Mayo v Dublin: AISF21 (Saturday 14th August)

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 01, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo or Dublin?

Mayo
36 (50%)
Dublin
36 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 14, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

yellowcard

Quote from: thewobbler on August 14, 2021, 11:16:42 PM
Fenton is probably the greatest player of all time m.

As a midfielder he's the best I've seen anyway.

Wildweasel74

G seriously, I remember seeing Jack O'Shea and he was better than Fenton, Don't think he get too much change out of Anthony Tohill either.

sidelineball

Quote from: armaghniac on August 14, 2021, 07:45:48 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 14, 2021, 07:43:59 PM
Never want to hear about tyrone being a dirty team again. That Dublin team is a disgrace with their antics and the ref is joke

They likely watched Tyrone videos, but not in a poorly ventilated video room.

Armagh followed Covid protocols?

Hound

Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2021, 11:28:29 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 14, 2021, 11:16:42 PM
Fenton is probably the greatest player of all time m.

As a midfielder he's the best I've seen anyway.
I'd like to thank both you guys for your rational and impartial analysis today. 

I was mainly watching Sky's coverage and just caught O'Hora's interview now. As some of the Mayo lads may remember, I've been a big fan of O'Hora even before he became a starter for Mayo. His interview was absolute gold. He's an example of what makes this the very best game of all.

Bizarre as it may sound, Mayo are my second fav team, and I've zero family connection. But they play proper football. Apart from the first half today, when they played more defensive than I've ever seen them!  But from minute 36 on, they reverted to type and had too much for us. A couple of lucky breaks perhaps, but I can't begrudge them that after the OGs and post hitting of the past. They were certainly due one!

You'll be up against it in the final, but no harm going in as underdogs. Just don't get any more injuries in training!

dublin7

Quote from: Rudi on August 14, 2021, 09:47:07 PM
Fair play to Mayo. Horan is an excellent manager. Fair play to Cora for rightly calling out the ref at the end of the 70 mins. Hennelly deserves credit for 3 excellent frees.
Dublin were an indisciplined pack of bully boys, sore losers, no bench & where was the great Brian Fenton? When the going got tough he disappeared. Last time we will see Pilly on a pitch, maybe a late late appearance with Tubs.
Again fair play to Mayo enjoy a great win.

If Basquel scores that goal at the start of the 2nd half the game is done, but all year dubs have been doing things and making errors they never made before. They tried to play keep ball but Mayo pushed up on them and before they new it they were being over run by a far hungrier team.

Despite their struggles all over the pitch from the 2nd half onwards( Rudi's f**king ignorance & Dublin bitterness aside) Brian Fenton was immense tonight and had one of his best ever games in a Dublin jersey. That was an awesome display by him and at times he was the one Dublin player carrying the fight to Mayo.

That was a great win for Mayo tonight and their fans/players should enjoy the victory (especially the fan who backed a draw over 70min at 40-1 and put a tenner on it)

I'd fear for Mayo in the final though. 13 points in 70min won't be anywhere close enough to beat Kerry and Comerford in the goal didn't have a save to make. Without goals that Mayo side won't beat Kerry and after finally beating Dublin they need to push on. Unfortunately for them tonight was only a semi final and no trophies were handed out tonight

Mayo4Sam14

There's very few things players on that Dublin team today I have time for but Fenton is just extraordinary. Once in a lifetime talent. There was one ball he was plucked out of the sky that had me thinking the comeback was dead in the water
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

sidelineball

thewobbler

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 15, 2021, 12:02:37 AM
There's very few things players on that Dublin team today I have time for but Fenton is just extraordinary. Once in a lifetime talent. There was one ball he was plucked out of the sky that had me thinking the comeback was dead in the water

I remember that one. Was watching the game with my mate who is only sort of GAA. Mayo had pushed up everywhere. I said to him, watch while Comerford hits Fenton. And he was about a metre above.

Extraordinary player.

mouview

Quote from: BennyCake on August 14, 2021, 08:34:34 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 14, 2021, 08:26:34 PM
Quote from: Schkite on August 14, 2021, 08:24:33 PM
McCarthy right in front of the ref, absolutely brainless from such an experienced player

Shows how class less some of these dubs are. First time they are beaten and they act like thugs.

Dublin behaved and played like Dublin of the late 90's/early 2000's.

And the 70s/80s. McCarthy a throwback to the era when his father was playing, utter tr**p.

BennyCake

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 14, 2021, 11:40:20 PM
G seriously, I remember seeing Jack O'Shea and he was better than Fenton, Don't think he get too much change out of Anthony Tohill either.

Yes I'd agree with that. Jacko and Tohill were far superior

Cunny Funt

Quote from: dublin7 on August 15, 2021, 12:02:21 AM
I'd fear for Mayo in the final though. 13 points in 70min won't be anywhere close enough to beat Kerry and Comerford in the goal didn't have a save to make. Without goals that Mayo side won't beat Kerry and after finally beating Dublin they need to push on. Unfortunately for them tonight was only a semi final and no trophies were handed out tonight
Not sure if Mayo will need them but goals will be easier to create and score against Kerrys defence than Dublins. And have you taken into account that Mayo have good man markers in O Hora, Durcan, Keegan to hold The Cliffords and O'Shea to low scores?

physicality, conditioning stakes can Kerry match Mayo is the main question I'd ask if this is to be the final pairing.

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on August 15, 2021, 12:41:48 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 14, 2021, 11:40:20 PM

Yes I'd agree with that. Jacko and Tohill were far superior

At what though?

I'm old enough to have watched every important game that Tohill played in. Right back to macrory cup. And he was magnificent. Absolutely magnificent.

But in a team of all time greats, Fenton still stands out. His fielding. His energy. His distribution. His aura.

I'm not saying he's definitely the best midfielder of all time.

But anyone who discounts him from such a conversation isn't thinking straight. They're mellowing.

dublin7

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 15, 2021, 12:44:55 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 15, 2021, 12:02:21 AM
Not sure if Mayo will need them but goals will be easier to create and score against Kerrys defence than Dublins. And have you taken into account that Mayo have good man markers in O Hora, Durcan, Keegan to hold The Cliffords and O'Shea to low scores?

Physically, conditioning stakes can Kerry match Mayo is the main question I'd ask if this is to be the final pairing.
Kerry will score goals.Its clearly something they've been working on this year and they've been banging nthem in all season.

Looking at them they remind of the dubs in 2011. Then they were the young up and coming team and Kerry the veterans. Now the roles are reversed but the dubs are out.

Halfquarter

End of Dublin's decade of dominance was sad to see, but not as sad as I thought it would be

Joe Brolly

August 14 2021 09:44 PM

In the 38th minute, with Dublin five up, and moving gloomily towards another anti-climactic win, the game went into a dumb phase. A sort of footballing purgatory, with Dublin holding possession, going backwards, backwards, backwards and nothing in particular happening. For ten long minutes this continued.

Then, something extraordinary happened. Aidan O'Shea was taken off. It felt like a clarion call for a new era. Mayo's young team — having seemed to accept their fate for the first three-quarters of the game — were suddenly unburdened, and went into full-on championship mode.

Dublin, stuck in a negative rut, could not respond and for the rest of the game they were blown away. Eight times Dublin fisted the ball to a Mayo man.

When Davy Byrne soloed over his own end line in the 77th minute to give Mayo the chance to equalise with the last kick of the game, Rob Hennelly nailed the '45 imperiously and the Dubs were done.

Hennelly was unrecognisable from the psychological wreck we have come to know. Here, he played magnificently throughout, his inch perfect kick-outs quarterbacking Mayo on their way, complemented by two superb frees from around 60 metres and then that killer '45.

Dublin overcarried, got caught in the tackle, mis-passed the ball constantly with foot and hand, and might have gotten away with it, until the removal of O'Shea and the realisation by this vibrant young Mayo team that this was the moment.

The heart of this team is Pádraig O'Hora. Having dismissed Galway's main threat Shane Walsh in the Connacht final with an emphatic slam to the turf after Walsh had pulled him back, he underlined Alex Ferguson's credo that the game is first and foremost about character. I met him out walking his dog last week in Ballina, bouncing along with his ponytail and smiling broadly. "Give them hell," I said. "I will," he said.

Do not let the pink boots fool you. This man is a terrific bit of stuff and a natural leader. In Croke Park, he took the great Ciarán Kilkenny apart, physically and more importantly mentally, so that long before the end Kilkenny had accepted his fate.

Keegan likewise is a leader and with O'Hora at his side, Mayo have two men who are not afraid to win. It was this negation of Dublin's attacking threat that gave them the confidence to surge on in the last quarter and throughout extra-time.

Enda Hession came in as a sub and immediately showed his team-mates the way, making a series of electrifying drives through the heart of the Dublin defence.

Most teams are beaten by Dublin before they start. Witness Kildare coming to lose by not too much in the Leinster final. When Mayo drove at them, it soon became clear that this Dublin team had reached the end of its natural life. Kicking the ball into the goalkeeper's hands.

Driving goal chances wide. Fouling when it was as easy to tackle cleanly. But mostly, going backwards, backwards, ever backwards. It was sad to see but not as sad as I thought it would be.

This was because Mayo inspired us and sent us away with hope that this unprecedented period of dominance by one team, this era of oppression, is over.

They played with freedom and concentration and manliness and for the first time in seven years Dublin lost in championship, a decade of tyranny over the game that I hope will never be repeated.

Up front, Ryan O'Donoghue showed that he is also a natural leader, playing with composure and grit, refusing to let the game get the better of him.

Most pleasing for me was the arrival into the big time of Tommy Conroy, an electrifying, passionate, emotional young player who nailed down the Dublin coffin with three glorious points coming down the stretch. He must have suffered after his mauling and early removal against Dublin in last year's final. His performance here showed strength of character and a young man with spirit and a sense of adventure.

Tommy Goals they call him in Mayo. When he starts doing that in Croke Park they really will be in business. He will need to against Kerry.

All that remains to be said is three cheers for this Dublin team and their astonishing contribution to the game.

Sunday Independent

StPatsAbu

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 15, 2021, 01:37:35 AM
End of Dublin's decade of dominance was sad to see, but not as sad as I thought it would be

Joe Brolly

August 14 2021 09:44 PM

In the 38th minute, with Dublin five up, and moving gloomily towards another anti-climactic win, the game went into a dumb phase. A sort of footballing purgatory, with Dublin holding possession, going backwards, backwards, backwards and nothing in particular happening. For ten long minutes this continued.

Then, something extraordinary happened. Aidan O'Shea was taken off. It felt like a clarion call for a new era. Mayo's young team — having seemed to accept their fate for the first three-quarters of the game — were suddenly unburdened, and went into full-on championship mode.

Dublin, stuck in a negative rut, could not respond and for the rest of the game they were blown away. Eight times Dublin fisted the ball to a Mayo man.

When Davy Byrne soloed over his own end line in the 77th minute to give Mayo the chance to equalise with the last kick of the game, Rob Hennelly nailed the '45 imperiously and the Dubs were done.

Hennelly was unrecognisable from the psychological wreck we have come to know. Here, he played magnificently throughout, his inch perfect kick-outs quarterbacking Mayo on their way, complemented by two superb frees from around 60 metres and then that killer '45.

Dublin overcarried, got caught in the tackle, mis-passed the ball constantly with foot and hand, and might have gotten away with it, until the removal of O'Shea and the realisation by this vibrant young Mayo team that this was the moment.

The heart of this team is Pádraig O'Hora. Having dismissed Galway's main threat Shane Walsh in the Connacht final with an emphatic slam to the turf after Walsh had pulled him back, he underlined Alex Ferguson's credo that the game is first and foremost about character. I met him out walking his dog last week in Ballina, bouncing along with his ponytail and smiling broadly. "Give them hell," I said. "I will," he said.

Do not let the pink boots fool you. This man is a terrific bit of stuff and a natural leader. In Croke Park, he took the great Ciarán Kilkenny apart, physically and more importantly mentally, so that long before the end Kilkenny had accepted his fate.

Keegan likewise is a leader and with O'Hora at his side, Mayo have two men who are not afraid to win. It was this negation of Dublin's attacking threat that gave them the confidence to surge on in the last quarter and throughout extra-time.

Enda Hession came in as a sub and immediately showed his team-mates the way, making a series of electrifying drives through the heart of the Dublin defence.

Most teams are beaten by Dublin before they start. Witness Kildare coming to lose by not too much in the Leinster final. When Mayo drove at them, it soon became clear that this Dublin team had reached the end of its natural life. Kicking the ball into the goalkeeper's hands.

Driving goal chances wide. Fouling when it was as easy to tackle cleanly. But mostly, going backwards, backwards, ever backwards. It was sad to see but not as sad as I thought it would be.

This was because Mayo inspired us and sent us away with hope that this unprecedented period of dominance by one team, this era of oppression, is over.

They played with freedom and concentration and manliness and for the first time in seven years Dublin lost in championship, a decade of tyranny over the game that I hope will never be repeated.

Up front, Ryan O'Donoghue showed that he is also a natural leader, playing with composure and grit, refusing to let the game get the better of him.

Most pleasing for me was the arrival into the big time of Tommy Conroy, an electrifying, passionate, emotional young player who nailed down the Dublin coffin with three glorious points coming down the stretch. He must have suffered after his mauling and early removal against Dublin in last year's final. His performance here showed strength of character and a young man with spirit and a sense of adventure.

Tommy Goals they call him in Mayo. When he starts doing that in Croke Park they really will be in business. He will need to against Kerry.

All that remains to be said is three cheers for this Dublin team and their astonishing contribution to the game.

Sunday Independent

Joe in 'sucking the hole off Dublin' shocker