Mayo v Dublin: AISF21 (Saturday 14th August)

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 01, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo or Dublin?

Mayo
36 (50%)
Dublin
36 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 14, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

thewobbler

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 16, 2021, 02:30:14 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 16, 2021, 01:59:35 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 16, 2021, 07:29:13 AM
Agree with a few sentiments here. Definitely a red card but highly unlikely small went to do what he did. Small goes for big hits and takes chances with them. Remember his photo of the hit on keaney in the club? Red card all day long and definitely a bit on the wreckless side but highly unlikely he meant it.
Rugby has outlawed these types of challenges and they put the onus squarely on the player to tackle safely. In other words if there is a risk that you mistime a tackle then you have to accept the consequences if it is wrong. No room for lack of intent. Conor Lane was poor for both teams throughout, but it has to be said in this day and age with 4 umpires, 2 linesmen and a fourth official that is not acceptable. Lane was close by as was Deegan and play should have been halted.There was so much being said rightly around the Tyrone Covid out break regarding player safety, yet we can not make the game safe on the field. I do not think for one minute that Small intended to injure McLaughlin but he did not have to consider the outcome of his actions and that is a failure of the rule makers.The modern player in both hurling and football as with rugby is so strong and well conditioned in general they can dish out these hits, but at a basic level the human body is not built to take high impact collisions.

By rights the standing rules committee should bring in specific rules on player safety and having a duty of care to your opponent.

As a thought experiment - would the game of football be massively damaged if the shoulder charge was made completely illegal?
Is it worth having the rule in the game when you have outcomes like McLaughlin suffered?
Even in terms of coaching I think coaches would nearly be better off instructing players not to attempt a shoulder, given that such a high number of them end up in fouls against and yellow cards.
Personally I think that if you made the shoulder completely illegal, in about a year or two no-one would notice.

I think we should also ban all other forms of tackling too, as that should give us 100% success in eradicating injuries. In fact we should just have a free taking contest.

People need to catch themselves the f**k on. It was a freak accident.

Keyser soze

Quote from: thewobbler on August 16, 2021, 02:37:59 PM
Agree with a few sentiments here. Definitely a red card but highly unlikely small went to do what he did. Small goes for big hits and takes chances with them. Remember his photo of the hit on keaney in the club? Red card all day long and definitely a bit on the wreckless side but highly unlikely he meant it.
Rugby has outlawed these types of challenges and they put the onus squarely on the player to tackle safely. In other words if there is a risk that you mistime a tackle then you have to accept the consequences if it is wrong. No room for lack of intent. Conor Lane was poor for both teams throughout, but it has to be said in this day and age with 4 umpires, 2 linesmen and a fourth official that is not acceptable. Lane was close by as was Deegan and play should have been halted.There was so much being said rightly around the Tyrone Covid out break regarding player safety, yet we can not make the game safe on the field. I do not think for one minute that Small intended to injure McLaughlin but he did not have to consider the outcome of his actions and that is a failure of the rule makers.The modern player in both hurling and football as with rugby is so strong and well conditioned in general they can dish out these hits, but at a basic level the human body is not built to take high impact collisions.

By rights the standing rules committee should bring in specific rules on player safety and having a duty of care to your opponent.

As a thought experiment - would the game of football be massively damaged if the shoulder charge was made completely illegal?
Is it worth having the rule in the game when you have outcomes like McLaughlin suffered?
Even in terms of coaching I think coaches would nearly be better off instructing players not to attempt a shoulder, given that such a high number of them end up in fouls against and yellow cards.
Personally I think that if you made the shoulder completely illegal, in about a year or two no-one would notice.

I think we should also ban all other forms of tackling too, as that should give us 100% success in eradicating injuries. In fact we should just have a free taking contest.

Also running fast and turning on a wet day....mucho dangerous.

Wildweasel74

Someone need bring out the rule book on a shoulder tackle, I thought it was changed yrs ago to side to side hit. Small to me went to hit him as hard as he could, foul means or fair. It's no witch hunt on Small, he done was he intended to do, hit him as hard as possible. I thought was red in real time, and only seen the real damage on the slow mo. Which showed him get him straight on, although the Mayo guy has turned slightly into it. The damage to the face possible done more by the high elbow which seemed to follow through. Ref had a nightmare, if he said this one happened to fast to even deem it a free, the fist to the face by his brother late on, the ref had no excuse not to red card, he not f**king blind. In short Dublin were pure dirt.

johnnycool

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 16, 2021, 11:55:35 AM
If there is a witch hunt here for some players.

Also Aiden O Shea should receive a 8 weeks suspension for entering the pitch of play. If you recall this similar incident:

https://www.the42.ie/darren-hughes-monaghan-ban-4690277-Jun2019/

If this is the game we are playing now looking for bans then, Personally, I don't think he should miss the final, but those are the rules what...

Probably do Mayo a favour if O'Shea got a ban. The game is all about pace and his best days are behind him.

twohands!!!

QuoteProvided that he has at least one foot on the ground, a player may make a shoulder to shoulder charge on an opponent-
(a) who is in possession of the ball, or
(b) who is playing the ball, or
(c) when both players are moving in the direction of the ball to play it.

Current rule in the rule book.

Armamike

What's O'Shea like coming off the bench?  And i don't mean the boxing  :D
That's just, like your opinion man.

Applesisapples

Quote from: thewobbler on August 16, 2021, 02:37:59 PM

It was by no means a freak accident, if you allow a player running at speed to shoulder another with out regard to his safety then that is reckless as is your attitude.

FearAnFhírinne

As a Mayo man, have to say I'm delighted with that result. Horan made the right calls, and brought on the right replacements.
Make no mistake - we were not playing to our full potential for the first 40 minutes of that match. It started gradually in the second half but we were 5 points down with 8 minutes of Normal time remaining, and Diarmuid runs past 4 Dubs to keep that ball in play which McLoughlin slots over.

On the McLaughlin incident - in real time it looked dodgy enough to me on the Telly and the replays confirmed it. I've no idea what Small's real intentions were, but he should have been off from that point.
I don't expect he intended to break Eoghan's jaw but regardless it was late and it was high, and if you're out by a fraction of a second and you catch the man other than on the shoulder, you're in the wrong.
Worse than all that is how play was allowed to continue when there was a player clearly injured on the ground. I know the refs have a tough enough job but that was incompetence of the highest level. It really is time for TMO or if the GAA is worried about slowing down games, then get more officials. A Second ref should be there as when you break it down - you've a lad probably in his forties or fifties running continually after 28 lads half his age (30 if its an Ulster Final) and expecting him to see everything on a pitch that's over 12,500 square meters, as well as having to apply additional and sometimes subjective rules every year, such as Forward marks, changes to black card rules etc. It's no wonder there is little consistency on how games are officiated.

highorlow

For all the lads on here saying they are sure Small didn't intend to the hurt the lad, Small isn't (or hasn't so far) exactly done a Son Heung-min on it.

But shur expect nothing different from Dublin anyhow, i doubt Rock ever apologised to John Finn.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

tonto1888

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 16, 2021, 01:41:29 PM
Quote from: StPatsAbu on August 15, 2021, 09:50:26 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 15, 2021, 09:09:01 PM
Quote from: clarshack on August 15, 2021, 07:12:29 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 15, 2021, 06:10:01 PM
Wonder if the gaa will take action against small. Actually I know the answer will be no but the ref missed a red card offence resulting in a player with a broken jaw.

That Dublin team has been getting away with cynical play for years. Bad enough about the funding, home venue every game etc but to add in favouritism from the ref no wonder they went unbeaten for years. Christ it took some serious fouling for the ref to give out a few cards when the game was almost over.

Last night reminded me of the Dubs in the bad old days of the Pillar era when the likes of Whelo would just bust some man straight from the the throw-in and get away with it.

Last time Dublin lost regularly. So was it always there?

Dubs lost their cool, then the plot, then the game

Apparently Kilkenny lost his shit in the dressing room. Called Dessie Farrell an imposter and fanny-pad and told him to fcuk off back to milking a living from the GPA. Gravy train heading south.

Certainly there are rumblings of discontent with Farrell across the board but I would wonder how you heard that.

in his imagination I would imagine

hoynevalley

Quote from: highorlow on August 16, 2021, 05:36:25 PM
For all the lads on here saying they are sure Small didn't intend to the hurt the lad, Small isn't (or hasn't so far) exactly done a Son Heung-min on it.

But shur expect nothing different from Dublin anyhow, i doubt Rock ever apologised to John Finn.

Yerra should the Mayo lads are all angels.  How many jaws/noses have the O'Connors broken? Brendan Harrison spear tackle a lad years and yet his man got the line. Colm Boyle got Damien Comer with a dirty  shoulder on Comer and McNulty from Tyrone got broken jaw. Tom Cunnifee breaking Peter Harte collarbone in 2013. Larry Finnerty wee lad and Walsh taken out against Galway. OShea scrapping on pitch and in tunnels punching lads in back of head. Poor mayo

hoynevalley

Quote from: johnnycool on August 16, 2021, 03:08:42 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 16, 2021, 11:55:35 AM
If there is a witch hunt here for some players.

Also Aiden O Shea should receive a 8 weeks suspension for entering the pitch of play. If you recall this similar incident:

https://www.the42.ie/darren-hughes-monaghan-ban-4690277-Jun2019/

If this is the game we are playing now looking for bans then, Personally, I don't think he should miss the final, but those are the rules what...

Probably do Mayo a favour if O'Shea got a ban. The game is all about pace and his best days are behind him.

Agree would be in Kerry favour for O'Shea to play. Nothing will be done as Mayo lads have a free reign for this craic.

highorlow

QuoteYerra should the Mayo lads are all angels.  How many jaws/noses have the O'Connors broken? Brendan Harrison spear tackle a lad years and yet his man got the line. Colm Boyle got Damien Comer with a dirty  shoulder on Comer and McNulty from Tyrone got broken jaw. Tom Cunnifee breaking Peter Harte collarbone in 2013. Larry Finnerty wee lad and Walsh taken out against Galway. OShea scrapping on pitch and in tunnels punching lads in bad of head. Poor mayo

Tom Cuniffes one was within the rules, ditto Boyle, I don't recall mcnulty broken jaw. The rest of your list is clutching at straws. The Dublin jaw breaker on our lad went unpunished during the match and lads appear to be defending small. Many's the time our lads (fully agree we are no angels), get sent off for foul play, that's fair enough, we take our medicine.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

hoynevalley

Quote from: highorlow on August 16, 2021, 06:51:39 PM
QuoteYerra should the Mayo lads are all angels.  How many jaws/noses have the O'Connors broken? Brendan Harrison spear tackle a lad years and yet his man got the line. Colm Boyle got Damien Comer with a dirty  shoulder on Comer and McNulty from Tyrone got broken jaw. Tom Cunnifee breaking Peter Harte collarbone in 2013. Larry Finnerty wee lad and Walsh taken out against Galway. OShea scrapping on pitch and in tunnels punching lads in bad of head. Poor mayo

Tom Cuniffes one was within the rules, ditto Boyle, I don't recall mcnulty broken jaw. The rest of your list is clutching at straws. The Dublin jaw breaker on our lad went unpunished during the match and lads appear to be defending small. Many's the time our lads (fully agree we are no angels), get sent off for foul play, that's fair enough, we take our medicine.

Agree Small should got the line.  Boyle tackle against Tyrone definitely not in rules. Tyrone lad done exact in same and he got the line. It was Hugh Pat McGeary got jaw broken. McNulty got line for similar challenge on Lee Keegan

dec

In Rugby they now crack down very hard on any contact above the shoulder, football should do the same.

If you make contact with the head or neck of an opponent you should be sent off.