Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Tyrone by 1-3
Tyrone by 4+
Kerry by 1-3
Kerry by 4+

rrhf

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 16, 2021, 09:54:16 AM
Don't get why Donegal keep getting lauded, they'd plenty of talent but outside of the province they've beaten nobody of note. No semi final since 2014 and lost so many big games they've gone in as favourites under Bonner. I'm so surprised he's been kept on, no doubting there a very talented bunch.

As for Galway, I thought Joyce was given a 2 year term but nothing mentioned since Galways' exit so perhaps it was a 3 year term. So many players made themselves unavailable last year, interesting to see if that it happens again this year. Galway just a huge disappointment, should be doing better.
Enter Jimmy Mc Guinness.

imtommygunn

Tyrone before this year were in an ai final very recently though. Donegal were not.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 16, 2021, 12:18:55 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 16, 2021, 09:54:16 AM
Don't get why Donegal keep getting lauded, they'd plenty of talent but outside of the province they've beaten nobody of note. No semi final since 2014 and lost so many big games they've gone in as favourites under Bonner. I'm so surprised he's been kept on, no doubting there a very talented bunch.

As for Galway, I thought Joyce was given a 2 year term but nothing mentioned since Galways' exit so perhaps it was a 3 year term. So many players made themselves unavailable last year, interesting to see if that it happens again this year. Galway just a huge disappointment, should be doing better.
Until this year Tyrone had beaten "nobody of note" since 2008. That did not mean that they weren't among the best counties in Ireland capable, with the rub of the green, of beating most of the others on a given day.
The games Donegal are playing against Tyrone, Mayo and Kerry are generally very tight. They are definitely in the same bracket IMO.

They definitely aren't, Tyrone prior to this year had got to a final in 2018 and beaten Donegal in what was affectively a quarter final that year too.

In recent years in the championship Donegal have beaten nobody and got knocked out of the championship by Tyrone twice, Mayo, Galway & Cavan.

Talent wise they've under performed.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 16, 2021, 12:26:35 PM
They didn't meet a team of note until they got there.....and when they did they lost.

They beat Donegal in Ballybofey in a proper knockout match.

imtommygunn

Still not too shabby an achievement reaching an ai final. Not that many have done it in recent years. They didn't beat the "big three" but still beat decent teams to get there.

I don't disagree with you that this year took me and probably most of Tyrone by surprise but I don't think Donegal. Monaghan, Armagh, Meath, Galway or cork have an ai in them or tbh close. Donegal could only at a push get near it with Murphy still about but they are really going to dip when he goes.

To counter my own argument though I think if Donegal for Tyrone early they could beat them lol. Latter stages with back door etc back I don't think they could though.

Captain Obvious

Teams that reached the AlI Ireland semi finals since Donegal did last in 2014

Dublin 7 times
Mayo 6
Kerry 5
Tyrone 5
Tipperary 2
Monaghan 1
Galway 1
Cavan 1

2015 to 2021 teams that reached the All-Ireland Quarter finals and weren't good enough to go any further.

Kildare, Cork, Roscommon, Meath, Armagh, Clare, Fermanagh and Donegal.

I think its a safe bet that the 2022 All-Ireland final will be 2 of 4 teams Tyrone, Mayo, Dublin, Kerry.

Armagh18

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 16, 2021, 03:00:46 PM

Dublin 7 times
Mayo 6
Kerry 5
Tyrone 4
Tipperary 2
Monaghan 1
Galway 1
Cavan 1

2015 to 2021 teams that reached the All-Ireland Quarter finals and weren't good enough to go any further.

I think its a safe bet that the 2022 All-Ireland final will be 2 of 4 teams Tyrone, Mayo, Dublin, Kerry.
Hard to believe that Tipp the only team to do it twice outside the big 4. Some going in fairness.

Redhand Santa

Dublin 7 times
Mayo 6
Kerry 5
Tyrone 4
Tipperary 2
Monaghan 1
Galway 1
Cavan 1

Should Tyrone not be on 5 there - 2015,2017,2018,2019 and 2021?

sensethetone

Quote from: Redhand Santa on September 16, 2021, 03:20:11 PM

Dublin 7 times
Mayo 6
Kerry 5
Tyrone 4
Tipperary 2
Monaghan 1
Galway 1
Cavan 1

The young lad with the Donegal top and mayo head band won't like to hear that..

Rossfan

There's a definite bigger 4 who are also the only teams to reach a Final from 2015 on.
Dublin 6
Mayowestros 4
Tyrone 2
Kerry 2.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Should be yes. Years that Tyrone didn't reach the All-Ireland semi finals. Last year with no back door opportunity and 2016 lost by one point to Mayo in the Quarter final.

Redhand Santa

Only 3 teams have won more than 1 All Ireland since the turn of the millenium. All Irelands won since then:
Dubs  8
Kerry  6
Tyrone 4
Donegal 1
Cork 1
Galway 1
Armagh 1

BennyCake

Quote from: Redhand Santa on September 16, 2021, 03:40:22 PM
Only 3 teams have won more than 1 All Ireland since the turn of the millenium. All Irelands won since then:
Dubs  8
Kerry  6
Tyrone 4
Galway 1
Armagh 1
Cork 1
Donegal 1

Was there a reason for putting us bottom?

That's the order. Cork and Donegal won it after us.

BennyCake

Dublin 7 times
Mayo 6
Kerry 5
Tyrone 4
Tipperary 2
Monaghan 1
Galway 1
Cavan 1

I would have to think very hard to name the semi final pairings  this last number of years. I think it's because the qualifier system has diluted the value of the provincial championships. Not only that, but we've seemingly had nothing but an annual regurgitation of the same 4/5 teams at the semi finals stage.

Stall the Bailer

In 2002 when Sligo beat Tyrone, few would have thought Tyrone would win the next year.
It was the same this year. All the top ten teams would feel that if they played Tyrone they could give them a good game and if they were beat it would less than 3 or 4 points. I would say all them would think they could improve by that much by next year. Score a goal more a game or tighten up in defence.
The likes of Dublin and Kerry could improve by more than that. I hope Tyrone improve again and keep all at arms length for another while yet.