Joe Canning retires

Started by mouview, July 28, 2021, 12:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 28, 2021, 08:44:25 PM
Never forget his debut against Cork, but the two things that stand out the most are that reverse hand-pass and the swivel goal against Kilkenny where he should have been hooked but the man had magic in his wrists.

Was his debut not earlier that year V Antrim in Casement in the qualifiers ?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2021, 10:30:32 AM
The one they threw away was against Limerick. Realistically in those KK games they probably weren't good enough. When it came to it Joe stood up so could not be faulted.

Going to replays against Kilkenny & Clare did for Galway in 2018, should have been wrapped up the first day on both occasions.

mouview

Quote from: Kidder81 on July 29, 2021, 01:54:00 PM
Never forget his debut against Cork, but the two things that stand out the most are that reverse hand-pass and the swivel goal against Kilkenny where he should have been hooked but the man had magic in his wrists.

To be pedantic, I think his debut came V Cork in the league semi-final in Limerick, a game they won, and he scored a typical sideline. Lost the final to Tipp' but even then he stood apart.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on July 29, 2021, 03:15:00 PM

To be pedantic, I think his debut came V Cork in the league semi-final in Limerick, a game they won, and he scored a typical sideline. Lost the final to Tipp' but even then he stood apart.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/post/103557698/

Austin Gleeson's successful sideline cut puts him into joint second of the championship's all-time scoring list. His point puts him on eight, level with Clare's 1970's maestro Mick Moroney...he still has some way to catch the man in front however.

Joe Canning is on 28 and counting.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on July 29, 2021, 03:39:29 PM

Austin Gleeson's successful sideline cut puts him into joint second of the championship's all-time scoring list. His point puts him on eight, level with Clare's 1970's maestro Mick Moroney...he still has some way to catch the man in front however.

Joe Canning is on 28 and counting.

You reckon he'll be back?

I don't think he's the type to be retiring more than once...

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

I thought he'd more club. Near as many county club as AI club - you wouldn't see that in many clubs.

Some amount of honours.

From the Bunker

Quote from: johnnycool on July 29, 2021, 03:47:35 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 29, 2021, 03:39:29 PM

Austin Gleeson's successful sideline cut puts him into joint second of the championship's all-time scoring list. His point puts him on eight, level with Clare's 1970's maestro Mick Moroney...he still has some way to catch the man in front however.

Joe Canning is on 28 and counting.

You reckon he'll be back?

I don't think he's the type to be retiring more than once...

You often find, players that come on the scene very young don't last long into their 30's or fade out badly.

Cyril Farrell fan

Joe is helping out Fergal Healy with the Galway minors now.
Even harder to see how he might come back. The only hope is that Shefflin will bring him back in later if Galway are struggling.

Baile an tuaigh

I highly doubt Joe Canning will be back. Although I wonder would he have given it one more year if he new Henry Sheflin was  going to end up managing Galway. In my opinion he is one of the all time greats. He left us a lot of great memories like the day he scored 4 line balls. Hard enough getting one never mind four in a packed Croke Park.

By good fortune I'm going to meet him in two weeks so I'll ask him the same question everyone else will ask, can you give it one more year..

I think Joe should make a coaching video on the technique of how to take line balls and frees. He truly is the master.