Mayo v Dublin: AISF21 (Saturday 14th August)

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 01, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo or Dublin?

Mayo
36 (50%)
Dublin
36 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 14, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 12, 2021, 12:16:08 AM

The poll here kinda shows how much of 50/50 game this is.

The poll kinda shows that there are more Mayo posters than Dublin posters.

The Poll kinda shows that all the rest hope Mayo win or are just pulling the piss.

Saying this game was 50/50 is laughable.  ;D

Rossfan

If ye do happen to win could I ask ye to please don't wreck the Stadium as ourselves and the Biffos want to watch our Final in comfort.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Genuinely hope the reports of Oisin's injury is exaggerated and he's ok for Saturday. His clash with Con is mouth watering.

Who picked up Kilkenny in the final last year? Would Coen be expected to have the job this time? If I was Mayo, I'd be strongly tempted to have Coen manmark Fenton, but then not sure what you'd do with Kilkenny.

If Dublin win, my hunch is that Costello will be the star man, so also very interested to see what Mayo do with him.

Not sure the Dublin defence match ups will be important as the other end, as I'd rate our defenders pretty similar in ability (albeit hindsight will almost inevitably say different. All are good defenders, but all capable of being turned. It was interesting to hear Andy Moran during the week saying he much preferred being on Cooper or Philly than Fitz (the latter the one who usually marked him). It's funny that Tommy Conroy didn't have the greatest game v Galway, but everyone could see the potential there and media are certainly bigging him up as Mayo's biggest scoring threat.

After Ruane's swashbuckling performance v Galway, most are predicting McCarthy will pick him up. That will be interesting too.
Conor Loftus is flying under the radar at the moment, I think there's a big game in him.

Starting to get excited.

thewobbler

Paddy Durcan kept Kilkenny out of the game in the first half. When he didn't reappear after the break, Kilkenny was one of the main reasons for the gap emerging.

WhoDat

any truth that oisin mullin is gone for the season? whatever chance mayo had before is surely significantly diminished without him? he's their x factor player at the moment.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: WhoDat on August 12, 2021, 01:29:10 PM
any truth that oisin mullin is gone for the season? whatever chance mayo had before is surely significantly diminished without him? he's their x factor player at the moment.

Time will tell, Eoghan McLaughlin coming in will be a very able replacement. A blow to be sure but I'm not counting Mayo out in any case
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

MayoBuck

There seems to be 2 stories going round. One is he's gone for the season, the other is it's a minor knock and he'll probably start.

Armagh18

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2021, 01:03:43 PM
Genuinely hope the reports of Oisin's injury is exaggerated and he's ok for Saturday. His clash with Con is mouth watering.

Who picked up Kilkenny in the final last year? Would Coen be expected to have the job this time? If I was Mayo, I'd be strongly tempted to have Coen manmark Fenton, but then not sure what you'd do with Kilkenny.

If Dublin win, my hunch is that Costello will be the star man, so also very interested to see what Mayo do with him.

Not sure the Dublin defence match ups will be important as the other end, as I'd rate our defenders pretty similar in ability (albeit hindsight will almost inevitably say different. All are good defenders, but all capable of being turned. It was interesting to hear Andy Moran during the week saying he much preferred being on Cooper or Philly than Fitz (the latter the one who usually marked him). It's funny that Tommy Conroy didn't have the greatest game v Galway, but everyone could see the potential there and media are certainly bigging him up as Mayo's biggest scoring threat.

After Ruane's swashbuckling performance v Galway, most are predicting McCarthy will pick him up. That will be interesting too.
Conor Loftus is flying under the radar at the moment, I think there's a big game in him.

Starting to get excited.
Hope Mullin is fit for sure, some baller. Durcan was on Kilkenny until he got injured last year I think?

Armagh18

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 12, 2021, 01:47:11 PM

Time will tell, Eoghan McLaughlin coming in will be a very able replacement. A blow to be sure but I'm not counting Mayo out in any case
Would McLaughlin not start anyway? Very good player imo.

Blowitupref

Likely Mayo starting team if Mullin is out.

Robert Hennelly;
Lee Keegan, Padraig O'Hora, Michael Plunkett;
Paddy Durcan, Eoghan McLaughlin, Stephen Coen;
Mattie Ruane, Conor Loftus;
Kevin McLoughlin Aidan O'Shea, Diarmuid O'Connor;
Tommy Conroy, Darren McHale, Ryan O'Donoghue.

Good mix of young and experience. Plenty of power, pace and physicality to match Dublin.

The biggest question mark before this semi final is about Dublin. Can they turn on form like a tap? The way they performed v Meath, Kildare and Wexford will not be good enough to win this semi-final on Saturday evening.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Louther

Mullin would be a massive miss and I'm sure if he any way right they'll try and get part of the game out of him but the whispers don't seem favourable.

Big test for Dublin and generally they answer these tests. Will expect big games from Fenton, McCarthy and Kilkenny to set the agenda.

Can still see Dublin by 4/5pts.

joemamas

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 12, 2021, 02:40:01 PM
Likely Mayo starting team if Mullin is out.

Robert Hennelly;
Lee Keegan, Padraig O'Hora, Michael Plunkett;
Paddy Durcan, Eoghan McLaughlin, Stephen Coen;
Mattie Ruane, Conor Loftus;
Kevin McLoughlin Aidan O'Shea, Diarmuid O'Connor;
Tommy Conroy, Darren McHale, Ryan O'Donoghue.

Good mix of young and experience. Plenty of power, pace and physicality to match Dublin.

The biggest question mark before this semi final is about Dublin. Can they turn on form like a tap? The way they performed v Meath, Kildare and Wexford will not be good enough to win this semi-final on Saturday evening.
Deflated with news of Mullin. If he and Cillian O Connor were playing I would be quite confident, but they are not.......

As for the above line out, Hard to see O Hora (who had a blinder V Galway) being fully fit to last anywhere near 70 mins.
Coen has a great attitude, super fit, and can fill in a number of positions (but IMO does not have the football skill set for intercounty, e.g. mark V galway)
Darren McHale, Bryan Walsh and DOC were very poor, the latter's reputation perhaps deservidly so kept him on the field as long as it did. Other two replaced at halftime.

Only good news is that Mayo have had some time to plan on Mullin's abscence.

Whatever the score, as always they will fight to the bitter end and will no doubt make us proud to be Mayomen, as this long journey moves on to on yet another chapter. I have no doubt that the success of the last Ten years has and will result in the cultivation of some wonderful footballers in Mayo as long as they are coached and managed properly.

From the Bunker

Quote from: joemamas on August 12, 2021, 03:20:35 PM

I have no doubt that the success of the last Ten years has and will result in the cultivation of some wonderful footballers in Mayo as long as they are coached and managed properly.

You mean like they are coached and managed properly in the Dublin set-up that has been heavily funded the last decade and a half?

rrhf

Really looking forward to this game. Langan is a big loss if not playing. Huge ask for Mayo but a big opportunity also. 

joemamas

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 12, 2021, 04:37:37 PM
Quote from: joemamas on August 12, 2021, 03:20:35 PM

I have no doubt that the success of the last Ten years has and will result in the cultivation of some wonderful footballers in Mayo as long as they are coached and managed properly.

You mean like they are coached and managed properly in the Dublin set-up that has been heavily funded the last decade and a half?

No, I mean that we do not revert to the idiots who were responsible for the shannanigans we had at county board for the last few decades, and the nonsense that resulted from their actions.
I.E Manager selection, Buddy system same folks having control of county board, just in different positions.
we have moved on thankfully.
Yes Money and funding a big factor, but the lack of this has impacted more counties other than Mayo,