Mayo v Dublin: AISF21 (Saturday 14th August)

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 01, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo or Dublin?

Mayo
36 (50%)
Dublin
36 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 14, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

StPatsAbu

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 15, 2021, 10:36:05 PM
Has John small not been sent off more times than anyone else in all Ireland finals? Not new for him to not be the cleanest.

Every winning team in Gaelic has players who has no angels in them. McCarthy and small in particular for Dublin, Tomas O'Se, Peter Crowley for Kerry, McGee in particular for Donegal, Tyrone had a few, Armagh had a few etc. Not specific to Dublin. Mayo have one or two as well lol. I wouldn't say a couple of boys being dirty hallions ruins their reputation. Pretty much every successful Gaa team in history has a few.

Tyrone players like Ricey, Gormley and Jordan gave a bit of verbals but no out and out thugs on the team like Whelan and Small.

gallsman

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 16, 2021, 09:58:01 AM

I will add, and i know this will not go down well, The Small hit, a great hit, dont care what anyone says and wont change my mind, one of the best hits ever, pity about the goal chance after it.....  A pity the about the injury too, unfortunate, GAA going soft, people going soft. ..

This kind of attitude is a problem in the GAA. You are not allowed shoulder people in the jaw. End of discussion. It was a disgraceful hit

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: StPatsAbu on August 16, 2021, 10:24:43 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 15, 2021, 10:36:05 PM
Has John small not been sent off more times than anyone else in all Ireland finals? Not new for him to not be the cleanest.

Every winning team in Gaelic has players who has no angels in them. McCarthy and small in particular for Dublin, Tomas O'Se, Peter Crowley for Kerry, McGee in particular for Donegal, Tyrone had a few, Armagh had a few etc. Not specific to Dublin. Mayo have one or two as well lol. I wouldn't say a couple of boys being dirty hallions ruins their reputation. Pretty much every successful Gaa team in history has a few.

Tyrone players like Ricey, Gormley and Jordan gave a bit of verbals but no out and out thugs on the team like Whelan and Small.

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFCW1QeUcY
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

TheGreatest

Quote from: gallsman on August 16, 2021, 10:30:13 AM

I will add, and i know this will not go down well, The Small hit, a great hit, dont care what anyone says and wont change my mind, one of the best hits ever, pity about the goal chance after it.....  A pity the about the injury too, unfortunate, GAA going soft, people going soft. ..

This kind of attitude is a problem in the GAA. You are not allowed shoulder people in the jaw. End of discussion. It was a disgraceful hit

No its not. Small he wanted to dispossess the player, lined it up perfectly, unfortunate about the last second contact. If it happened in a Kerry Tyrone or Leitrim Sligo  match I wouldn't be logging in here looking for blood, but because its Dublin, because its Small, because people love putting the boot in.

One of my club players went viral due to be on the receiving end of a monster monster hit, quite similar, but we were not looking for blood after it because who the team or player was.

O Se called Dublin defenders and defending savages, or bunch of savages, hes right. Tough hard defending, that threads the line and pops over the line from time to time. It has been a key component of our success, wouldn't have it any other way.

Whishtup

Not a fan of the 'hit' in football or hurling on someone whose body is in any way 'open'.  But it's nearly expected at this stage . The difference of a couple of inches makes it look bad but I'm sure there was no intent to strike the head.

gallsman

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 16, 2021, 10:44:08 AM

Can it be called disgraceful if he didn't mean it but just fucked up the angle?
I mean if you're arguing that it isn't thuggery, how can it be disgraceful?

Because it was reckless. Intent is irrelevant. Outcome and consequence matter. Small is responsible for a fellow footballer having a double jaw fracture and missing an all-Ireland final.

Again, it can't be called thuggery, and shouldn't be, as I don't for a second think he lined up McLaughlin looking to do him serious injury.

If you can't see the difference between those two things, you're part of the problem.

gallsman

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 16, 2021, 10:41:31 AM

No its not. Small he wanted to dispossess the player, lined it up perfectly, unfortunate about the last second contact. If it happened in a Kerry Tyrone or Leitrim Sligo  match I wouldn't be logging in here looking for blood, but because its Dublin, because its Small, because people love putting the boot in.

One of my club players went viral due to be on the receiving end of a monster monster hit, quite similar, but we were not looking for blood after it because who the team or player was.

O Se called Dublin defenders and defending savages, or bunch of savages, hes right. Tough hard defending, that threads the line and pops over the line from time to time. It has been a key component of our success, wouldn't have it any other way.

He didn't line it up perfectly in the slightest. He fucked it up completely. Besides, your original post mentioned no error on Small's part. You described it as a "great hit" and "one of the best hits ever" so you've already started your backtracking to be honest

Nobody is disputing that he's allowed to line him up and plant him, but he is responsible for his actions, and actions have consequences.

Nobody is out looking for blood, people simply would like to see the rules of the game enforced. There is no scenario where Small's hit shouldn't have been a straight red card. With due respect to your clubman, the hit he took wasn't in an All Ireland semi final watched live by hundreds of thousands of people and covered by the national press, so your, I guess comparison, is pretty pointless.

dublin7

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 16, 2021, 06:56:17 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 16, 2021, 01:33:54 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 15, 2021, 10:29:43 PM
Sunday game showing a few more strikes by the small brothers. Absolute tramps, closed fist off the ball strikes.

Which Tyrone "tr**p" broke Paddy Andrews' jaw? The sanctimonious bull**it from Tyrone supporters is sickening. Come on Kerry.
Morgan tackle just missed his shoulder. Small was a full frontal challenge. Bit of a difference. If you called out Morgan for it then you should have no issue calling out small.

Just missed his shoulder. Classic!! John Small should receive the same suspension Morgan got after his cheap shot. Unfortunately for John the rest of the country (especially Mayo fans) are demanding retribution so while Morgan got away scott free he'll get a suspension. A one game ban similar to the suspension given to Diarmuid O'Connor for his elbow to the galway player is only right in this instance

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-s-paddy-andrews-out-for-at-least-six-weeks-with-broken-jaw-1.3831776

trueblue1234

Quote from: dublin7 on August 16, 2021, 11:16:04 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 16, 2021, 06:56:17 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 16, 2021, 01:33:54 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 15, 2021, 10:29:43 PM
Sunday game showing a few more strikes by the small brothers. Absolute tramps, closed fist off the ball strikes.

Which Tyrone "tr**p" broke Paddy Andrews' jaw? The sanctimonious bull**it from Tyrone supporters is sickening. Come on Kerry.
Morgan tackle just missed his shoulder. Small was a full frontal challenge. Bit of a difference. If you called out Morgan for it then you should have no issue calling out small.

Just missed his shoulder. Classic!! John Small should receive the same suspension Morgan got after his cheap shot. Unfortunately for John the rest of the country (especially Mayo fans) are demanding retribution so while Morgan got away scott free he'll get a suspension. A one game ban similar to the suspension given to Diarmuid O'Connor for his elbow to the galway player is only right in this instance

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-s-paddy-andrews-out-for-at-least-six-weeks-with-broken-jaw-1.3831776
Morgan came in from the side, badly timed and could have had no complaints if he had been given a card.
But it's not on the same level as that tackle by small which was frontal In my opinion. That said, While I think it was badly timed and reckless it happens regularly. It's the injuries and stage of the competition that has given this more media attention.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

whitey

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 16, 2021, 11:21:12 AM
Quote from: gallsman on August 16, 2021, 11:10:05 AM

Because it was reckless. Intent is irrelevant. Outcome and consequence matter. Small is responsible for a fellow footballer having a double jaw fracture and missing an all-Ireland final.

Again, it can't be called thuggery, and shouldn't be, as I don't for a second think he lined up McLaughlin looking to do him serious injury.

If you can't see the difference between those two things, you're part of the problem.
You are saying that he tried to challenge him fairly but a slight error in the execution caused a bad injury. If he didn't mean it, it's harsh to call it disgraceful.

Small was directly in front of him as he lined him up

That chances of executing a clean and fair shoulder to shoulder challenge  were borderline impossible given the angles

Whether he meant it or not is immaterial. He took it and missed it and it's a straight red all day long

iorras

I can see why Lane missed it, I thought it was a good hit on live viewing during the match, there is no VAR/TMO so we cant check except with his linesman so he cant guess if he should give a card or not for something that seemed to look ok to him at the time, but he ABSOLUTLEY should have blown his whistle when he saw the aftermath of the hit. Himself and Deegan the king clown himself can have no excuses for that.

Most Dubs fans appear to be premiership fans first and foremost and inhabit that world of  "my team always right, your team always wrong" the predicates that cesspit. So the one eyedness doesn't surprise me. Small f*cked up what he was trying to do with devastating consequences for Eoghan McLoughlin, up to the GAA to decide if he should be sanctioned for that or not but the referee has to stop play to check on the player after that hit.

TheGreatest

If there is a witch hunt here for some players.

Also Aiden O Shea should receive a 8 weeks suspension for entering the pitch of play. If you recall this similar incident:

https://www.the42.ie/darren-hughes-monaghan-ban-4690277-Jun2019/

If this is the game we are playing now looking for bans then, Personally, I don't think he should miss the final, but those are the rules what...

TheGreatest

Quote from: iorras on August 16, 2021, 11:54:40 AM
I can see why Lane missed it, I thought it was a good hit on live viewing during the match, there is no VAR/TMO so we cant check except with his linesman so he cant guess if he should give a card or not for something that seemed to look ok to him at the time, but he ABSOLUTLEY should have blown his whistle when he saw the aftermath of the hit. Himself and Deegan the king clown himself can have no excuses for that.

Most Dubs fans appear to be premiership fans first and foremost and inhabit that world of  "my team always right, your team always wrong" the predicates that cesspit. So the one eyedness doesn't surprise me. Small f*cked up what he was trying to do with devastating consequences for Eoghan McLoughlin, up to the GAA to decide if he should be sanctioned for that or not but the referee has to stop play to check on the player after that hit.

Never liked the Premiership to be honest. Numerous incidents in the game , numerous incidents in Mayo Dublin games over the last few years. . .

Nobody will change my mind on the Small shoulder, if anything, at worse, it was a free for Mayo..

gallsman

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 16, 2021, 11:21:12 AM
Quote from: gallsman on August 16, 2021, 11:10:05 AM

You are saying that he tried to challenge him fairly but a slight error in the execution caused a bad injury. If he didn't mean it, it's harsh to call it disgraceful.

I would say it was a bit more than a "slight error" in execution. He messed it up badly. And yes, outcome and consequence matter, and sound be taken into consideration for the punishment.

As for Aidan O'Shea, he should absolutely have been sent off for being in the field of play at that stage. I find the fact it was completely overlooked by TSG last night a bit surprising. But TheGreatest is playing a game of whataboutery here. The O'Shea incident is completely separate to the Small one. But if you want to play that game, I also look forward to Paddy Small's lengthy ban for his close fisted clothesline to the neck

Hound

Quote from: Whishtup on August 16, 2021, 11:08:54 AM
Not a fan of the 'hit' in football or hurling on someone whose body is in any way 'open'.  But it's nearly expected at this stage . The difference of a couple of inches makes it look bad but I'm sure there was no intent to strike the head.
I 100% agree.

The Dublin club one referenced above I thought was a horrible watch.  And I'm sure everyone has seen similar where a player receives the aptly named hospital pass, and is wide open to a 'fair shoulder' to wipe him out. And if the opposing player doesn't take that opportunity, he'll be berated by his teammates and supporters. It's part of the game and big physical hits can be a great watch, but there should be something in the rules about care for the opponent, in particular in relation to contact with the head. No doubt it's a bit odd that rugby rules provide for this, but GAA rules don't, given how much more physical their game is with their continuous monster hits.

Re the Small one, if you slow the action down frame by frame, you'll see that the first contact shoulder to shoulder. Eoghan's body is slightly turning as he's hit, and it immediately starts to crumple. John's knees are bent slightly, the way people are taught to give the 'fair shoulder', so then his shoulder rises to contact perfectly with Eoghan's head. Horrendous outcome and I wish him all the very best for his recovery.

Even James Horan said afterwards that he wasn't sure it was a foul, but was very upset that the play wasn't stopped immediately as the player was clearly in a bad way.