Mayo v Dublin: AISF21 (Saturday 14th August)

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 01, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo or Dublin?

Mayo
36 (50%)
Dublin
36 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 14, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Mayo4Sam14

Quite funny that over the past ten seasons Mayo seem to have operated on a strict two years on two years off in regards to All Ireland finals

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

highorlow

QuoteHow many Dublin players were on the field at the end? 12 or 13?

I was never much use at the sums but not bad at the auld English so zero "players" is me answer.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Mayo4Sam14

Also worth noting that, in those ten seasons, Mayo have contested as many finals as Dublin have. So if they could win after all it would be great!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: highorlow on August 15, 2021, 11:43:58 PM
QuoteHow many Dublin players were on the field at the end? 12 or 13?

I was never much use at the sums but not bad at the auld English so zero "players" is me answer.

Ah no, I'd give Fenton is due credit in all fairness

RedHand88

Quote from: ONeill on August 15, 2021, 10:57:15 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 15, 2021, 10:35:46 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on August 15, 2021, 10:31:58 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on August 15, 2021, 11:58:20 AM
Ach I really hope he's ok for the final and it's not a broken jaw.  How the ref let play continue I do not know.
I remember Dublin emptying Peter Crowley with a late hit in the last play of the semi-final a few years ago and the ref ignored it that day as well and it swung the game. 
Yesterday was ridiculous, the ref actually kept looking back, it was clear McLaughlin hit the ground like a sack of spuds, but he let Dublin if for a goal chance anyway.

Disgusting piece of thuggery from Small,double broken jaw for McLaughlin, will miss the All Ireland.

As for McStay not calling it out, he's gone way down in my estimation.

I'm amazed how many people thought it was a fair challenge when they first saw it.

I don't think it was a clear-cut foul. It looked more like Small went to meet him shoulder to shoulder but McLaughlin changed stance at the last minute.

So it's McLaughlins fault.

Christ.

yellowcard

I'll be honest in saying that I thought in real time it was a great hit. I've hated how sanitised the game has become in recent years where every little personal foul is penalised and petty challenges are punished with yellow cards. I like to see a bit of physicality in the game and perfectly timed 'big hits' have almost become a thing of the past. The biggest mistake Lane made was in not stopping the play when it was clear that McLoughlin had suffered a heavy hit. Then taken his time and consulted with his officials. When he allowed play to continue he almost had to double down on that original decision and therefore took no action.

I still think Small was perfectly entitled to go for the hit but the connection was not square on the shoulder and he intentionally left a bit on the opponent. It's desperate for McLoughlin firstly to suffer such a bad injury and then to miss out on the blue riband event of the GAA calendar as a result but with the abuse that Lane has received since, referees will be very cautious about allowing a degree of physical contact going forward. The easy option will be to blow the whistle if in doubt which does nothing for the game as a spectacle. The abuse that Lane has got from some highly paid media pundits sitting in their ivory towers has been way over the top. He made some poor decisions but he'll not be feeling good since the match.

Stall the Bailer

The angle Small was coming at meant he never could hit him fair, it was always going to be a frontal charge at best. A side by side was not possible. The first booking in game was a yellow for this as no contact was made with the head. In the small tackle it should have been red. The angle Lane had may have been poor to see the contact to head, but he should have known it wasn't a side to side shoulder.

StPatsAbu

Utter filth-bag tackle from Small.  Dublin have actively coached such thuggery since Pillar's day, an exponent of dirtbag thuggery himself. The Dubs have always got away with it. Ciaran Whelan, the perrenial failure, was 100% thug and part-time player. Anyone remember him choosing to punch the Tyrone player in the jaw rather than compete for the ball at 2005 AIQF thrown-in?

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 15, 2021, 10:29:43 PM
Sunday game showing a few more strikes by the small brothers. Absolute tramps, closed fist off the ball strikes.

Which Tyrone "tr**p" broke Paddy Andrews' jaw? The sanctimonious bull**it from Tyrone supporters is sickening. Come on Kerry.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

StPatsAbu

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 16, 2021, 01:33:54 AM
Sunday game showing a few more strikes by the small brothers. Absolute tramps, closed fist off the ball strikes.

Which Tyrone "tr**p" broke Paddy Andrews' jaw? The sanctimonious bull**it from Tyrone supporters is sickening. Come on Kerry.

Calm yourself.. loser

tyrone08

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 16, 2021, 01:33:54 AM

Morgan tackle just missed his shoulder. Small was a full frontal challenge. Bit of a difference. If you called out Morgan for it then you should have no issue calling out small.

imtommygunn

Agree with a few sentiments here. Definitely a red card but highly unlikely small went to do what he did. Small goes for big hits and takes chances with them. Remember his photo of the hit on keaney in the club? Red card all day long and definitely a bit on the wreckless side but highly unlikely he meant it.

mouview

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 15, 2021, 10:36:05 PM
Has John small not been sent off more times than anyone else in all Ireland finals? Not new for him to not be the cleanest.

Every winning team in Gaelic has players who has no angels in them. McCarthy and small in particular for Dublin, Tomas O'Se, Peter Crowley for Kerry, McGee in particular for Donegal, Tyrone had a few, Armagh had a few etc. Not specific to Dublin. Mayo have one or two as well lol. I wouldn't say a couple of boys being dirty hallions ruins their reputation. Pretty much every successful Gaa team in history has a few.

Ahem... Galway 98 - 01 were a superb team that concentrated on playing the game as it should. Don't know had they few if any players sent off in that time. (Maybe De Paor v NY IIRC).

imtommygunn

Tbf most of them weren't dirty but the big guy in midfield O'Domhnaill ? wasn't the cleanest IIRC and I could be wrong but was never sure on Divilly... They were one of the cleanest tbf.

TheGreatest

First time logging in since Friday, Haven't read any of the previous comments on this thread yet about the match, I don't think i will, i can only imagine, if the same as social media afterwards... I just don't have the energy, presumably Small and McMahon coming in for stick, etc,  but nothing new there, win or lose.

Well I am sure you all delighted also. Congratulations to Mayo, better team overall on the day, congrats to the Mayo fans on here also, some are decent skins.

On Dublin, gave me, my family and my friends the best decade of our lives supporting them. Owe nobody nothing. Will be back next year and be there or there abouts (Hoping Mannion and Jack come back!!) but after next year, i can see a decline again, and again and could be some barren years ahead. to my knowledge, nothing coming through to the talent of what there has been there the last few years. Good yes, but Fenton, Con, Kilkenny good, no.

Best of luck Mayo in the final.

I will add, and i know this will not go down well, The Small hit, a great hit, dont care what anyone says and wont change my mind, one of the best hits ever, pity about the goal chance after it.....  A pity the about the injury too, unfortunate, GAA going soft, people going soft. ..