky hits on opponents). fenton gave it a go, but apart from him, they were complacent all over the pitch and outright lazy at times.

Lol. You do realise that they took an AI semi final to extra time?

Lazy my hole.

Mayo's bench was better than Dublin's on the day. Added legs to an already fit team. That's all that happened.

The Hill is Blue

I've just read David Hickey's comments in the Irish Examiner: "There were four atrocious decisions that swung the game".  All four points were valid and are ones with which I agree. You'd need to be pretty thin-skinned to get heated up about them.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40360697.html
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

TheGreatest

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 17, 2021, 10:29:51 AM
I live in Dublin; in Donnycarney, as true blue as you'll find.
It is a long tradition that Donnycarney fans march together to Croke Park on AI day.
Okay so far...?

My nephew and his young son were waiting at the church bus stop to get down to Fairview. The young lad was wearing the Mayo colours, flag, hat, scarf etc. The Dubs started teasing him but when his father told them he was from Birmingham and really hadn't a clue about Gaelic football, they decided to 'adopt' him.
So the procession started again.... with the lad out in front waving his flag and the crowd, marching behind, singing Dublin songs and teasing him and him dizzy with excitement.
They led the pair up to the stile they needed to enter the stand. One accompanied them and directed them to their seats.
The lad's pockets were a good bit heavier also.
I never had a minute's bother either with my Mayo flag hanging outside and everyone local knows I support my native county. Mind you, the arguments could be fierce-- but only in the local pub after a game!  ;D
Genuine Dub supporters are as good as you'll find anywhere.

Could be neighbors

Captain Obvious

Yes they did, they fought until the very end, gave it everything, wasn't good enough as Mayo were better.

Four points in the last 55 minutes was giving it everything?

Armagh18

Quote from: FearAnFhírinne on August 16, 2021, 05:29:21 PM
As a Mayo man, have to say I'm delighted with that result. Horan made the right calls, and brought on the right replacements.
Make no mistake - we were not playing to our full potential for the first 40 minutes of that match. It started gradually in the second half but we were 5 points down with 8 minutes of Normal time remaining, and Diarmuid runs past 4 Dubs to keep that ball in play which McLoughlin slots over.

On the McLaughlin incident - in real time it looked dodgy enough to me on the Telly and the replays confirmed it. I've no idea what Small's real intentions were, but he should have been off from that point.
I don't expect he intended to break Eoghan's jaw but regardless it was late and it was high, and if you're out by a fraction of a second and you catch the man other than on the shoulder, you're in the wrong.
Worse than all that is how play was allowed to continue when there was a player clearly injured on the ground. I know the refs have a tough enough job but that was incompetence of the highest level. It really is time for TMO or if the GAA is worried about slowing down games, then get more officials. A Second ref should be there as when you break it down - you've a lad probably in his forties or fifties running continually after 28 lads half his age (30 if its an Ulster Final) and expecting him to see everything on a pitch that's over 12,500 square meters, as well as having to apply additional and sometimes subjective rules every year, such as Forward marks, changes to black card rules etc. It's no wonder there is little consistency on how games are officiated.
Very good ;D ;D

Armagh18

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 16, 2021, 08:57:48 PM
The media is filled with Paul Caffrey opinions, is it because he's the best person for the media to talk to now that Dublin are back to the flaky team as they were under his management?
Dangerous to think Dublin are back to being a flaky team. Definitely beatable now and hopefully more teams will realise that, but at the end of the day it took everything Mayo had and the rub of the green with Hennelly's 45 and O'Connor's volley to beat the flaky Dubs... Wouldn't like to bet against them winning Sam next year. 

mup

This is it in a nutshell. We've heard over the past several years how humble Dublin are. That didn't show last Saturday.

Armagh18

Quote from: mup on August 17, 2021, 11:43:36 AM

This is it in a nutshell. We've heard over the past several years how humble Dublin are. That didn't show last Saturday.
Easy to be humble when you're winning. McCarthy's black card in particular was just petulant and stupid, there was half a possibility of nicking a goal and he gives away a cheap and needless free out. Would have expected more from him.

thewobbler

It seems that the number of people on this thread who watched this game with a sole pursuit of finding evidence to match their personal agendas, is off the scale.

whitey

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 17, 2021, 11:19:23 AM

I've just read David Hickey's comments in the Irish Examiner: "There were four atrocious decisions that swung the game".  All four points were valid and are ones with which I agree. You'd need to be pretty thin-skinned to get heated up about them.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40360697.html

He must have a magic TV that only shows one side of a game

I could match his 4 "atrocious decisions" with 14 atrocious decisions that went against Mayo

WhoDat

Quote from: thewobbler on August 17, 2021, 11:13:29 AM
Quote from: WhoDat on August 17, 2021, 11:09:42 AM

Lol. You do realise that they took an AI semi final to extra time?

Lazy my hole.

Mayo's bench was better than Dublin's on the day. Added legs to an already fit team. That's all that happened.

dublin didn't take it to extra time, mayo did. they were the team who were behind and had to make up a deficit. dublin scored 2 points in the second half and tried to play keep ball for about 40 minutes. is that fighting for a win?
they didn't fight for anything, the fight was coming all from the other side who clawed it back, while the dubs started throwing slaps to make up for what they were lacking.