Mayo v Dublin: AISF21 (Saturday 14th August)

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 01, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo or Dublin?

Mayo
36 (50%)
Dublin
36 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 14, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

SouthDublinBro

Again full credit to Mayo for beating what was in front of them but that was certainly not the best Mayo performance I've seen nor is this quite as an impressive achievement as many Mayo fans seem to be heralding it as. Bear in mind the fact that Meath came extremely close to exposing this Dublin team last month.

Mayo did not beat THE Dublin that had dominated the sport for so long. They beat the shadow of that team for whom the hunger was gone. Congrats on your semi final win. I will be rooting for you against Kerry but this game and feeling will be ultimately forgotten if you don't go on to lift Sam.

Sportacus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 15, 2021, 12:09:48 PM
Well done Mayo.

You have been in lockstep with Dublin over the last ten glorious years and have never let us out of your sights. It's appropriate that you are the ones who were there the day the music died. It was a tough game with neither side holding back but I'm sure that's the way Mayo would want it – a victory handed to them on a plate would be no use to them. I believe all Dublin supporters will be wishing you all the best in the Final.

As a Dublin fan the last ten years have been a golden era which back in the early 2000s none of us would ever have foreseen. We were blessed to be able to follow the best Gaelic football team that ever was or probably ever will be. The scale of Dublin's achievement can be appreciated by considering that Mayo's stunning performance last night would have to be replicated in almost every significant game between now and 2030.     
Sorry but that's just a patronising euphemism towards Mayo.  James McCarthy elbowed O'Connor in the throat, McLaughlin out stone cold with possible broken jaw, McCarthy throwing his man to the ground, McMahon being a dick, and god knows what else.  Don't be giving it the aul no quarter asked nor given treatment. 
The 'spade a spade' for me is Dublin have had some fine teams, great players and we're wxtremely modest and gracious victors, and hats off to them breaking all records, but you have to call out yesterday for what it was.

hoynevalley

Well done to Mayo. I called the mayo win early in week. The dubs massive decline this year.  Aidan O'Shea taking himself off was changing of the game. Matt Ruane definitely player of the year. Class act. Well done to Ryan O'Donoghue and Tommy Conroy.  Great leadership.

WhoDat

i said before the game that i heard the dub camp wasnt happy and i believe that to be true. clear identity crisis since gavin left and cluxton's disappearing act. farrell doesn't have a handle on the egos.

mayo showed great courage and conviction. horan brilliant on the sideline. subbing o'shea when he was having a nightmare was a big call and it changed the game. he has built a seriously pacey squad there. their fitness and pace was frightening at times.

hope the mcloughlin lad is ok. that was a dirty hit and of course conor lane didn't blow it up. a clown of a ref who is shocking even at club level.

Lar Naparka

As the game went on, I got increasingly thick with the Dublin side's cynical play. It got worse as the game slipped away from them. Lane was fluting about waving black and yellow cards but taking no decisive action.
I honestly thought Dublin were a disgrace to their county.
Then the game ended...
I may be wrong but I think every Dublin players stayed on the field and congratulated their opponents. They were certainly gracious in defeat. They had tried every means possible to win but accepted their defeat like gunuine sportsmen.
A point that should be noted.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rudi

Quote from: dublin7 on August 15, 2021, 12:02:21 AM
Quote from: Rudi on August 14, 2021, 09:47:07 PM
Fair play to Mayo. Horan is an excellent manager. Fair play to Cora for rightly calling out the ref at the end of the 70 mins. Hennelly deserves credit for 3 excellent frees.
Dublin were an indisciplined pack of bully boys, sore losers, no bench & where was the great Brian Fenton? When the going got tough he disappeared. Last time we will see Pilly on a pitch, maybe a late late appearance with Tubs.
Again fair play to Mayo enjoy a great win.

If Basquel scores that goal at the start of the 2nd half the game is done, but all year dubs have been doing things and making errors they never made before. They tried to play keep ball but Mayo pushed up on them and before they new it they were being over run by a far hungrier team.

Despite their struggles all over the pitch from the 2nd half onwards( Rudi's f**king ignorance & Dublin bitterness aside) Brian Fenton was immense tonight and had one of his best ever games in a Dublin jersey. That was an awesome display by him and at times he was the one Dublin player carrying the fight to Mayo.

That was a great win for Mayo tonight and their fans/players should enjoy the victory (especially the fan who backed a draw over 70min at 40-1 and put a tenner on it)

I'd fear for Mayo in the final though. 13 points in 70min won't be anywhere close enough to beat Kerry and Comerford in the goal didn't have a save to make. Without goals that Mayo side won't beat Kerry and after finally beating Dublin they need to push on. Unfortunately for them tonight was only a semi final and no trophies were handed out tonight

Its understandable your in bad form after a championship loss, if you ever cared to read my posts, I always speak in high terms about how great this Dublin team is. The best team I have ever seen & I ain't a young fella. Some super players Kilkenny, Mannion, Callaghan, Fenton, O Sullivan, Brogan, Flynn & others to numerous to mention. I coach myself & always mention the Dublin way of playing, 30 yard pass ball bouncing in front of the man. I have defended the financial doping of the squad on other threads.
Last night didn't like the keep ball 10 mins before half time, would rather if they pushed on, they were dirty in the second half & Philly, McCarthy & others let themselves down. I like Fenton as a player he was ok last night, thought all the Dublin players disappeared a bit in the second half & extra time, dont think Farrell is up to much as a manager. Again I admire this Dublin side over the last 10 years, some of them acted the maggot last night & deserved to be on the losing side.

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on August 15, 2021, 11:06:41 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 15, 2021, 10:52:05 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 15, 2021, 10:41:59 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 15, 2021, 10:36:30 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 15, 2021, 10:13:20 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 15, 2021, 12:41:48 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 14, 2021, 11:40:20 PM
G seriously, I remember seeing Jack O'Shea and he was better than Fenton, Don't think he get too much change out of Anthony Tohill either.

Yes I'd agree with that. Jacko and Tohill were far superior
Tohills not even in the argument .only a nordie would think he is
my top 3 would be from my living memory only ,though  I just love the legend of Mick o connell but i only ever saw him play once ,
Jack o shea
Dara o se
Then Fenton - tjhen only Dub toplay close to his abilty yesterday after the 1st half and not a tr**p

The fact that only you brought a partitionist view into it, suggests you're not including Tohill for that very reason.

Tohill was absolute all rounder. Awesome strength, superb fielder, could drive forward, could take scores, and free taker. Jacko, fantastic. Those are the top two.

After that you're looking at Dara O'Se, Michael Murphy (even though he didn't always play at midfield), Liam Hayes and Sean Cavanagh. Fenton is way down that list.

Is that the same Darragh O'Se who got cleaned out of sight 3 times by Kevin Hughes in Croke?

People enjoy a strange romanticism about retired players.

Peter Canavan couldn't get a score off Enda McNulty for years. Does that mean Canavan shouldn't be considered one of the greatest forwards who played the game?

Canavan's peak was mid to late 90's but he was still one of the top forwards of all time nobody would argue that point. It's nonsensical to pick out a few games over a players entire career and use that as a metric of their ability. Your opinion on Fenton is just blatantly anti Dub.

I didn't. Wobbler did that. I was merely responding 

Anti Dub me hole. Can someone not have an opinion now without being called anti-something?  :o

whitey

That cod acting around by the Dublin defense that led to the 45 wouldn't have happened under Gilroy or Gavin.

What was McCarthy thinking flinging the Mayo player to the ground right in front of the referee

At that stage they had gotten away with holy blue murder so he probably thought he'd get away with that too

If you look at the final Mayo possession of the game, the Dublin number 15 (I think) attempted to dispossess the Mayo player from behind by punching him in the ribs.....more than once

MayoBuck

Well done Mayo.

You have been in lockstep with Dublin over the last ten glorious years and have never let us out of your sights. It's appropriate that you are the ones who were there the day the music died. It was a tough game with neither side holding back but I'm sure that's the way Mayo would want it – a victory handed to them on a plate would be no use to them. I believe all Dublin supporters will be wishing you all the best in the Final.

As a Dublin fan the last ten years have been a golden era which back in the early 2000s none of us would ever have foreseen. We were blessed to be able to follow the best Gaelic football team that ever was or probably ever will be. The scale of Dublin's achievement can be appreciated by considering that Mayo's stunning performance last night would have to be replicated in almost every significant game between now and 2030.     

No I'd have preferred less broken jaws to be honest.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 15, 2021, 01:25:07 PM
As the game went on, I got increasingly thick with the Dublin side's cynical play. It got worse as the game slipped away from them. Lane was fluting about waving black and yellow cards but taking no decisive action.
I honestly thought Dublin were a disgrace to their county.
Then the game ended...
I may be wrong but I think every Dublin players stayed on the field and congratulated their opponents. They were certainly gracious in defeat. They had tried every means possible to win but accepted their defeat like gunuine sportsmen.
A point that should be noted.

I heard rte on about this too. Doesn't every team do that win or lose? It would be bizarre if they just walked off the pitch without shaking hands. That's basic etiquette even in my 5 a side soccer.

dublin7

Quote from: Rudi on August 15, 2021, 01:26:50 PM
Fair play to Mayo. Horan is an excellent manager. Fair play to Cora for rightly calling out the ref at the end of the 70 mins. Hennelly deserves credit for 3 excellent frees.
Dublin were an indisciplined pack of bully boys, sore losers, no bench & where was the great Brian Fenton? When the going got tough he disappeared. Last time we will see Pilly on a pitch, maybe a late late appearance with Tubs.

If Basquel scores that goal at the start of the 2nd half the game is done, but all year dubs have been doing things and making errors they never made before. They tried to play keep ball but Mayo pushed up on them and before they new it they were being over run by a far hungrier team.

Despite their struggles all over the pitch from the 2nd half onwards( Rudi's f**king ignorance & Dublin bitterness aside) Brian Fenton was immense tonight and had one of his best ever games in a Dublin jersey. That was an awesome display by him and at times he was the one Dublin player carrying the fight to Mayo.

That was a great win for Mayo tonight and their fans/players should enjoy the victory (especially the fan who backed a draw over 70min at 40-1 and put a tenner on it)

I'd fear for Mayo in the final though. 13 points in 70min won't be anywhere close enough to beat Kerry and Comerford in the goal didn't have a save to make. Without goals that Mayo side won't beat Kerry and after finally beating Dublin they need to push on. Unfortunately for them tonight was only a semi final and no trophies were handed out tonight

Its understandable your in bad form after a championship loss, if you ever cared to read my posts, I always speak in high terms about how great this Dublin team is. The best team I have ever seen & I ain't a young fella. Some super players Kilkenny, Mannion, Callaghan, Fenton, O Sullivan, Brogan, Flynn & others to numerous to mention. I coach myself & always mention the Dublin way of playing, 30 yard pass ball bouncing in front of the man. I have defended the financial doping of the squad on other threads.
Last night didn't like the keep ball 10 mins before half time, would rather if they pushed on, they were dirty in the second half & Philly, McCarthy & others let themselves down. I like Fenton as a player he was ok last night, thought all the Dublin players disappeared a bit in the second half & extra time, dont think Farrell is up to much as a manager. Again I admire this Dublin side over the last 10 years, some of them acted the maggot last night & deserved to be on the losing side.

You're slagging off Fenton for his efforts last night. Your as anti dub as benny cake if you think Fenton went missing last night. Some of his fielding was outstanding and he fought right to the end.

Despite what people think the dubs don't have an unlimited pool of professional superstars and this defeat has been in the post all season. Younger players need time to find their feet and the Dublin players looked mentally tired and making uncharacteristic mistakes they didn't make in previous seasons

WhoDat

fenton was about the only dublin player who showed up last night

hoynevalley

Quote from: MayoBuck on August 15, 2021, 01:49:45 PM
Well done Mayo.

No I'd have preferred less broken jaws to be honest.

The O'Connor brothers have broken many a jaw over the years.  Them mayo lads would be used to the big hits in training

BennyCake

Quote from: dublin7 on August 15, 2021, 02:06:15 PM
Quote from: Rudi on August 15, 2021, 01:26:50 PM

You're slagging off Fenton for his efforts last night. Your as anti dub as benny cake if you think Fenton went missing last night. Some of his fielding was outstanding and he fought right to the end.

Despite what people think the dubs don't have an unlimited pool of professional superstars and this defeat has been in the post all season. Younger players need time to find their feet and the Dublin players looked mentally tired and making uncharacteristic mistakes they didn't make in previous seasons

Get a grip, man. "He was ok last night" is slagging someone off?  You're a hyper sensitive Dub. Any slight criticism of any Dublin player or their performance  and you're out with the claws.  Take off your blue glasses and accept  that people have an opinion that might differ from yours.

trueblue1234

I'm kind of surprised Dublin7 hasn't discussed the dirt on show last night. He's usually very vocal on such matters with other teams.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit