Mayo v Dublin: AISF21 (Saturday 14th August)

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 01, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo or Dublin?

Mayo
36 (50%)
Dublin
36 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 14, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

joemamas

On an amusing note, I live in NY suburbs
New neighbors moved in today, no idea who they are, not Irish anyhow.
They must think I am certifiable
TV room nearest one to their house, volume was at about 99
and my wife informed after the game that she could hear me outside yelling over the TV,
Both moving company workers and the new neighbors game more than a few worried glances.
Only time I missed a Mayo All Ireland was last December.
Been a lot of trips home, a lot of longer trips back,
Still so happy to be part of the Long Journey, and to be able to support our wonderful warriors, especially over the last ten years.

reddgnhand

Quote from: BennyCake on August 14, 2021, 10:32:23 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2021, 10:07:25 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 14, 2021, 09:51:40 PM
Quote from: Rudi on August 14, 2021, 09:47:07 PM
Fair play to Mayo. Horan is an excellent manager. Fair play to Cora for rightly calling out the ref at the end of the 70 mins. Hennelly deserves credit for 3 excellent frees.
Dublin were an indisciplined pack of bully boys, sore losers, no bench & where was the great Brian Fenton? When the going got tough he disappeared. Last time we will see Pilly on a pitch, maybe a late late appearance with Tubs.
Again fair play to Mayo enjoy a great win.

I never thought he was great. A vastly overrated player. When the chips were down, he was nowhere to be found.

Judging a players merit on one match is not being fair. By any metric Fenton has been the outstanding midfield player of his generation most rational observers will see that. Just another example of anti Dubs bias clouding somebody's judgement. It's understandable that the country revel in the Dubs defeat but I think this group of players will only get the credit they deserve in years to come. Right now it's just very good for Gaelic football that they were beaten.

It's not based on one match. I always thought he was overrated.
Based on what?

Sportacus

Delighted for Hennelly.  He's a really good goalkeeper.  Why did James McCarthy throw his man to the ground when they lumped in the 45 needing a goal.  Why concede an obvious free out?  For a man with so much experience I can't fathom why he did that.

tyrone08

Quote from: Sportacus on August 14, 2021, 10:36:41 PM
Delighted for Hennelly.  He's a really good goalkeeper.  Why did James McCarthy throw his man to the ground when they lumped in the 45 needing a goal.  Why concede an obvious free out?  For a man with so much experience I can't fathom why he did that.

Couldn't understand it or why the Dublin players sarcastically clapped at the ref. Even he couldn't ignore it as it was right in front of him

Armagh18

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 14, 2021, 09:49:19 PM
No man has gotten more stick, from our fans and other. But he's showed up and performed year in and out. Well we wouldn't be in a final without him today. Three gargantuan points and not a stray kickout all day.

Round of applause for Hennelly today 👏🏻💚❤️
Just came on here to post the same thing. Clean sheet and showed some balls the kick the equaliser there. Fair play to him he deserves plenty of praise tonight.

omagh_gael

Best moment of the match? O'Connor's sliding volley back to McLaughlin for his point. The most Mayo score ever!

Blowitupref

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 14, 2021, 10:47:31 PM
Best moment of the match? O'Connor's sliding volley back to McLaughlin for his point. The most Mayo score ever!

It was one of game changing moments of the contest.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

yellowcard

Just hearing O'Horas interview, that man should be captain. He was the definition of a warrior today.

thewobbler

One of the best players I've ever seen, changed that game tonight by himself. Keegan went to a sort of 6, sort of 11, position at half time and drove Mayo through sheer will. Apparently done, apparently playing corner back because Mayo had nobody else, he just picked it up and ran with it.

Mayo defeated the greatest team of all time because of him. Their best forward out for the season. Their superstar defender injured beforehand. Their other talisman stunk the place out and thankfully Horan had the sense to replace him.  And unfazed, Keegan kept driving them on and on.

Like every team in history, Dublin just weren't the same when they weren't in control. Much as I'm delighted to see them finally dethroned, honestly I'm still in awe of them. They play perfect football. But Mayo just kind of fucked on perfect. By sheer will.

omagh_gael

Just watched the Hennelly 45, can't for the life of me see how that was retaken? Someone said earlier that Lane was moving towards him to tell Jim to wait, that's not true. Also, commentators saying McMahon ran across the ball, that was well before he kicked it. Any minor scuffle off camera was way behind Hennelly.

yellowcard

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 14, 2021, 11:05:15 PM
Just watched the Hennelly 45, can't for the life of me see how that was retaken? Someone said earlier that Lane was moving towards him to tell Jim to wait, that's not true. Also, commentators saying McMahon ran across the ball, that was well before he kicked it. Any minor scuffle off camera was way behind Hennelly.

There was no infringement, it was a classic case of a referee trying to atone for his previous errors. Thankfully he did order a retake though. He also should have played at least another minute but copped out as the game was getting out of control after the McCarthy swipe. Poor day out for Lane but it was still the right result.

BennyCake

Quote from: reddgnhand on August 14, 2021, 10:35:07 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 14, 2021, 10:32:23 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2021, 10:07:25 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 14, 2021, 09:51:40 PM
Quote from: Rudi on August 14, 2021, 09:47:07 PM
Fair play to Mayo. Horan is an excellent manager. Fair play to Cora for rightly calling out the ref at the end of the 70 mins. Hennelly deserves credit for 3 excellent frees.
Dublin were an indisciplined pack of bully boys, sore losers, no bench & where was the great Brian Fenton? When the going got tough he disappeared. Last time we will see Pilly on a pitch, maybe a late late appearance with Tubs.
Again fair play to Mayo enjoy a great win.

I never thought he was great. A vastly overrated player. When the chips were down, he was nowhere to be found.

Judging a players merit on one match is not being fair. By any metric Fenton has been the outstanding midfield player of his generation most rational observers will see that. Just another example of anti Dubs bias clouding somebody's judgement. It's understandable that the country revel in the Dubs defeat but I think this group of players will only get the credit they deserve in years to come. Right now it's just very good for Gaelic football that they were beaten.

It's not based on one match. I always thought he was overrated.
Based on what?

Uh, my opinion

thewobbler

Lane kind of proved the problems with football in a nutshell. 15 v 14 is unfair. A man getting cleaned out off the ball is part of the game. The right rules, even three-quarter commonsense rules, say to let it roll. But when a team thinks they can do itv repeatedly without punishment then it's unfair. Which is why the black card was invented.

Refs don't want to change the course of a game. But eventually they have to step in.

thewobbler

Fenton is probably the greatest player of all time m.

mrdeeds

Quote from: thewobbler on August 14, 2021, 11:16:42 PM
Fenton is probably the greatest player of all time m.

Yeah I agree and I'm no Dublin fan.